Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't activate - serial number suspended?

Feedback Score

Can't activate - serial number suspended?

I bought an optimus v from someone off craigslist new, in-box, and not even opened. I logged onto virginmobileusa.com to activate and I got the following message:

Sorry. The serial number you entered has been suspended. Please call 1-888-322-1122 and ask a live advisor to help you out.

I thought you didn't have to worry about bad serial numbers on prepaids =/

They are obviously closed at the hour. Does this sound like something the virgin mobile representatives will be able to take care of?
    Last edited by shaariq; 04-15-2011 at 02:20 AM.

Feedback Score
    if its suspended maybe its stolen. phones only become activated if they bought it from the store just like how the top up cards are. i think with stolen gsm phones its not disabled.

Feedback Score
    i have the persons full name, number, e-mail address, and their listing on craigslist is still up. i think they had more than one for sale because when i first contacted them via e-mail i was told 'yes, they're still available' implying plural though i didn't confirm. maybe they bought it or them from someone stolen unknowingly or perhaps they knew the serials were bad in the first place and were just looking for a sucker like me to dump it on =/

i e-mailed the seller since its late and will see if they reply at all.

still, i don't know what the situation really is but i guess i will have to confirm with virgin mobile. something tells me i'm not going to be lucky.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like they're stolen from a store and being pawned off on Craigslist. He may not be aware they have to be activated at the register. And the seller could be using a fake name, throwaway number, and e-mail address as well.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Sucks man. Best to buy CDMA phones of craigslist and meet only at a carrier store. In this case Sprint. Have the reps there check it out before exchanging money.

Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Note we also have the ESN checker tool created by forum member deathtrip. Its in a sticky at the top of the page here in the VM USA section. You can enter ESN's into that tool to find out if it is currently registerd to an account, blacklisted, etc. I would suggest copying the craigslist ad before it has a chance to disappear, and at least that way you'll have some evidence of you having purchased the phone and who it was from.

Become a Premium Member
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Feedback Score
    ...I guess I'm a little lucky after all. I called that virgin mobile number this morning. Didn't get a live person so I went through the activation over the phone with the machine and it was a success. The cellphone said there was a problem setting up the account after activating so I did eventually talk to a live person and the only issue was verifying my personal information which didn't record properly during the automated process.

I received a phone number and added funds to the account and everything is working fine now. The live representative I spoke to didn't mention any issues about a suspension nor did I bring it up.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Good to hear OP was able to activate afterall. A sealed box doesn't mean it's never been opened. There are many ways to open the box and reseal it. I won't mention the methods, but seriously, it's not too difficult. I've returned an Optimus V back to Radio Shack and they thought I never open it (which I did and seal it back).

Feedback Score
    Never buy phones off Craigslist cause you have no recourse if stolen or defective.

Phones
    BOOST
    VIRGIN
    ZAPP
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile
    PAGE PLUS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by heatdepot View Post
    Never buy phones off Craigslist cause you have no recourse if stolen or defective.
    Unless you shop at the many independent dealers who advertise on craigslist daily

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304 View Post
    Sucks man. Best to buy CDMA phones of craigslist and meet only at a carrier store. In this case Sprint. Have the reps there check it out before exchanging money.
    that is what I did when I sold my HTC 'Hero' the buyer met me at a Sprint store and they verified the phone was good to go, he paid me and then transferred the account from his old phone to the 'Hero' .
    Signature under construction, expect delays

Carrier
    Walmart Family Mobile (t-mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Having the serial number suspended is actually a good thing.

What it means is that somebody had and account and didn't pay the bill for more than 120 days. Before that 120 days you can't take over the phone without knowing the six digit account pin / vkey.

After the 120 days the phone is suspended and you can take it over without the pin. As you found out, when it's suspended you can't activate online, you have to call and use the phone system or talk to a live adviser.

Carrier
    Walmart Family Mobile (t-mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by heatdepot View Post
    I sell Virgin Mobile phones on Craigslist, I encourage my buyers to activate the phone right when they pay me so they know it's up and working before they leave.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caphoneguy View Post
    Having the serial number suspended is actually a good thing.

What it means is that somebody had and account and didn't pay the bill for more than 120 days. Before that 120 days you can't take over the phone without knowing the six digit account pin / vkey.

After the 120 days the phone is suspended and you can take it over without the pin. As you found out, when it's suspended you can't activate online, you have to call and use the phone system or talk to a live adviser.
    i have a weird update to report. a few days ago i received a call from a lady asking for someone and i told her it was the wrong number. about 10min after she called the same number calls me again but this time a guy is on the other end and he seems upset.

he kept asking me who i was and he said that i had his phone. he asked me where i got it from. i told him i bought it off craigslist from some couple and he kept repeating that someone took his phone and that i have it. he thought i must've been a thief because he asked me how i knew to call his number. he questioned if i was going through his contact list. he asked me what color the phone is, and i told him it was black, he replied 'yes, that's exactly it. that's my phone'.

first off, just about all phones are black these days so that doesn't hold any merit whatsoever. second, i never called him. i told him that a lady called me first and that he is looking at his dialed out numbers not received calls list. third, i told him that this is probably not his phone because it was brand new in the box so there are no contacts for me to be going through. i told him that virgin mobile activated this phone for me and gave me this number. at that point he seemed a bit confused and said he would call me back while he figures some things out. he never called back.

i still don't know really what the deal is. i think it's somewhat coincidence. maybe he did have a phone stolen from him, i honestly don't believe it's the one i have since his would've been used and mine is new. i think maybe virgin mobile put his number out in the pool of available ones when he lost his phone and or the bill wasn't paid and rather than that 120 day waiting period perhaps it just so happened to be generated it to me at activation by chance. nonetheless, my service is still active. if it was reported stolen i don't believe it would have ever been activated for me by virgin.

Feedback Score
    You will get lots of weird calls being with VM. I used to get calls & texts from hispanics asking what Im wearing and what they want to do to me sexually. Im guessing the # belonged to a hooker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast