Phones
    LG VX 8100(retired)
    iPhone 4
    Samsung Droid Charge
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Constant switching between 3G and 1x on iPhone

Lately my iPhone has seemed to have some trouble holding onto a 3G signal even in good coverage. It seems to always switch to 1x during peak times but also just randomly I'll look down and it'll be on 1x for an hour or two sometimes. Is this a phone related issue or just something common on Verizon?

Sent from my iPhone using HowardForums app

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Did you contact tech support?
    v Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).

Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in Birmingham, AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).^

Speed Test with DSL internet with AT&T(Bellsouth). Horrible.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Switching between 3G and 1X is nothing new and nothing requiring a call to customer service. Customers should just periodically make sure they have the latest PRL. It is nothing special and no need to lose any sleep over it.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Phones
    motorola moto x
    motorola moto X
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Switching between 3G and 1X is nothing new and nothing requiring a call to customer service. Customers should just periodically make sure they have the latest PRL. It is nothing special and no need to lose any sleep over it.
    Your response is not helpful at all.
    First, switching between 3g and 1x constantly eats battery life.
    Second, some phones dont like the hybrid PRL's that verizon is pushing to some people.
    I had the same issue with my I phone and could not make it through the work day without having to charge the phone.
    When I first got the phone I didnt have any problems with the battery life, I found out how the check the Prl and was running the Hybrid, I had some signal issues at work and did a PRL update one day, got a different Hybrid PRL and then the switching back and forth started, battery life went to crap.
    I called verizon tech support and asked to be switched to the regular verizon PRL because of the problems I was having, they told me it would not help.
    I informed the tech rep that I had seen this issue before with a samsung convoy and that switching to the regular verizon 5000 series had fixed the issue.
    Now before anyone wants to jump and say it was just a fluke, two days later I go to the verizon store for a belt clip and while waiting to pay I look at the convoy that they have on display and it is doing the same thing, I tell the manager about what I had found and we check and it has the hybrid PRL on it, he gets it changed to the native PRL and it works fine.
    So, on the I phone, the first thing to do is, do a hard reset, hold the home button and sleep button until the phone shuts off then restart it, if that doesnt help then check your PRL, if it is anything other then a 5000 series call tech support and ask them to put a hybrid PRL block on your line and then do a PRL update and get the 5000 series PRL, it has worked for me on two different phones, wont hurt anything to try it and you wont lose any coverage by doing it.

Phones
    White Galaxy S5 & White iPhone 6
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I noticed the same thing in Las Vegas but a PRL won't make a difference here. It switched to 1X then back to 3G after I moved my hand away from the antenna, had 2-3 bars the entire time.. but the icon changed. I notice the same phenomenon being mentioned specifically for the iPhone and phones with poor reception like the Incredible.
    Google+
    Happy T-Mobile Customer since '09
    Content AT&T Customer since '12

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    So, first check if you got switched back to the hybrid. Simplest
    solution is to get 50000 series back. (And, if there is still a fragment of the Alltel network still there, it absolutely could make a difference which PRL you have, it'd prefer Alltel instead of VZW. Quite a bit of these networks have been combined but there could still be areas where they aren't)

Probably VZW is doing site work in your area, this makes EVDO wink off from tjme to time (and it usually doesn't take long.) This is indeed very bad for battery life. If you can force the phone 1X only I'd do that (for battery life) and just check the 3G every day or two, usually it won't do this for long. Perhaps they are finally integrating Alltel and VZW there (if they are indeed still seperate.) Perhaps they're doing LTE prep work. I'm just glad this doesn't cause the severe service problems AT&Ters report when they are doing work in an area 8-)

I used to see my EVDO kick down to 1X once in a while here when a basketball game was in town (if the EVDO load got so high that I'd get 1X like speeds anyway I'd get kicked to 1X for a few minutes.) They've gone from 1 to 3 EVDO channels here since then, now data doesn't even slow down much on those days. It's *possible* it's load-related, but you'd probably notice quite slow speeds if that were the case.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Phones
    LG VX 8100(retired)
    iPhone 4
    Samsung Droid Charge
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well I called tech support after updating the PRL and they told me to turn data roaming on on my iPhone and that's fixed the issue I never lose 3g signal now. They say it's a common issue across their network with iPhones even when in strong native coverage. They weren't sure why this was only that it seemed to help the phone hold onto the 3G signal. They were doing tower work in the area but it stopped a week ago. No LTE update sadly, we're still slated for mid 2012 for LTE rollout as far as they could tell.

Also just as a side note I think Verizon's towers are pretty loaded around here .I never ever break 1Mbps even on off peak times like at 1 in the morning. Best I've ever gotten is 600kbps down and 600kbps up. Much slower than AT&T out here but I'm just biding my time waiting for LTE and the LTE iPhone magic. At least I get 3G at my house now.

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzball963 View Post
    Well I called tech support after updating the PRL and they told me to turn data roaming on on my iPhone and that's fixed the issue I never lose 3g signal now. They say it's a common issue across their network with iPhones even when in strong native coverage. They weren't sure why this was
    Must be an IPhone bug, turning data roaming on should make 0 difference in a native area. But clearly it does.

Also just as a side note I think Verizon's towers are pretty loaded around here .I never ever break 1Mbps even on off peak times like at 1 in the morning. Best I've ever gotten is 600kbps down and 600kbps up.
    Yeah sounds pretty loaded. Load's fairly high here too, although it's improved some recently.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Phones
    LG VX 8100(retired)
    iPhone 4
    Samsung Droid Charge
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yeah out here Verizon is the dominant carrier and everyone has smartphones so I'm not surprised the network is slow. Where I work we only sell Verizon aircards to customers not AT&T due to the lack of 3G coverage on AT&T out here. My friends said that about a year ago speeds were really good on Verizon but now they've slowed down

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using HowardForums app

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have this issue as well. EVDO must be on PCS frequencies in NJ. I can have 5 bars of 1X service inside, and 3 bars of 3G outside. I've confirmed the 3G signal is markedly weaker on other phones that show both EV and 1X bars...0-1 3G and 5 bars of 1X usually. They ended up sending me a network extender for my house, but I see it often in NJ even outside and inside New York City buildings. Haven't really seen the problem in Delaware or DC.

Don't worry about the speed, I don't hit fast speeds often either...for how many customers they have in my area they certainly rely on 850 coverage a lot and I think that is starting to get full. Surprisingly, VZ is still faster than Sprint in the Philly metro area...Sprint really went downhill fast.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Iridium
    Feedback Score
    I understand this is an old thread, but instead of creating a new one -- I would rather add to this.

I have had a chance to test out a few iPhone 4S phones on Verizon.

Both the 16 and 64GB models.

I constantly see data drop to 1x, especially when streaming music. After a while, it'll go back to 3G. It is pretty annoying, especially when you are trying to buffer music.

Anybody else having current problems?
    WiFi Guru

Phones
    iPhone 5S
    Galaxy Nexus
    BlackBerry Curve, 8830
    Carriers
    at&t, Verizon
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wifiguru View Post
    I understand this is an old thread, but instead of creating a new one -- I would rather add to this.

I have had a chance to test out a few iPhone 4S phones on Verizon.

Both the 16 and 64GB models.

I constantly see data drop to 1x, especially when streaming music. After a while, it'll go back to 3G. It is pretty annoying, especially when you are trying to buffer music.

Anybody else having current problems?
    Yes, when the network is at capacity.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Iridium
    Feedback Score
    Oh, so that makes sense. Just never saw that on other phones.

Phone
    iPhone 6
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (frail's: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

My iPhone 4s switches back and forth between EVDO and 1x quite frequently when I'm at work. The iPhone 4 did not do this and other smartphones did it but not as much.

In my case I think the 4s's intelligent antenna switching feature might have something to do with it trying to compensate for the weak EVDO signal at my desk.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My office building is a black hole where cell signals go to die. Luckily my cubicle is right next to a window. Still, my phone will pop back and forth between no connection, 1x, 3g and LTE all day long.

Sent from my ADR6400L using HowardForums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast