Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: To root or not to root, this might help

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

To root or not to root, this might help

If I were not rooted this might make me decide to do so.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...147?nomobile=1

By now most of you probably heard that Pandora is under investigation for how much personal data they transmit to advertisers from your smartphone. Turns out enough data might be sent to allow am advertiser to identify who you are, where you work and more.

What does this have to do with being rooted? Well, if you are rooted you can run adfree android and block the data. Given this info, will some of you non-rooted Intercept or Optimus users consider rooting now?

Sent from my Optimus Stalker

Feedback Score
    rooting can help secure your phone also seems like...

App that wants to get root behind your back? Superuser saves the day! want to block ads and prevent sites from data mining? AD-FREE!

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    This could be the start of a good thread. I'm on the fence about rooting myself. Personally, if I could absorb the whole workings of 'Android', I'd feel better. That that way I'd know what I need, what I can delete, etc. Lot of good info out there on all that- in pieces.

Anyone else have input on benefits of rooting your phone?

-Optimus V user-

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well you can get rid of the bloatware, overclock, install custom ROMs and as stated above secure your phone. I have said it before, I wouldn't buy an Android phone I couldn't root. Without root you are stuck with crapware from the manufacturer and carrier. I wouldn't buy a new computer that came with preinstalled software that I was not allowed to uninstall, why do it with my phone?

Feedback Score
    Also on the fence. Had Pandora about a week, never used it (I have plenty of MP3's and Tune-In Radio, makes me happy). I would like to root, but so many different threads... guys that rooted and bricked the phone... guys that rooted and say they have no WiFi... is there one reliable way to root where you don't loose anything important? Wish there was an actual "1 click root"... just like installing an app.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I do believe the optimus uses a one click root. I think you use one to get temporary root and one to get permanent root.

I can't recall hearing of someone bricking from a simple root. Bricking usually only happens when you either flash the wrong files or skip steps when flashing stuff.

Feedback Score
    If you can follow directions then you will never brick.

Optimus V has one click solutions which make it nearly IMPOSSIBLE to brick. Intercept isn't too hard either but a few extra simple steps.

Feedback Score
    Which instructions? There are several....

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2, Motorola Droid X
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    During the short time (1 month) I had my Optimus V, I never felt the need to root it as I did with my Motorola Droid 1 on Page Plus. There was no need to install Droidwall (VM BT plans have unlimited data), SetCPU (the Optimus V was plenty fast enough without it) or Wireless Tether (Quick Settings allows access to the hotspot feature without rooting).

But I may have eventually wound up rooting my Optimus V anyway just to get rid of the crapware.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1QSJ...eature=related

Checked out this vid and was all glad that I could temporarly root my phone but apparently Universal Android Root isn't supported for the optimus v, kinda sucks. Some developer should really make one for the V.

Feedback Score
    I was on the fence for a long time too but I finally bit the bullet and decided to attempt root. I jailbreaked my Ipod so I wasnt completely in the dark about messing around with that stuff. I used Superoneclick, but instead of hitting the shell root button to get temp root, I hit the root button. Everything went smooth as silk and I had root. I thought it was just a temp root and I would lose through rebooting so initially I was just going to get rid of the bloatware, reboot , and go back to unroot. but when I rebooted, the phone was still rooted.

besides ad-free, I love the autostarts app that allows you to keep those pesky apps that continually restart themselves from restarting. other root apps I installed are SDX stock app removal tool, Titanium backup, Root Explorer, Quick Boot, Cache Cleaner NG.

I havent attempted flashing custom recovery yet but probably will down the road.

Feedback Score
    I was reading through old threads and saw people complaining that when rooting/using cyanogenmod that the wifi / proximity sensor / accelerometer get screwed up.

Are these things still a current problem with Roms/Cyanogenmod? Or have they been fixed?

Phone
    Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin (bye bye T-Mobile!)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    I was reading through old threads and saw people complaining that when rooting/using cyanogenmod that the wifi / proximity sensor / accelerometer get screwed up.

Are these things still a current problem with Roms/Cyanogenmod? Or have they been fixed?
    I have CM6 on my G1 and never had those issues.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Those issues are for cm7. Cyanogen 7 is gingerbread, Android 2.3, so there are still some issues, but I think it is now just mms not working.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast