Nokia Lumia 520
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Samsung Galaxy Note i717
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Movies on LG 900G Net10?

Has anyone been successful watching movies on this phone that were not made by the video camera? I converted MP4 movies to 3GP, but still can't watch them. I have tried two converters. They produce two outcomes depending on the settings I choose. Good picture and sound for 2 seconds then a pause like the phone does not have enough memory or a pixelated picture and continuous sound. Any help would be appreciated.

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Motorola A1200R
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Make sure the frame count is 15 frames per second. Use lower encoding quality. It takes some trial and error to get the right setting.
    HOW TO UNLOCK AND FLASH A NET10 LG 900G
    http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f177...hread-1176052/

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

How to encode videos for the LG 900g using HandBrake...

I'm new around here but I just got a 900g myself, great phone so far. Had issues getting my NET10 number switched from the old phone - Motorola EM326g, would have continued using it save for the craptastic battery life and the audio from the headphone jack was like listening to an AM radio inside a shoebox on the other side of a wall in another room - kinda sucked). Guess the original SIM card in this new 900g up and died at some point and never let me make calls but, they sent me a new SIM in 2 days (sent Wednesday, arrived today) and all I did was turn the phone off, put the new SIM in, turn it on, and 2 minutes later I was finally up and running. So far so good.

Now, as for the video encoding thing, I'm a big fan of using HandBrake and highly recommend it. Protip: forget messing around with 3GP containers, they're so old and useless it's not even worth the trouble, and the 900g can play mp4 containers just fine. The real trick is knowing what you can put inside that mp4 container, primarily regarding the video stream, but I figured it out.

Here's the one undeniable fact that I've encountered so far: the LG 900g does not support h.264 video streams, period. If it does, then someone needs to offer me a video container holding some actual h.264 video stream info 'cause so far, nothing ever plays if it's h.264 encoded.

However, HandBrake offers two encoders: x264 for h.264 content and FFmpeg for creating h.264 (which the 900g can't handle) and h.263 content which the 900g CAN play without issues. So, that's that secret, and here's my workflow:

1) Get the latest public HandBrake version (0.9.5) and install it, run it when you're ready to do this.

2) Load the source material, whether it's a single video file you want transcoded or a DVD, etc, doesn't matter.

3) Once the content is loaded, select the iPod preset (bear with me as I explain this) in the top "Apple" section - NOT the iPhone/iPod touch preset, however. Choose the iPod preset. You'll know you have it because you'll be able to see the video width on the Picture tab (lower left side of HandBrake) change to 320 pixels wide - don't change anything at this point on the Picture tab - leave everything exactly as it is, 320 pixels wide, that's it.

4) Click the Video tab, and this is where we make a change: alter the Video Codec from H.264 (x264) to MPEG-4 (FFmpeg). What this will do, based on the iPod preset, is actually use FFmpeg to create an h.263 encoded video stream which is precisely what the 900g can handle easily.

5) Change the Average Bitrate to 500 Kbps (or 512 Kbps, won't make much difference in quality but some people use that 512 figure as a mental thing) and check the box that says 2-Pass Encoding. If you're up for it, you can do a sample encode with that box unchecked, then do it again with the box checked, and see if you note a difference in quality. Some people do, some people don't, but it's there if you want it - just increases the encoding time for no really good reason. Remember: you're encoding video to be played back on a 2" screen with 320x240 resolution - it's only going to look so good, folks.

6) You can leave the Framerate as "Same as source" or drop it down if you're so inclined: the 900g can handle 30 fps but it might "choke" or stutter sometimes - I haven't noticed it and I always use "Same as source" myself. That's it for the Video tab.

7) On the Audio tab, I would suggest altering the audio to Stereo and 128 Kbps. Again, we're dealing with a small device, low quality screen, and while 160 Kbps AAC technically is superior, there's not that much audible difference so stick with 128 Kbps and you'll be fine.

8) On the Subtitles tab all you can do is burn them in permanently - I have to do this for the videos I create since my Wife is deaf, but I'm so used to seeing subs in all the movies and TV shows we watch together (and captions sometimes, entirely different beast in most respects) that I don't even notice them much anymore

9) On the Chapters tab, uncheck the "Create chapter markers" box - the 900g's media player isn't capable of chapter marker reading so there's no purpose in putting them in, and it can alter the file extension from mp4 to m4v. The 900g can only read mp4 files - if it shows m4v, you have to change the extension manually BEFORE YOU DO THE ENCODING. You cannot create an m4v file and change the extension - the 900g will choke and not play the files.

NOTE: This is probably the most critical thing you have to pay attention to BEFORE you do the encoding: verify the extension for the target encode is mp4 or you'll end up doing this twice.

When all is said and done, that's it: click Start and wait for it to finish. My suggestion is to do a couple of small files, like YouTube videos you've downloaded or whatever, just short files a minute or two in length. Don't do a full 2 hour movie encode because if you muck up the settings you'll get pissed off and frustrated and have to start over again. Follow the workflow I laid out above and after 4-5 times you'll be doing it without even thinking.

The workflow above produces very nice looking video footage that's easily watchable and even the subs come through clear enough for my Wife to watch them on the 2" LCD of the 900g. Here's a sample I made from a DVD chapter of the movie "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" the other day. It’s 2:22 long, about 10MB in size, mp4 format (h.263 video stream, AAC 128Kbps stereo audio):

http://www.mediafire.com/?ce97xdo2qdq8c93

And here's a trailer for TRON Legacy, transcoded from the original 1280x720 clip, using the same settings outlined above. It has some color banding but, that's to be expected given that the source material is millions of colors but the 900g's LCD is only capable of 256K color reproduction. Hey, this ain't perfect, but it's damned sure better quality than any 3GP video is gonna get.

(h.263 512Kbps video stream, AAC 128Kbps stereo audio stream, 11.4MB, 2:29 duration)

http://www.mediafire.com/?97d1dv8o15o2r41

Looks fine to me, and the entire movie (Harry Potter, that is) came out to about 550MB or so (and that movie is nearly 2.5 hours long), which is what I expected. You can also tell HandBrake to make a movie a given size on the Video tab; just input the target size (400, 500, 600MB, etc) and it'll adjust the bitrate as required to make the movie "fit" your target size.

That's about it, and this works great for me. If you take a look at the video properties, you'll be able to see it's using an h.263 encoded video stream - the 900g simply will not play anything that's h.264 and I've tried dozens of videos and even ~10 encodes I've made with HandBrake of all different settings: baseline, main profile, etc over and over and nothing works if it's h.264. It just won't play h.264 content that I've been able to figure out so far.

This process seems complicated, but as of right now I can start an encode for the 900g in under 20 seconds because I've done it so often. Start HandBrake, load the source, set the settings, Start, wait, done. It's automagic now.

Good luck...

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Motorola A1200R
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Got any suggestions on how to convert video taken by the phone into something that's actually playable on the internet. I'm trying several programs but cannot get the video to convert properly. I've tried uploading a video directly to Facebook, Flash Player plays the sound but video is grayed out.

Phones
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Samsung Galaxy Note i717
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the write up br0adband. I tried six converters before this and never had a video that you could watch on this phone. So far there have not been any problems with files that start out under 100 MB playing on the phone. Full length movies still come up with the hesitations. I guess I will keep playing with the settings and try to get it to work. All this trouble makes me miss my "smartphones" but I will spend less for four months of service with Net10 than I did for one month of T-Mobile. I could live with this trade off.

Feedback Score
    br0adband,

I'm not very techno savvy, but I followed your directions to encode a movie onto my lg 900g, I did everything to a T (3 times) and while I was able to get it onto my phone, it's not playable. What should I put as the destination file? And what program should it open as?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    The phone can't play MP4 files derectly? the .MP4 files is the most popular video formats.
    If you need to do conversion, I think you should turn to Video converter pro, such as Aneesoft, that can output almost video formats~

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ewick View Post
    br0adband,

I'm not very techno savvy, but I followed your directions to encode a movie onto my lg 900g, I did everything to a T (3 times) and while I was able to get it onto my phone, it's not playable. What should I put as the destination file? And what program should it open as?

Thanks!
    I guess the question would be: did you grab either of the demo clips I created and try them on your 900G? It took me quite a while to get the workflow down to the steps I listed in the post above, and that workflow is exactly how both those clips were created, step by step.

If those clips play you should be good to go - if not then something's funky someplace because they (and the other clips I've created) all play on my 900G just fine.

Also, as a big tip, when doing testing for encodings, try to use a short video file or just a chapter of whatever movie you want to encode. That way you don't waste hours for nothing - do a short clip, takes a few minutes, verify it encoded, verify it can play on the 900G, then do the whole file with the exact same settings and you should be good to go.

The one negative of HandBrake to this day (at least for me) is that you still can't say the precise settings you choose as a preset. The way HandBrake works is that it can save most of the settings in a preset but not everything so you end up having to set everything manually every single time you make a new encode. If you make one change to most anything outside of the steps outlined above, it'll muck something up and you have to start over again.

Jane55:

mp4 is a container, it is not technically a video format. It's just a container that has an audio and video stream inside the container (and it can hold other stuff too like subtitle streams, chapter markers, etc). It gets complicated fast.

Just because you have some video file that is called <whatever>.mp4 does not automagically mean it'll play on the 900G. The mp4 container has to be holding audio and video streams that the 900G is capable of decoding aka playing them. Most of the mp4 files out there aren't compatible straight off on the 900G - it's a phone, primarily, not even technically a 'media player' in many respects. The fact that it CAN play videos at all is still somewhat amazing, for a $30 device (at least that's what I paid for mine).

It's rather limited but the instructions I provided above should be able to convert aka transcode most any video file (including mp4 ones you acquire from wherever) into a properly encoded mp4 container that has audio and video streams the 900G can actually play.

Hope this helps some...

Phones
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Samsung Galaxy Note i717
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ewick View Post
    br0adband,

Thanks!
    For me, short movie clips worked fine with the directions that Broadband gave. Any file larger than 100mb before conversion would just give me a black screen telling me failed try again later or the video would hesitate every few seconds while the audio kept playing. Here is the write up again with changes that I had to make for my phone to see full length movies.

1) Get the latest public HandBrake version (0.9.5) and install it, run it when you're ready to do this.

2) Load the source material, whether it's a single video file you want transcoded or a DVD, etc, doesn't matter.

3) Once the content is loaded, select the iPod preset (bear with me as I explain this) in the top "Apple" section - NOT the iPhone/iPod touch preset, however. Choose the iPod preset. You'll know you have it because you'll be able to see the video width on the Picture tab (lower left side of HandBrake) change to 320 pixels wide -*don't change anything at this point on the Picture tab*- leave everything exactly as it is, 320 pixels wide, that's it.

4) Click the Video tab, and this is where we make a change: alter the Video Codec from H.264 (x264) to MPEG-4 (FFmpeg). What this will do, based on the iPod preset, is actually use FFmpeg to create an h.263 encoded video stream which is precisely what the 900g can handle easily.

5) Change the Average Bitrate to 500 Kbps (or 512 Kbps, won't make much difference in quality but some people use that 512 figure as a mental thing) and check the box that says 2-Pass Encoding. If you're up for it, you can do a sample encode with that box unchecked, then do it again with the box checked, and see if you note a difference in quality. Some people do, some people don't, but it's there if you want it - just increases the encoding time for no really good reason. Remember: you're encoding video to be played back on a 2" screen with 320x240 resolution - it's only going to look so good, folks.

Throw Back's Change: Change the Average Bitrate to 96 kbps. There is no need to check the boxes for VFR, two pass encoding and turbo first pass

6) You can leave the framerate as "Same as source" or drop it down if you're so inclined: the 900g can handle 30 fps but it might "choke" or stutter sometimes - I haven't noticed it and I always use "Same as source" myself. That's it for the Video tab.

Throw Back's Changes: Change the framerate to 5 fps. Change constant quality from 12 down to the range of 7 to 5. Any lower and your video will stop or stutter every few seconds. The closer you get to one, the better the picture gets.

7) On the Audio tab, I would suggest altering the audio to Stereo and 128 Kbps. Again, we're dealing with a small device, low quality screen, and while 160 Kbps AAC technically is superior, there's not that much audible difference so stick with 128 Kbps and you'll be fine.

Throw Backs's Changes: Set mixdown to stereo, samplerate to 44.1 and bitrate to 48

8) On the Subtitles tab all you can do is burn them in permanently - I have to do this for the videos I create since my Wife is deaf, but I'm so used to seeing subs in all the movies and TV shows we watch together (and captions sometimes, entirely different beast in most respects) that I don't even notice them much anymore

9) On the Chapters tab, uncheck the "Create chapter markers" box - the 900g's media player isn't*capable*of chapter marker reading so there's no purpose in putting them in, and it can alter the file extension from mp4 to m4v. The 900g can only read mp4 files - if it shows m4v, you have to change the extension manually*BEFORE YOU DO THE ENCODING. You cannot create an m4v file and change the extension - the 900g will choke and not play the files.

NOTE: This is probably the most critical thing you have to pay attention to BEFORE you do the encoding: verify the extension for the target encode is mp4 or you'll end up doing this twice.

Throwback's change: Change the extension for the destination file from mp4 or m4v to 3gp. Press start and wait for it to finish. Your video for your phone will be about 10% the size of the original.

Feedback Score
    I could not figure out how to download handbrake on my phone? Also would by performing these tasks could I download videos and movies directly on my phone or do I have to transfer them from a computer?
    Any support is appreciated.

Phones
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Samsung Galaxy Note i717
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    You download and do the conversion from your computer.

Feedback Score
    try this ( Ultra Mobile 3GP Video Converter 3.9 ), just add a file, choose an output folder and click convert. It realy is just that simple and it works great, pretty fast too. I found it on the Kickass Torrents Site. Cheers.

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Does that phone even have the processing power to play movies.? Guess I am spoiled with the iPad and kindle fire. The 900 will dl ringtones with myxer and it is a very good alarm clock and texter. I haven't tried movies on it.
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Phones
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Samsung Galaxy Note i717
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Wow! forgot I had this phone. It has the ability to play movies. It took me a month to figure out the settings to get audio and video to sync. Once you watch a movie on this, you will appreciate your Ipad more.

Nokia Lumia 520

Feedback Score
    I know this is an old thread, but I will leave a post anyway. After extensive searching I found ( Ultra Mobile 3GP Video Converter ), on kickass torrents, I love this converter for the LG900G, just add any video, choose output folder and click Convert, it really is that simple. I now use my phone for watching movies more than my Archos 605 WIFI, ( 6 - 24 hour charge time vs 1 - 2 hours on the LG900G ).
    I hope that this helps, the LG900G is agood phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast