Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Unlocked phones on MTS HSPA+: Success, Failures and Q&A

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans_Moleman View Post
    I don't understand why they would be pushing you big time to up your rate plan and renew when you're bringing your OWN device. You should be able to go month-to-month from the sound of things, but that one rep sounds like they wanted to get commission if you renewed (do they get commission on renewals?)
    I still have just over a year left on contract, though... I think that's where the trouble started.

Device(s)
    NOTE 3
    Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    So if you bring in your own hardware are we able to go month to month on a unlimited plan?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers PAYG
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntboy View Post
    So if you bring in your own hardware are we able to go month to month on a unlimited plan?

Almost all MTS plans with unlimited data that I've seen are only available on a min 2 year term. That's according to the fine print on the website, I don't know if someone will give it to you without a commitment.

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    OKAY! Went back in, and it all works fine - data, voice, etc is a go!

Didn't have to extend my contract, just had to switch from the Insider Text plan to the Pick-5 plan... same cost. NO EXTENSION TO MY CONTRACT.

Win!

Device(s)
    NOTE 3
    Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the response. A 2 year commitment with your own hardware, thats to bad. Will most likely wait for them to unveil their own iphone in the next few weeks. Just hope (but highly doubt it) the unlimited plan will be including the iphone.

Feedback Score
    When I talked to a MTS customer service rep before I switched to the new contract she said that if I bought out my contract that I could go month to month on any of the plans, regardless of the fine print.
    She also gave me the option for signing up for anything from 1-3 years and they would pay off the 9 months left on the plan. I chose 2 years because that's the sweet spot for MTS phone subsidies.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntboy View Post
    Thanks for the response. A 2 year commitment with your own hardware, thats to bad. Will most likely wait for them to unveil their own iphone in the next few weeks. Just hope (but highly doubt it) the unlimited plan will be including the iphone.
    I could see MTS continue the Unlimited data plan, with a big "but" - MTS may not let customers tether/use homespot, or if you want to tether - they may charge per megabyte unless if you go on a fixed data plan
    Man gets hit by Brick Phone! Ouch!

Device(s)
    Nokia E72, N8, L920
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I was just at the Connect store tonight and they confirmed that if you're coming over to MTS that there is no 24-month requirement to get the $40 plan if you already have an HSPA phone and want to go month-to-month. The worker said that the 24-month contract relates to CDMA service.

That was a concern for me with moving to MTS but now that I know it's not the case I'll likely be signing up tomorrow using my existing Nokia N8.

Device(s)
    NOTE 3
    Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sk1d View Post
    Almost all MTS plans with unlimited data that I've seen are only available on a min 2 year term. That's according to the fine print on the website, I don't know if someone will give it to you without a commitment.
    Went to the MTS Connect store today and asked a few questions, the people there told me you do NOT have to sign a contract with your own hardware its month to month unlimited data plans included. The guy I talked to also said he himself has activated a few iPhones and a Samsung Galaxy without any problems all unlimited month to month.

Feedback Score

iPhone Hotspot - No Dice...

Picked up an unlocked iPhone and activated on MTS today. Everything works fine except I can't enable the Personal Hotspot option. Gives a popup saying that I have to contact MTS. Well, we all know what that means...

Called them and my unlimited data plan doesn't include tethering, however a capped data plan might. They don't know yet because they said they don't support iPhone. Sounds odd considering it's plastered on their website that it's coming soon. If they don't support it now, they've got lots of work ahead of them if they truly are releasing it soon.

Seems contradictory to me that an unlimited data plan would not allow you to in fact use the data that you are paying for, whereas a limited plan would? I don't care if they throttle my usage after a certain amount, but come on.

It's like paying for an all you can eat buffet only to be told that you can't eat the chicken wings or the potato salad. But the guy who paid for one plate can eat anything he wants.

Its not like I want to start an ISP from my iPhone. Would be nice to use a meg or two here or there though...

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Odd about the iPhone... is it jailbreaked? I know my rooted/unlocked Android phone uses the Hotspot option just fine...?

Feedback Score
    No. just stock from the Apple store. Maybe if I jailbreak it I'll have better luck.

I will say that speed and coverage is way better than my old CDMA Storm.

Carrier(s)
    MTS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I have a non-rooted, completely stock android phone and I can use wifi hotspot with no problems. It's a Bell phone (unlocked).

Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    That's because Android kicks the iPhone's *** in terms of extended functionality. Even right out of the box.

Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    This has been my experience so far:

My Android works fine with the Wifi tethering or the usb tethering right out of the box.

I bought my boss and iPhone 4 from the Apple store and ran into the no "tethering" option with MTS. After a few calls and finding out that his plan expired in Dec and was on a Month to Month contract, I made the comment that we may as well switch to the carrier that can provide tethering access. Voila, he now has tethering on his phone. Odd thing is that the Carrier banner no longer says "MTS", it says "Rogers". So i'm assuming they put him on a Rogers data plan until they can get their own sorted out. I'm pretty sure the account is data capped at 1GB (not unlimited), but more then likely he doesn't use that much data anyway (just Exchange email).

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast