Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Unlocked phones on MTS HSPA+: Success, Failures and Q&A

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Took my unlocked HTC Aria to the MTS Connect store in Grant Park mall. They tested it with a SIM card from one of their blackberries, and it got no reception. They said it must have still been locked to AT&T. I brought it home and popped a Rogers SIM card in - and voila, I had 3 bars and could make calls.

Brought it back 20 minutes later, and they popped in another SIM card - no dice. So I guess I might be the first "failure" for an unlocked phone so far. NOT IMPRESSED.

Going to try a different location tomorrow after I flash my phone with a different ROM tonight to see if that will work.

Device(s)
    HTC One (M8)
    Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Had a similar issue with an AT&T Inspire 4G I bought. Spent 15-20 minutes and was told it must not be unlocked (taken from a working Blackberry which I wonder if played in there?) so upon request they just sold me the card. Went out to my car, inserted it, reset phone (possibly) and right away found the network. Went back in got it provisioned (or activated?) and it worked great. Good luck.

(should have maybe noted I rooted my device as I was unable to get an unlock code easily)
    Last edited by Verlin; 04-15-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Verlin View Post
    Had a similar issue with an AT&T Inspire 4G I bought. Spent 15-20 minutes and was told it must not be unlocked (taken from a working Blackberry which I wonder if played in there?) so upon request they just sold me the card. Went out to my car, inserted it, reset phone (possibly) and right away found the network. Went back in got it provisioned (or activated?) and it worked great. Good luck.
    I think that's what I'll do tomorrow - take the risk on the buying the SIM either way. Worst case scenario, I'm selling this phone on eBay, using my Diamond for a bit longer and getting another 4G phone.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    I had an unlocked Bell Atrix, and it would not work for Data, refused to take the proper APN settings. Returned it and picked up a Nexus S.

Simply wasn't worth fighting it. The nexus took less then a minute to start working.

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Is there anything inherently different between the type of SIM cards used by MTS versus Rogers? I noticed the MTS card looked like you could pop out the middle, and the Rogers card is solid...

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    That's just a micro sim that some phones use. iPhone 4 for example.

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmwtfvs View Post
    That's just a micro sim that some phones use. iPhone 4 for example.
    Yeah, but I wondered if that would make any difference...

I'm going to try a different store tomorrow afternoon. I will update.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Try putting your APN's manually, just putting in a mts sim may not work... if you haven't yet.

Using the app 'Network Info II' to see what the phone's connecting to. The bell atrix always said "Rogers wireless..." for the Carrier, with the mts sim.
    The Nexus says MTS for the carrier.

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Would the fact that MTS is only running 850, while Rogers runs 850/1900 be an issue? The phone supports both, though...

Carrier(s)
    MTS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Did you root for the unlock? Maybe that has something to do with it. I bought an unlock for mine and it worked perfectly after inputting APN settings.

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sighter View Post
    Did you root for the unlock? Maybe that has something to do with it. I bought an unlock for mine and it worked perfectly after inputting APN settings.
    I haven't rooted yet, no - but like I said, the fact that it accepts a Rogers SIM with no problems confuses me.

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    So I popped into another MTS Connect store in the city, and in 10 minutes we had it recognizing a signal and I could make a call. Then the rep tried to get me to sign for 3 more years on a more expensive plan, and I walked.

I'm going to try back at Grant Park later today as while they couldn't seem to get it to work, they also seemed willing to let me ride out my current contract no problem.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Derfel View Post
    So I popped into another MTS Connect store in the city, and in 10 minutes we had it recognizing a signal and I could make a call. Then the rep tried to get me to sign for 3 more years on a more expensive plan, and I walked.
    I don't understand why they would be pushing you big time to up your rate plan and renew when you're bringing your OWN device. You should be able to go month-to-month from the sound of things, but that one rep sounds like they wanted to get commission if you renewed (do they get commission on renewals?)
    Man gets hit by Brick Phone! Ouch!

Device(s)
    NOTE 3
    Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Reading through this section I still feel a little lost on what really works and what doesn't. I would like to know if I buy the HTC Desire HD unlocked and take it to MTS what plans can I get... the unlimited surf unlimited mts to mts plans? Also if I buy an iPhone will it work and which plans can I get as well. And all these would be on a month to month, correct? /me scratches head

Cheers!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 (UK)
    Carrier(s)
    MTS 4G
    Feedback Score
    both those phones will work. you want a hspa plan. talk surf and text... talk whatever and whatever. those plans.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast