Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Incoming calls going straight to Voicemail, or no rings at all, just dead air?

Feedback Score

Exclamation Incoming calls going straight to Voicemail, or no rings at all, just dead air?

Well, this is new.

I had a couple of people call me today and say they had to try several times to get through - they either got sent straight to Voicemail or there were no rings at all. It just went dead.

So I did a battery pull and simcard pull on my phone, because we all know that works, and used another phone from another carrier to call my Mobilicity number and sure enough, it took me 3 tries to get through. First two went straight to Voicemail, third went through no problem.

Anyone else have these issues? This is getting crazy with all the problems they have.

Feedback Score
    Dead air when someone tries to call you is usually an indication that your cell phone company's network is trying to find your phone. This can happen when the network expects a response from your phone but there was probably a sudden loss in signal (example: entering an underground subway train). This doesn't happen if you turn your phone off before you lose the signal.

Dead air is common with many cell phone companies. Generally, the person who tries to call you doesn't actually have to keep retrying. When the network does find your phone, that's when the person who is calling you will hear a ringing sound. This process can sometimes take about 30 seconds.

During that process of the network trying to communicate with your phone, the person who is calling you will either hear dead air or fake rings. This completely depends on the network of the receiving person is on. When I say fake rings, perfect examples are the Bell and Telus CDMA networks where the person making the call will hear immediate ringing but that does not necessarily mean that the receiving phone is ringing yet. If the receiving end phone is on Rogers, the outgoing caller will not hear any ringing sounds until the receving phone really is ready to receive the call. I'm almost certain that Mobilicity is set up just like Rogers in that aspect.

Feedback Score
    computergeek541 thanks for the detailed explanation.

The odd thing is that I turned call forwarding on my Mobilicity phone to forward to my other one, and incoming calls still had the same problem. Had to try more than once to get through.

I thought it might be my phone too, which is why I forwarded it. But the same thing is happening. Incoming calls were coming from Bell and Rogers. Both callers had similar problems.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carriers
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Hm...how many bars of signal did you have? Because after reading your post, I called myself too, and sure enough, it did a semi-ring through the dialing phone, then went straight to voicemail (this was with 0 bars of signal in my basement, but not disconnected from the network yet). So all I did was move it 1-2 cm (and literally had the phone pinned towards my basement window) and voila! my call goes through with no troubles. So not sure how many bars of signal you had (I'm guessing good enough for you to be ticked off) and literally every cm counts (which sounds silly I know lol).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ECBomb View Post
    Hm...how many bars of signal did you have? Because after reading your post, I called myself too, and sure enough, it did a semi-ring through the dialing phone, then went straight to voicemail (this was with 0 bars of signal in my basement, but not disconnected from the network yet). So all I did was move it 1-2 cm (and literally had the phone pinned towards my basement window) and voila! my call goes through with no troubles. So not sure how many bars of signal you had (I'm guessing good enough for you to be ticked off) and literally every cm counts (which sounds silly I know lol).
    ECBomb, had 1-2 bars of reception. I checked for sure as I was going to call Mobilicity and didn't want them blaming my phone. The kicker was when it happened when I forwarded my Mobilicity number to another cell. An incoming caller got the same thing. 2 tries, straight to voicemail. 3rd try she got through. When I answered the first two times it was dead air.

In hindsight, I should have checked which Voicemail she went to. At the time I expected the calls to go through smoothly though.

On a sidenote, texting was still working fine while my calls were not coming through.
    Last edited by JSmythe; 04-03-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: more info

Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    This is happening on my BlackBerry Curve 3G 9300 -- even though I have 5 bars, most of the times incoming calls go straight to voicemail. Downtown Toronto. Tried re-flashing the phone, it didn't work. I think the phone's gone nuts as this hasn't been a problem until recently...

Phones
    SGSIII
    SGSIII
    N8 Green, Nexus S, S2X T989D
    Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    If ur BB is unlocked then u better set the network as manual instead of automatic, as per the OP, maybe the settings on the network provider of ur phone may be a bit mixed, check them to c if anything makes it better, just remember what u change so things can be reverted before is too late. Best luck

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carriers
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSmythe View Post
    ECBomb, had 1-2 bars of reception. I checked for sure as I was going to call Mobilicity and didn't want them blaming my phone. The kicker was when it happened when I forwarded my Mobilicity number to another cell. An incoming caller got the same thing. 2 tries, straight to voicemail. 3rd try she got through. When I answered the first two times it was dead air.

In hindsight, I should have checked which Voicemail she went to. At the time I expected the calls to go through smoothly though.

On a sidenote, texting was still working fine while my calls were not coming through.
    Ya ok, I get what you mean. Sucks that it's happening to you because it's been fine for me here in Vancouver as long as I have signal. What you're experiencing now was what I had to deal with when I was with WIND. Not to mention that text wouldn't go through for me neither though.

Carriers
    Mobilicity
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Get a dealer or customer care to refresh your device.

Carrier
    WIND Mobile - Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    This problems are caused because the tower your phone is connected to is busy with too many callers. This is starting to happen now with Mobilicity due to an increase in subscribes numbers.

The last two weeks I started getting network busy and calls going straight to voicemail in downtown Toronto. The only thing to change that is adding more towers and reducing the range of each tower...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rangelpm View Post
    This problems are caused because the tower your phone is connected to is busy with too many callers. This is starting to happen now with Mobilicity due to an increase in subscribes numbers.

The last two weeks I started getting network busy and calls going straight to voicemail in downtown Toronto. The only thing to change that is adding more towers and reducing the range of each tower...
    I've been wondering that, too. For the first few months Mobi was great. Lately, I've been experiencing dropped calls, uncompleted calls, and dead air and echos on the calls that do complete. I'm wondering if in a few months Mobi will be just as bad as Wind, but without the usable data. I'm glad I've kept my Fido line - Mobi might just fizzle before it really gets going.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobilicity604 View Post
    Get a dealer or customer care to refresh your device.
    I will definitely do this. Seems to help for a very short time and will be the third time this week they have done a refresh.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rangelpm View Post

THIS is very interesting and something I never even thought of.

And I am getting more "this call cannot be completed" errors, then try again right away and it goes through...hmm...never happened before.

And when I first joined, Mobilicity was very good, very reliable and they have definitely deteriorated over the last month or so to the point where it is not even usable as a reliable carrier.

Again, today, incoming calls did not go through. Had a few dropped calls. And as per usual on a daily basis, my data disconnected several times and I had to reconnect it.

On a positive note, my texting is working pretty good. Go Mobilicity!

Feedback Score
    My landlord called today and said she was trying to call me between 1pm and 4:30pm yesterday and got either a busy signal, or dead air.

I was working and didn't use my phone during that time, but when calling a friend at around 6 from home, the call dropped 3 times in a row.

Working fine today, but that was not cool.

Phones
    Nexus S
    Nexus S
    Nokia 5230
    Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I have been getting the same problem people try to call me I have signal they nothing or goes straight to VM.
    Hope Mobilicity is reading this forum

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast