Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Net10 LG 900g audio quality problems: Phone or AT&T network?

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Net10 LG 900g audio quality problems: Phone or AT&T network?

I just this past weekend help steer a friend to this phone. He had been using an LG 220c on the Verizon side, and the coverage just wasn't cutting it. At his house, my T-Mobile phone was roaming on AT&T and getting four bars! He couldn't make a call with his setup. We knew he needed to switch.

All the talk about the LG 900g (plus all the reading I did on it via Google) suggested it was a really nicely featured device (it is), and we got it on sale at Target Saturday. Last one on the peg!

There were a few snags with activation; a delay after he saw his minutes and days, plus the phone thereafter just showed "activation required". He got it sorted out with Miami CS within a day.

And indeed he now can call from inside his house (Yay!). Problem is, the sound is just kind of...blah, for lack of a better term. Realizing that cell phone audio is already pretty lo-fi, compared to a landline that is itself lo-fi, his phone's audio is even lower. Just kind of compressed and narrow sounding.

I'm wondering if this is typical of this model phone, or is it perhaps a sample defect, or is this what AT&T's network sounds like (due to codec choices, for example), for those who might venture an opinion?

I would guess he's got 30 days to return, considering it's from Target. I'm thinking maybe getting him to try a Samsung t404g, especially if we can find a sale. How do you think it compares? I know it's at least $10 more depending on the source and/or sales. Or perhaps just another copy of the LG 900g.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I just this past weekend help steer a friend to this phone. He had been using an LG 220c on the Verizon side, and the coverage just wasn't cutting it. At his house, my T-Mobile phone was roaming on AT&T and getting four bars! He couldn't make a call with his setup. We knew he needed to switch.

All the talk about the LG 900g (plus all the reading I did on it via Google) suggested it was a really nicely featured device (it is), and we got it on sale at Target Saturday. Last one on the peg!

There were a few snags with activation; a delay after he saw his minutes and days, plus the phone thereafter just showed "activation required". He got it sorted out with Miami CS within a day.

And indeed he now can call from inside his house (Yay!). Problem is, the sound is just kind of...blah, for lack of a better term. Realizing that cell phone audio is already pretty lo-fi, compared to a landline that is itself lo-fi, his phone's audio is even lower. Just kind of compressed and narrow sounding.

I'm wondering if this is typical of this model phone, or is it perhaps a sample defect, or is this what AT&T's network sounds like (due to codec choices, for example), for those who might venture an opinion?

I would guess he's got 30 days to return, considering it's from Target. I'm thinking maybe getting him to try a Samsung t404g, especially if we can find a sale. How do you think it compares? I know it's at least $10 more depending on the source and/or sales. Or perhaps just another copy of the LG 900g.
    I have had many Tracfone/Net10`s on T-mobile, but mainly on AT&T, and voice quality has been very good. Soundss like the problem may be the phone.

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Motorola A1200R
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Mine has excellent voice quality when I call other GSM phones. But as soon as I call someone with a CDMA phone, the audio quality goes to sh*t. The problem is on the CDMA side. Never liked CDMA voice quality, everyone that I talk to with a CDMA phone sounds like they are in a tunnel with a horrid echo effect.
    HOW TO UNLOCK AND FLASH A NET10 LG 900G
    http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f177...hread-1176052/

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    I'm making my comments based on talking to the guy via my landline. His audio has problems, but I set him up to be able to swap phones at Target, so hopefully he'll take advantage and get that done. Everyone deserves good audio!

Phones
    LG 600g
    LG 225
    Moto w376g
    Carriers
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I've had a couple of people tell me the audio was horrible on their end, when I was talking on my 900g. In fact, once I switched from the 900g to an old freebie 600g, and the other person told me the 600g sounded good while the 900g made it sound like I was "under water." Both people I'm talking about here were on Charter cable phone service.
    On another call to a Sprint BlackBerry, audio was terrible on both ends, although I was in a car at highway speeds and the other party was pretty deep inside a large building, where he told me he typically gets poor reception.
    It could be just coincidence, but it's starting to look to me like the 900g has poor audio, which is really disappointing to me if it's true.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.1)

Thanks for the replies, and your comments pbushx2. We haven't really heard much from people on this topic. I'm anxious to see if my friend follows through and swaps out the phone. That way I'll know, and I'll be sure to pass along the findings. Lots of times when people buy a phone, they're so into the features and the look of it they don't consider what the transmit audio sounds like, until someone comments about it. Definitely a deal maker/breaker for me. Pbushx2, PM comin' atcha.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Here's kind of a Trac/Net10 newbie question, but it's kind of critical, and I couldn't find the answer out any other way: When exchanging a phone (intending to get another of the same model), you cannot "surrender" the original one to the store before you have the new one available to transfer the account over, can you? In other words, you can't let the store have and process the original phone until you get the account, including the desired original telephone number, onto the new one, correct? Otherwise you risk losing the account, yes? If this is true, I think the person at Target gave me the wrong info, maybe thinking the new phone was simply going to be a new account (perhaps to a different provider), and all that would be needed in that case would be a port process.

We'll probably have to purchase the new one outright before returning the original, instead of letting the store simply exchange it, so that we can do the switch with Net10. Any tips on this, let 'em rip.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    When the return is processed through the store`s cash register the phone is de-activated. Trac would ask for Info off the old phone in order to transfer the phone number and remaining airtime, which you will no longer have in your possession. This type of return de-activation may be permament compared to a regular de-activation.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you would have to purchase the second phone and then transfer the service over, before returning the original. Good thing you realized this before your friend did the return!

As far as the audio quality, it may depend on the area and congestion of the network. I've had an AT&T TracFone for ages (my main postpaid phone is on T-Mobile) and sound quality is always below-par compared to my T-Mobile phone, which sounds _very_ good. Does your friend know of anyone else on AT&T that he can ask or compare to? I find sound quality on T-Mobile, Sprint, and Nextel to be very good. AT&T and Verizon are a little muted and just not as rich sounding, and I'm talking about several different phones not just one. A lot of it is subjective so YMMV.
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Primary: Galaxy Note 3 and LG F6: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4 & Optimus Dynamic II: TracFone (Verizon); Galaxy Epic: RingPlus (Sprint)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the comments TF'er and IB. Yeah, I knew what I originally thought was correct about how to switch. This is another example of the store personnel not knowing all the ins & outs of their prepaid products, then giving out bogus info.

I just wish at this point the guy (my friend) had been able to get a Motorola W377, which I understand was a great signal grabber and had relatively great audio.

I don't see much trade in Trac/Net10 phones on the used market (CraigsList; haven't checked eBay). Do people just not bother with them when they stop using them; put 'em in a drawer or toss 'em? I'd love to have the pick of some of the more desired models for a situation like this, even just to temporarily switch an account over to.

BTW, what is the consensus on how the online switch feature works (changing phones Net10 to Net10 GSM). Seems like I've heard it's a bit wonky at times and people were advised to call the Miami CS #. But for a non-porting situation in the GSM realm it seems like it would be pretty handy. Any advice on that?

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Motorola A1200R
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Hey everyone, before you go returning your 900G. Let me find the setting in Engineering Mode that will allow you to change the AMR from Half Codec to Full Codec. This will significantly improve your phone's audio quality for both uplink and downlink. Give me a day or two.

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Scotsman828,

When you check on on that, will this be the phone you re flashed to become a GW300/does not work on Net10 anymore, or do you have another stock locked down/LG900G to change settings on in your arsenal of phones?

Half rate does suffer greatly if you have a poor signal and a lot of background noise in with you. Too many bits go a missing.

Full rate may pose a problem if there there is a channel capacity issue at the time. If Adaptive rate is available, this help in this situation. The rate you get will be determined by the system as the call is being initialized or there is a hand off.

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Motorola A1200R
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    It's the same phone that I flashed but the Engineering Menu is still the same as on the 900G.
    I've found that full rate codec is much better. I know cellular companies don't like people setting their phones to full rate because they can squeeze more calls per tower when phones are set to half rate.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Interesting concept. Is it a matter of certain key presses to access it? I've heard of the half-codec thing with AT&T, vs. T-Mobile using full rate (or so it is said). Keep us posted!

But it's a little unusual that, with the popularity of this model, few reports of this kind of problem seem to have surfaced. Seems more like a sample defect kind of thing, not endemic to the model across the board.

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Motorola A1200R
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Well, no luck with changing the Audio Codec. The LG isn't as straight forward as Motorola. I played with the audio settings in the Engineering Menu, but nothing seemed to make much of a difference on audio quality in calls. To change the audio codec from half rate to full rate may need a script flash, but since this phone has very little support in the modding community, it's unlikely to be found.
    Last edited by Scotsman828; 04-08-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast