Thread: Purchased a used phone... Can't activate... Negative list

Carriers
    AT&T
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Purchased a used phone... Can't activate... Negative list

I purchased a used phone (iphone, not that it matters) and am having issues activating it on my line. Verizon tells me that the phone is on their negative list.

After contacting the seller, I've learned (after being placed on speaker phone to over hear her call in to customer service) that I cannot activate the phone until 4/12. She ported the number that was on the phone out 2 hours before she sold me the device. Her account is in suspension status until the end of her billing cycle. I've been reassured by her a few times that the phone can be activated on 4/12, and it has not been reported lost/stolen. Naturally VZW wont tell me anything (other then the negative list status) do to it not being on her account.

The term "negative list" scares me, but CS says it could be on that list for any number of reasons, including account suspension. Has anyone experienced this before?

The seller has been super responsive through this whole process including meeting me at a local store the day after the sale to see what we could do. I'd like to think that I haven't been scammed... but I tend to assume the worst

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    After an account has been canceled with Verizon, the ESN remains locked for a period of time (usually 30 days, it could be 14 now with the new return policy) in case the customer wanted to re-open the account. In other words, her VZW account is still active in Verizon's system with the iPhone still registered to said account.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That makes perfect sense. She even tried to assign a new number to that line and reactivate it, but the guy in the store said it couldn't be done (I forgot the reason he gave). She was thinking about doing a device swap and then canceling the line again.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Last 5: HTC Thunderbolt
    Motorola Droid, BB Tour, BB Storm, BB Pearl
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The fact that she's been so responsive (even going to the store with you and putting a call on speakerphone) would lead me to believe she's telling the truth.

As iFlaunt said, her reasoning for the phone not being able to be activated is a legit one. I believe the reasoning actually has to do with the ETF not being paid yet, though, rather than in case she wants to reopen the account.

As long as you're willing to wait until the 12th, I wouldn't be too worried.

Feedback Score
    Since it sounds like the seller is local, get your money back. Tell him/her that you will buy the phone back on the 12th. Why risk it if you don't have to?
    How is it that we give up houses, businesses and bank accounts when we want a divorce but can't part with a couple of hundred bucks to find cellphone bliss?