Phones
    OptimusV-2.2.2
    LG Optimus V
    Kyocera Loft
    Carrier
    Virgin
    Feedback Score

Question Which is faster,better: wall, usb or car charger

Which is faster,better: wall, usb or car charger?

Some reason Im thinking usb or car charger would be better if its still in use.

The wall AC charger is stepped down and very limited on draw.

The usb n car charger have no such limits, the phone should be able to take as much as it needs to still work well and charge quick, right???

--------
    Kyocera Loft

Carriers
    Cricket GSM (this month)
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure what you mean by "stepped down" with a wall charger, but I'm not familiar with the electronics. I have only had bad experiences with car chargers wiggling loose from the cigarette lighter in transit, or not fitting in properly in the first place. I quit using them and only use the wall chargers for all my phones. I've never used a USB charger, but I don't see how it would charge any differently from a wall charger.
    Last of the talk & text dumphone users

Phones
    OptimusV-2.2.2
    LG Optimus V
    Kyocera Loft
    Carrier
    Virgin
    Feedback Score

Question

Wall charger only puts out 350ma, thats it. But there are no such things on a car or USB socket[well the car charger does have a 1.5A fuse], it should pull as much as it wants or need. In thoery it should charge faster if in use still while charging, ehy?

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Every charger has a maximum current rating. The wall charger for the iPad can supply 2.1 A for instance. Not sure where you got the 350 mA figure from, but that's not a hard limit for wall chargers by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using HowardForums app.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phones
    OptimusV-2.2.2
    LG Optimus V
    Kyocera Loft
    Carrier
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Every charger has a maximum current rating. The wall charger for the iPad can supply 2.1 A for instance. Not sure where you got the 350 mA figure from, but that's not a hard limit for wall chargers by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using HowardForums app.

Right off the side of the wall Charger for my Kyocera Loft , output is 5volts 350ma, car charger is 12v at 1.5a max, the computer IM not sure about volts as a USB port has both but the amps should be as much as it wants.

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 350X View Post
    Right off the side of the wall Charger for my Kyocera Loft , output is 5volts 350ma, car charger is 12v at 1.5a max, the computer IM not sure about volts as a USB port has both but the amps should be as much as it wants.
    Obviously, electronics is not your strong suite. I was going to stay away from this thread because the question is so absurd but now it's going sideways. There should be no difference between 12 car chargers and A/C ("wall") chargers of the same quality (i.e. OEM). They both provide as much power as the phone can utilize. BTW, I've had a lot of trouble with cheap 3rd-party car chargers not working well.
    Donald Newcomb

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The current supply (source) capability of any of the charger types is certainly a factor, but my experience is this: In charging one of my Nokia phones, it charged much faster using the car charger, which implies that more current was being drawn as well as delivered. There must (in this case) be less of a limitation on the current allowed.

In the case of a Palm phone I have, it allows (as per the user's manual) the use of USB charging, but mentions that charging will take a lot longer than with the wall charger, which implies that available current via USB is much less, and knowing what I do about circuitry in a computer, supplying large amounts of current isn't what USB is designed for in the first place, but it can limit itself within safe parameters.

Phones
    OptimusV-2.2.2
    LG Optimus V
    Kyocera Loft
    Carrier
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Obviously, electronics is not your strong suite. I was going to stay away from this thread because the question is so absurd but now it's going sideways. There should be no difference between 12 car chargers and A/C ("wall") chargers of the same quality (i.e. OEM). They both provide as much power as the phone can utilize. BTW, I've had a lot of trouble with cheap 3rd-party car chargers not working well.
    asking questions is how you learn.

Phones
    OptimusV-2.2.2
    LG Optimus V
    Kyocera Loft
    Carrier
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    The current supply (source) capability of any of the charger types is certainly a factor, but my experience is this: In charging one of my Nokia phones, it charged much faster using the car charger, which implies that more current was being drawn as well as delivered. There must (in this case) be less of a limitation on the current allowed.

In the case of a Palm phone I have, it allows (as per the user's manual) the use of USB charging, but mentions that charging will take a lot longer than with the wall charger, which implies that available current via USB is much less, and knowing what I do about circuitry in a computer, supplying large amounts of current isn't what USB is designed for in the first place, but it can limit itself within safe parameters.
    Thanks, I would agree. No clue on the power outtage of a USB 2.0 port but IM sure its not allot.

The wall charger just seemed a bit slower and while poundering it over I looked at the parts I got. Lots of cables n stuff from phone past. The UT Arc I just replaced with the Loft has less stuff so maybe thats why it charges quicker then I looked at the wall cable for it, it put out 5v at 700ma.

Phone
    Palm Pixi Plus
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular via dealer
    Feedback Score
    I'm confused: By USB, do you mean an USB slot on your computer? If so, isn't the computer
    charged by the wall - so the computer is limited by the wall power?

I would think the solution is get higher voltage outlet like for the electric cars. And special adapter plug to
    the cellphone.

Sheng-Chieh

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Yes, the USB connections on the computer. The computer (desktop style) gets its power from the AC mains outlet (wall outlet), and most typical U.S. outlet circuits are capable of delivering around 15 amps of AC, which is a lot of current (with a potential for being a lot of power).

But a computer's circuits run on DC (desktops or laptops), in a setup where the house current is converted to DC by the desktop computer's internal power supply (that's where the majority of the whirring fan noise comes from; that's in the power supply), or the laptop's AC to DC adapter (that big thing in the power cable).

Several different DC voltages are derived and then distributed throughout the computer, each to do a different job. But the actual amount of electrical current is pretty small in any case. The USB standard was designed to be able to supply a certain voltage with a certain current capacity to do light powering of various attached devices, and charging a phone or music player is definitely within the design intentions of that. USB's main purpose being serial communications.

Carriers
    Cricket GSM (this month)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    ...but my experience is this: In charging one of my Nokia phones, it charged much faster using the car charger
    ...and my experience as well, when I am able to maintain the connection. Car chargers were such a PITA to use that I just plug my phone into a wall outlet at first low battery warning. Fortunately I don't have to spend a lot of my day in the car like some people.

Phones
    OptimusV-2.2.2
    LG Optimus V
    Kyocera Loft
    Carrier
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    ...and my experience as well, when I am able to maintain the connection. Car chargers were such a PITA to use that I just plug my phone into a wall outlet at first low battery warning. Fortunately I don't have to spend a lot of my day in the car like some people.
    Im gonna assume that a USB is like a wall charger that only delivers 5volts of DC.

A car charger gives a full 12volts of DC, with as many amps as you want and is thus faster, ehy?

Phones
    OptimusV-2.2.2
    LG Optimus V
    Kyocera Loft
    Carrier
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Haven't been able to test much but I got one of them add on USB 2.0 boxes that takes up a floppy drive space with slots for ever memory card made.

Anyways, it seem to charge very fast even with the screen always on while plugged in.

Soon as it gets a hair warmer Ill be in the shop allot and Ill be using the car charger on my jump booster box. [they need the exercise or they go bad]

Course just sitting still, there is no need to even worry, though it seems to gobble down the power once in use. First day I spent like 2hrs online with it and got the count down to shut down.

Im just ramblin nonsense now but turns out, the wall charger will go back in the box.

Phones
    att note 3, vzw charge
    ATT Note 3
    VZW Charge
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For output of various micro usb systems, do a google for usb micro, or use this url:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus.

As for the above replies, and electronics isn't my strong suit either, but most the replies above are
    more opinion than knowledge based. However, it would be great if someone, who really has insight, into this could help us here. These one size fits all micro usb charger concept sounds better on paper, than in fact.

My issue, is that apparently some of these handset (my galaxy units) can draw more current than a usb charger, oem, car, or home, --are able to supply,, when loaded up with apps. If the above article is correct as to max current is in fact accurate.

In addition, IMO, (and I have no way to measure), the output listed on various chargers, may as well be numbers assigned at random, and while oem, appears of some better quality, it ain't a sure thing. Again, OMO, but I share the frustration of trying to solver the above charger dilemma.

Good arguments could be made that these chargers just aren't up to specs(and the above article is full of them), but I've had some issues with both oem's, when used with another mfg.
    Last edited by plane; 05-02-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast