Thread: Nokia E71, problem receiving some text messages

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Nokia E71, problem receiving some text messages

Hi, I am having problems with text messages. I am able to send out text messages, but not able to receive all of them back. I have sent them to friends with Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint without any problems. But when they reply, I ca not receive it. I am only able receive text messages from the person with AT&T.

I sent in a support ticket to Straight Talk and they say that since I am able to get a text back from an AT&T user, that there is nothing wrong with the phone and that it must be something with Verizon (or the other service providers).

I am not sure what to do to try to fix this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    If you are sure of the problem then try ST Facebook page for support. They seem to be able to solve problems like this that regular customer service cannot.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkio View Post
    If you are sure of the problem then try ST Facebook page for support. They seem to be able to solve problems like this that regular customer service cannot.
    I did submit a trouble ticket through their FB page and received some emails to them. Their latest reply to me was
    "Nick, upon checking your account everything has been programmed properly. There’s nothing wrong with your phone especially that you are able to send and receive text messages. It’s possible that it’s with the other networks issue.

Thank you for being our customer. To respond, please reply to this email."

I took your suggestion and cut and pasted my original question on ST's FB discussion page and wall. Hopefully, they can come up with a solution for this. So far, this is the only real problem I've had.

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Did you try to email yourself a text and see if it comes through to you? The email format is:

1234567890@mms.att.net

Just an idea of something to try, I have no idea what could be causing the problem.

Phone
    LG 220C, BB 8830, Moto SLVR L7c, others - some good, some bad
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brownnugen View Post
    I did submit a trouble ticket through their FB page and received some emails to them. Their latest reply to me was
    "Nick, upon checking your account everything has been programmed properly. There’s nothing wrong with your phone especially that you are able to send and receive text messages. It’s possible that it’s with the other networks issue.

Thank you for being our customer. To respond, please reply to this email."

I took your suggestion and cut and pasted my original question on ST's FB discussion page and wall. Hopefully, they can come up with a solution for this. So far, this is the only real problem I've had.
    It could be a problem with the intercarrier gateway. The gateway is how messages are sent and received between carriers. They may not be directing the messages correctly to you from the other carriers you mentioned. I don't know how ST handles this, but you may want to ask for a Tier 2 tech support representative to look at the settings in the gateway to make sure your text service is correctly configured in what they may call "Metcalf". I used to work with a mid-sized cell company and often times the configuration in Metcalf was not "pointed" back to allow messages from other carriers to come to you.
    Last edited by techie.thom; 04-02-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Left out the word "tech"

Phone
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkio View Post
    Did you try to email yourself a text and see if it comes through to you? The email format is:

1234567890@mms.att.net

Just an idea of something to try, I have no idea what could be causing the problem.

I think this is for picture messages only. For text messages the format would be:
    number@txt.att.net. I hope this helps the OP...

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I was able to get the text message when I email myself from my hotmail email to the "number@txt.att.net"

But still not able to receive it from my Verizon phone.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techie.thom View Post
    It could be a problem with the intercarrier gateway. The gateway is how messages are sent and received between carriers. They may not be directing the messages correctly to you from the other carriers you mentioned. I don't know how ST handles this, but you may want to ask for a Tier 2 tech support representative to look at the settings in the gateway to make sure your text service is correctly configured in what they may call "Metcalf". I used to work with a mid-sized cell company and often times the configuration in Metcalf was not "pointed" back to allow messages from other carriers to come to you.
    I believe that was the issue. I ended up calling the Customer Service line and speaking to a CSR. At first, they kept saying that it must have been a problem with the other carriers (Sprint and Verizon), but after calmly explaining that those other carriers were able to recieve texts from my ST phone but my ST phone couldn't receive texts from the other carriers, I think she finally got it. I read off the "metcalf" stuff you mentioned and then she put me on hold, while she was on the line with a technical support person.

After a few minutes, she asked me to shut off the phone and then turn it back on. After that I was able receive text messages from the other carriers.

Thanks and customer service from ST has gone surprisingly well.

Phone
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Glad I may have helped you out. I had a lot of those kinds of calls when I worked for the cell phone company, back in the day...