Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Unlocked phones on MTS HSPA+: Success, Failures and Q&A

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 (UK)
    Carrier(s)
    MTS 4G
    Feedback Score

Unlocked phones on MTS HSPA+: Success, Failures and Q&A

Has anyone used an unlocked device from outside of MTS and had success? Were there any complications? I would like to hear your story! I am particularly interested in Flash capable (smooth playback) devices.

Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    I activated an HTC Desire HD, which I bought outright from Telus.

I rooted and did S-off, which also SIM unlocked the phone.

I then flashed Android Revolution HD 3.3 onto it.

Voice worked right away when I put my SIM card in, to get data working, I just had to add the APN #1 profile:

APN Profile #1

Name: MTS
    APN: sp.mts
    Proxy: Not Set
    Port: Not Set
    Username: Not Set
    Server: Not Set
    MMSC: http://mmsc2.mts.net/
    MMS Proxy: 209.4.229.90
    MMS Port: 9401
    MCC: Should be auto set to 302
    MNC: Should be auto set to 660
    Authentication type: Not Set
    APN: Not Set

That was it. Everything works, and fast to I might add

Feedback Score
    I activated a Rogers HTC Magic no problem. I got the unlock code from ebay (Unlock4u). Put MTS SIM in and entered the unlock code, voice worked right off the bat, then MTS employee entered APN settings for me. It's been working like a charm. I bought the phone used on kijiji.

Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    I bought an AT&T branded Samsung Focus, unlocked it FastGSM.com and activated it Thursday morning. The guys at the local MTS dealer took it, called in, programmed the APN and switched my plan over while I went back to work...everything worked perfectly when I went back at lunch.

I did run into the lack of coverage in Saskatchewan, unfortunately, in a location where I had CDMA coverage and I know Sasktel has HSPA+ coverage. Come on roaming agreement!

Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    I've got my motorola atrix (bought unlocked) to work on the mts network. AMA.

Feedback Score
    my unlocked motorola atrix worked fine for voice & sms, but would not save my APN settings so i had no web on the phone, switched back to my old blackberry

Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KCO2734 View Post
    my unlocked motorola atrix worked fine for voice & sms, but would not save my APN settings so i had no web on the phone, switched back to my old blackberry
    That is quite strange since the apns that were imputed saved just fine. I did go about it a different way then most I believe. This is the way I went about it for my atrix.

1. Load Boot menu by holding the Volume Down button while starting the phone.
    2. Press the Volume Down button until the option "Boot Android (NO BP)" appears at the top of the screen.
    3. Press the Volume Up button to select this option.
    4. On load, the phone will bypass the No SIM card screen, but will ask you to register a MotoBlur account.
    5. At that point I used my home wifi and then registered.
    6. Once that was done it got to the main screen and now you can play around with your atrix. I also rooted my phone at this point.
    7. I then popped in my dad's sim card from rogers just to see if it recognized it and to verify that my phone was indeed unlocked.
    8. I hurried on down to the mts store at pembina and bishop, talked to an awesome dude named James and we popped in a mts sim and imputed the apns. Everything was golden from there.

This is only for the motorola atrix. Hopefully the way I did it works for others!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    MTS 4G
    Feedback Score
    its starting to look like bells atrix doesnt work on mts. at&ts does but its upload speed is broken.

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by neonneophyte View Post
    its starting to look like bells atrix doesnt work on mts. at&ts does but its upload speed is broken.
    I wouldn't say upload is "broken", just the HSUPA or whatever is disabled in the firmware. I'm pretty sure there are ROMs in the XDA forums that claim to enable the faster uplink.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    MTS 4G
    Feedback Score
    pardon my choice of words... not broken, disabled. its a big deal though, 400 kbps is unacceptable.

Feedback Score
    I am looking at going with the Talk, Text & Surf Plan for 54.99 / Month unbundled with Unlimited Data, I was planning on picking up a Blackberry Bold 9780, and eventually using that as a spare because I plan on buying a new Dual Core Android Device once more of them start rolling out.

If I do go with the blackberry, Will data work on another android device if I just switch the SIM. A coworker had told me that I may be able to do that but will not get data because everything will be configured to use the RIM servers.

Can any one confirm if I could get the contract on a blackberry and purchase a Unlocked Android and have full use of data on that device?

Carrier(s)
    MTS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jospehd View Post
    I am looking at going with the Talk, Text & Surf Plan for 54.99 / Month unbundled with Unlimited Data, I was planning on picking up a Blackberry Bold 9780, and eventually using that as a spare because I plan on buying a new Dual Core Android Device once more of them start rolling out.

If I do go with the blackberry, Will data work on another android device if I just switch the SIM. A coworker had told me that I may be able to do that but will not get data because everything will be configured to use the RIM servers.

Can any one confirm if I could get the contract on a blackberry and purchase a Unlocked Android and have full use of data on that device?
    That's a very good question. I'm fairly certain that it should just work if you put in the correct APN setting that you will find in the stickied thread in this forum.

If it actually isn't that easy, then there shouldn't be any reason why an MTS rep wouldn't be able to set you up so you can use your unlocked Android. It's not like you are signing a new contract.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jospehd View Post

Should be just fine as I did that with Rogers, the key here is that the BB has the different encryption process and the providers need to know and put you on a the BB servers. When I went over to my Android Captivate, I called in to Rogers and they said no problem all data will work no problems. I can assume that it should be the same with MTS as the phones are coming from Rogers. Worked okay for me!!

Feedback Score
    I want to report that I got my Desire HD working without a glitch. The store was going super slow, but once it was my turn the guy had a nice cheat sheet on how to access the setup, it took 20 minutes to get it done.

Carrier(s)
    MTS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    How did you guys unlock your Desire HD? I've found a few sites to do it, but I'm just curious what you used.

Today I ordered a Bell HTC Incredible S! Super excited!

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast