Thread: Verizon Coverage In Rural Northeast Missouri

Phones
    LG Bliss
    LG Voyager
    Carriers
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score

Verizon Coverage In Rural Northeast Missouri

Has anybody has any recent experience with Verizon coverage, both voice and 3G in rural northeast Missouri? I tried Verizon a year or so ago and was not able to get coverage in my home out in the country. I would like to switch but without home service it can't happen.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bulljack1958 View Post
    Has anybody has any recent experience with Verizon coverage, both voice and 3G in rural northeast Missouri? I tried Verizon a year or so ago and was not able to get coverage in my home out in the country. I would like to switch but without home service it can't happen.
    What's your zip code? Also, they offer a 3G network extender.
    v Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).

Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in Birmingham, AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).^

Speed Test with DSL internet with AT&T(Bellsouth). Horrible.

Phones
    LG Bliss
    LG Voyager
    Carriers
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I have always been told that the network extender will not work in my area.

Phones
    iPhone 5S
    Galaxy Nexus
    BlackBerry Curve, 8830
    Carriers
    at&t, Verizon
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bulljack1958 View Post
    It's terrible. There is no virtually no native service, and when you find the one spot VZW happens to have native service, calls drop and the speed is unusable. You'll spend 99% of your time roaming on US Cellular, which will limit you to slower data.

It looks like you have US Cellular now, in which case, stay with them or switch to AT&T. AT&T has great 3G service around the Hannibal area, and very solid EDGE service further out.

EDIT: just saw you are in kirksville. AT&T has 3G there as well, but switched to T-Mobile roaming fairly quickly once you get off of 63. [though this will become native coverage once the merger goes through]. US Cellular or AT&T [or possibly T-Mobile] is definitely the strongest choice though. VZW is definitely still awful.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    It's terrible. There is no virtually no native service, and when you find the one spot VZW happens to have native service, calls drop and the speed is unusable. You'll spend 99% of your time roaming on US Cellular, which will limit you to slower data.

It looks like you have US Cellular now, in which case, stay with them or switch to AT&T. AT&T has great 3G service around the Hannibal area, and very solid EDGE service further out.

EDIT: just saw you are in kirksville. AT&T has 3G there as well, but switched to T-Mobile roaming fairly quickly once you get off of 63. [though this will become native coverage once the merger goes through]. US Cellular or AT&T [or possibly T-Mobile] is definitely the strongest choice though. VZW is definitely still awful.
    AT&T look's pretty horrible there too, Verizon has native 3G there as well. US Cellular is the best choice out there. I have family in La Plata and they had AT&T up until christmas and switched to US Cell because AT&T's coverage was so finicky.

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    It's pretty ugly. We went from Iowa City to New Orleans, going down highway 218 then 61 to St. Louis. Near the Iowa border, service is native but weak, 1X that may be too weak to be usable. There's a large quantity of US Cellular roaming around Hannibal (which is 1X, VZW got an EVDO roaming agreement with USCC in some areas, but not Iowa/Missouri as yet). We had fine coverage from St. Louis on down*, but in reality a lot of SE Missouri appears to have no coverage at all.

Of course, if you do want VZW anyway, they have no roaming limits, and while roaming voice will work, texts and pix will work, and 1X is slow enough to cramp my style a bit browsing (still usable though), but 1X versus EVDO makes little difference for background stuff (E-mail and such), or for chat, IM, using something like this howardforums apps, etc.

*Well, honestly SW mississippi's a joke too, it's a chain of pcs sites that barely cover the highway. We went a block off to get gas and were already roaming, albeit EVDO roaming. But *other than that*, no problems.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    It's pretty ugly. We went from Iowa City to New Orleans, going down highway 218 then 61 to St. Louis. Near the Iowa border, service is native but weak, 1X that may be too weak to be usable. There's a large quantity of US Cellular roaming around Hannibal (which is 1X, VZW got an EVDO roaming agreement with USCC in some areas, but not Iowa/Missouri as yet). We had fine coverage from St. Louis on down*, but in reality a lot of SE Missouri appears to have no coverage at all.

Of course, if you do want VZW anyway, they have no roaming limits, and while roaming voice will work, texts and pix will work, and 1X is slow enough to cramp my style a bit browsing (still usable though), but 1X versus EVDO makes little difference for background stuff (E-mail and such), or for chat, IM, using something like this howardforums apps, etc.

*Well, honestly SW mississippi's a joke too, it's a chain of pcs sites that barely cover the highway. We went a block off to get gas and were already roaming, albeit EVDO roaming. But *other than that*, no problems.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app
    I lived in Biloxi, Mississippi for a few month's helping my sister get through a nasty divorce last year and it's really improved a lot there with the Alltel acquisition. It used to be all PCS because Cellular South and Alltel owned the 850mhz block's, EVDO roaming was likely on Cell South. But now it's pretty strong. AT&T is "decent" along I-10 even though they are PCS only.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Talked to a friend in tech support and she said they have added a new tower close to your area in recent months. Not sure when it was added or anything tho. But the Network Extender will work. It may not have been able to in the past because of it being an Alltel area, but now it should work. As for AT&T, it's even more crap. I have been to kirksville, and it's VERY spotty, mostly no service around it. Looking at the service map now, it shows roaming areas which AT&T is very picky about.

Feedback Score

I went to verizon wireless from US Cellular in Hannibal mo, NE missouri. need help

i went to verizon a couple months ago from us cellular and havent had a reception problem at all. Some cases I have had better reception with verizon. But the lack of 3g is killing me. I figure that they will sometime get here with 3g but dont know if I can wait. Us Cellular is a great company for this area, but with Sprint having the I phone now, is Sprints coverage in NE Missouri better or **** crap? really love the Iphone *thats what i have with verizon now*.
    Thanks
    Joe

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcjqn View Post
    i went to verizon a couple months ago from us cellular and havent had a reception problem at all. Some cases I have had better reception with verizon. But the lack of 3g is killing me. I figure that they will sometime get here with 3g but dont know if I can wait. Us Cellular is a great company for this area, but with Sprint having the I phone now, is Sprints coverage in NE Missouri better or **** crap? really love the Iphone *thats what i have with verizon now*.
    Thanks
    Joe
    Sprint has a lot of Roaming there, which they limit you on.

Phones
    iPhone 5S
    Galaxy Nexus
    BlackBerry Curve, 8830
    Carriers
    at&t, Verizon
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude View Post
    Sprint has a lot of Roaming there, which they limit you on.
    I will say Sprint has terrific coverage in KS, MO, & IL. However, BOTH Sprint and VZW roam quite extensively on US Cellular in Missouri. Really, USCC and AT&T are the coverage leaders in MO.