Thread: Tracfone, Net10 (and Straight Talk) and byod. Yeahhh...right. Right? Welll...

Feedback Score

Tracfone, Net10 (and Straight Talk) and byod. Yeahhh...right. Right? Welll...

Byod and Tracfone? C'mon. Tracfones (and Net10s and Straight Talk ) phones are so locked down, such a thing is not possible. RIGHT?

Well. Byod is all relative. In one extreme , a carrier allows no outside phones.

In the other extreme , a carrier allows ANY other phone.

There are a lot more of the first then the second.

Most of it is based on technology limitations. A gsm wireless carrier couldn't allow cdma or iden devices even if it wanted too... (with a few RARE exceptions like the iden/gsm i920/930 or cdma/gsm phones like the Blackberry Storm).

Tracfone itself is locked down. Even their gsm phones cannot use sims from other phones , even other Tracfones. Each sim is locked to one phone FOR LIFE.

But there is wiggle room in the anti byod world of Tracfone.

1)Tracfone itself allows cross compatibility between its Safelink Wireless program and Tracfone. Safelink users can use Tracfone airtime to reload. Safelink users can also transfer accounts to Tracfone phones.

It is not known if it is as easy or possible to transfer your Tracfone account to a Safelink phone .

2)Net10 and Tracfone sims are both the same sim BEFORE being activated. Once you get a America Movil sim and activate it it becomes forever either a Tracfone sim or a Net10 sim but before you activate it, it can be either.
    Unknown if a N10/Tracfone virgin sim can be used on a Straight Talk gsm phone.

3)Net10 phones used to be only usable on Net10 paygo and Net10 Unlimited (version 2) had exclusi N10 only phones at Target. Now ANY N10 phone (except the Nokia 1600, 1100 or 2600 and the Motorola C139, V171, V170 and C155.) can be used on ANY plan.

4)Straight Talk Verizon based cdma phones have been successfully activated with no extra programming for talk/text on other Verizon mvnos, especially Page Plus.

5)Two Straight Talk gsm phones, the Nokia E71 and one other , allows their sims to be used in unlocked gsm phones including the iphone IF you keep that Nokia in your possession. It costs about $200 to do this, but it is possible.

No other Straight Talk gsm phones have sims that work in unlocked phones at this time.

Generally, Tracfones , Net10s and Straight Talk phones can ONLY be used on their division of America Movil even if they use the same model across brands and the same underlying network (i.e. cdma/Verizon based LG 220c).

If anybody else knows of other byod friendly loopholes in the world of America Movil/Tracfone, please post.

We could use all the byod wiggle room possible over here... lol

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    I wish American Movil would offer all model of their phones (except maybe the two Nokia smartphones which require unlimited service) for sale for one price and then you could choose if you want to go with Net10, Tracfone or ST pricing for airtime.

I mean the Lg 220c is available for all three, but why not Samsung T401g for example?

Tracfone price for same model is usually lowest and ST highest, with Net 10 somewhere in between.

There are lots of people who would be willing to pay a bit more than for the average priced Tracfone model, if they would get a Qwerty keyboard, which would make texting easier.

But maybe they don't need quite as many minutes as the Net10 plan would provide.
    So Tracfone airtime cards might work better for them.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    A little off-topic, but in my dream world, I think it'd be cool if someone could figure out how to put Trac/Net10's airtank firmware (assuming able to find a source for it) on any phone desired. Included concepts would be ability to work with any SIM Trac/Net10 sent you. You could pick a phone, install the Trac/Net10 software, slide in the SIM, and pay America Movil whatever they're currently asking for airtime, and they wouldn't give a hoot which phone you were using. And include CDMA in all of this. Now wouldn't that make a wonderful world? Also, make their activate/switch web page as reliable and quick as that on certain Page Plus dealers' sites, for adding and switching phones. That's some tasty BYOD!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Safelink IS Tracfone in all respects (and in some states Net10) that has a special "Safelink value plan" attached to it. If you should no longer qualify, the Safelink value plan is discontinued and the phone continues on as a Tracfone (or Net10), leaving the current minutes/days on it. If you upgrade to a better phone they just move the Safelink value plan to the new phone.

Interesting that they have sent out some LG300G Safelink phones with the Tracfone name on them, although they have never been available as a Tracfone in any other way. Makes you wonder just how easy it might be to set up any phone as either a Net10 or Tracfone or ST?

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    If only I was a programmer-dude...

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    SafeLink is a side-service of Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    Hey, if it's America Movil, we have to take any byod like behavior we can get. LMBO

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Interesting that they have sent out some LG300G Safelink phones with the Tracfone name on them, although they have never been available as a Tracfone in any other way. Makes you wonder just how easy it might be to set up any phone as either a Net10 or Tracfone or ST?
    I believe that could be accomplished IF you could get the desired fones (n10,TF or ST) s/n into the desired services "acceptable s/n" database. From there I believe the system would accept the fone as one of it's own and allow it to function. One thing that stands out to me is how if you enter a n10 s/n on the trac site it will tell you that it is a n10 fone and not a trac and vice-versa. So there is a system interconnection there of some sort.

I recently tested the "don't mention a PP Dealer by name" rule here on PP Hofo......trust me, it is still in effect - got me a 7 day ban.