Thread: Activate early by calling an automated number

Phones
    HTC Aria
    Samsung Droid Charge
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Activate early by calling an automated number

I guess word is out that you can call a number and activate your phone early.

A friend of mine posted it on Facebook and claims it takes like 2 minutes and it's all done.

866-895-1099

Carriers
    AT&T (divested Alltel)
    Feedback Score
    Can anyone confirm?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just tried, I can confirm it does NOT work

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I cannot tell you strongly enough NOT TO USE THIS NUMBER. I now have all my phones activated except my main phone. Yeah.

Phones
    HTC Aria
    Samsung Droid Charge
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So... you seem to contradict yourself, do or do not use it? There has to be some sort of con to doing this otherwise they would have published it.

Feedback Score
    Just did it. It worked for me.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    dmwagner, DO NOT use it. All BUT one of my lines activated after repeated attempts and now I'm stuck in customer service for the IVR (it has it's own CS) and who knows what will happen to my account. BAD idea!

Carrier
    AT&T former Alltel Blue (WWC)
    Feedback Score
    This is the normal AT&T contract acceptance/activation IVR. In order to work correctly your account has to be "ready to go" on the AT&T side. In some cases it will work, in most it will not. I definitely encourage people to wait for the automatic transition in order to keep their Alltel plan/features/contract without problems.

If you activated via the IVR and your account wasnt ready on the AT&T side then you are pretty much SOL because calling the number and electronically "signing" the contract means you accept whatever you get. The most noticeable changes seem to be activation fees, accounts converting to bill-in-advance and being charged for the entire last full Alltel cycle instead of just the prorated amount.

Don't go crying to the store/CARE when your account is a mess because you opted to dial the number.....

Phones
    HTC Aria
    Samsung Droid Charge
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks dude... I will pass this info on.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't yet know if I'll be hit with any activation fees or anything... but I now AM, apparently, under contract for my main line (though not the extras). I have a feeling I made my whole account a big mess by doing this. My main goal right now is to wait it out 30 days, cancel my extra lines, then deal with the rest of the mess in terms of upgrade eligibility and anything else. My phone is working, I just dread seeing what my bill will look like

Phones
    Blackberry Tour
    Blackberry tour
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    So my account transitions on the 26th of april.. Would I be safe doing this or should I just wait?

Phones
    Blackberry Tour
    Blackberry tour
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Alright I just went to att.com/activasions and it worked perfectly

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, I'm glad it worked for you, but my account is really screwed up, so clearly, it's not gonna work for everyone...

Phones
    Current:Bold 9650
    Past:Tour 9630- Red 8330-Titanium 8330-Red 8130-
    Amethyst 8130- LG Voyager-Palm Treo 700p-Palm Treo 650
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Uhde View Post
    Well, I'm glad it worked for you, but my account is really screwed up, so clearly, it's not gonna work for everyone...
    It is amazing that after you tell your horror story, people are still so impatient that it is worth the risk to them. This forum has turned into a bunch of 8 year olds at Christmas time.
    This confusion can easily be avoided if you pronounce the word intended aloud. If it has a voiced Z sound, then it’s “lose.” If it has a hissy S sound, then it’s “loose.” Here are examples of correct usage: “He tends to lose his keys.” “She lets her dog run loose.”

Loose
    not rigidly fastened or securely attached

Lose
    to miss from one's possession or from a customary or supposed place

Also, just because a word has an "s" at the end, doesn't mean it needs an apostrophe.

Feedback Score
    Watch out on billing issues here... we transitioned on 4/6... upgraded to an AT&T plan to get our Inspires same day.. our original Alltel plan started on the 12th ended on the 11th each month SO we got a bill from AT&T for prorated minutes from 4/6-4/11. We had $32 of overage charges as well as an $18 upgrade fee. We selected a 1400 minute family plan thinking we had that much available to start, assumed the AT&T plan changed our billing date to the 6th... it didnt! Basically our minutes were prorated allowing only 232 minutes for the 5 day period OUCH! On the plus side the AT&T rep promptly credited the overage and upgrade fees after I explained the situation, effective immediately. Kudos for good customer service AT&T. Just wanted to give people a heads up hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast