Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pre paid with no expiration

Feedback Score

pre paid with no expiration

So im looking for a backup emergency phone to have but im starting to realize alot of these pre paid phones have expiration dates on the minutes which kinda ruins the my idea. So I was wondering if there are any providers out there that do not have an expiration date on their minutes?

edit: starting to realize this may not be a possibility so is there any company that would allow me to just keep a prepaid card on me without it expiring if I don't activate it until I need to use it or is it activated instantly the moment I buy it at the cashier?

Carriers
    ekit, Truphone
    piranha, Worldsim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Consider Tru

Go to the Tru website: truphone.com and get the customer service number and ask them about expiration. Those who have asked have not gotten the clearest answers. My best understanding is that there is no expiration, but you need to make a paid use [send/receive call or send SMS] evert 60 or 90 days or a $3 a month charge will start. Please tell us what they say. At this point, no one else seems to have a 'no expiration' phone. Tru uses both T-Mobile and AT&T [as of last week] for their US networks. $30 gets the SIM delivered to you in the US and $15 credit. Sending SMS is twelve cents. Calling in the US is 17 cents a minute billed [30/1] 30 second minimum and then by the second. If you search this forum for Truphone and Tru you will see what people think. Mostly positive. Understand this: With a US SIM you have 'membership rates' for the US with the SIM--no additional monthly charges. The only benefit of membership rates is if you are in other Tru countries--right now only UK and Austrailia.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Tracfone! (http://www.tracfone.com/) for your edited remark, IF you have access to internet in an emergency.

here my story:
    4 years ago, I lost my cell phone and I brought a tracfone from supermarket.
    I activiate it thought the internet and use it til I order and recieved a page plus phone.
    then I let my tracfone expired with 30 min left.

One year later, I re-activiate my tranfone throught the internet, and there was no activiation fee, and they let me keep the 30 min (which is weird and should not be expected).

So IF you have internet during the emergency, tracfone could work.

But to have a cell phone with no service and a un-use prepaid card for an emergency....

actually, now that I think about it, maybe its possible: a Verizon Prepaid Phone w/ $10 starter credit.
    Buy a Verizon Prepaid Phone from www.verizonwireless.com or walmart (but not Ebay) and don't turn it on.
    I believe the phone will activate on its own when you turn the phone on (Assuming you charge the phone every month or so)

But this is a one time shot: once the phone activiate, you will have to pay Verizon $100 per year, or let it expire and buy a new phone.

But, I never bought a Verizon Prepaid phone, so you should ask this at the Verizon Form to see how to activate those store-bought Verizon-phone (like from walmart, but not from Ebay).

right now, the cheapest yearly cost for a cell phone is Truphone which rfranzq said: $15 whenever you run out min. but you have to use the phone every 60-90 days to aviod a $3 monthly fee.

Phone
    Palm Pixi Plus
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular via dealer
    Feedback Score
    If 911 is enough, then any expired cellphone would work. I understand there are organizations that accept
    used cellphone for abused woman, etc. The disadvantage is you can't call elsewhere.

Sheng-Chieh

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Some cards expire if they aren't used within a year after purchase. I know VZ Prepaid(*) you can (re)activate over the air with just a phone and an unexpired airtime card or your credit or debit card. Other carriers you have to go online or call them from another phone.

Look at Spot Mobile, they have $5.00 cards good for 90 days. So $20.00 to keep a phone ready to use for a year. Or if Zapp ever actually goes live... $10.00 for 200 minutes / one year.

(*) New VZPP phones with the airtime credit can be kept unactivated. Just turning the phone on does not instantly activate / open an account. You have to press OK or SEND and agree to the process.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote Originally Posted by shengchieh
    If 911 is enough, then any expired cellphone would work. I understand there are organizations that accept
    used cellphone for abused woman, etc. The disadvantage is you can't call elsewhere.

Sheng-Chieh
    Actually besides 911 it is possible to make outbound calls with old deactivated CDMA phones. It should connect to the American Roaming Network. Last I heard the rates were kinda high but it works.
    Last edited by rfguygg; 04-20-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Phone
    Palm Pixi Plus
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular via dealer
    Feedback Score
    Was curious about ARN - here's the link

http://www.americanroaming.com/

Another wild idea: Go to 7-11, a drugstore, or whatever and buy a dirt cheap tracfone or Virgin Mobile
    phone, but do NOT activate it. Just tuck it in the glove box and activate it if you have an emergency.
    of course, once you activate, you need to deal with it.

Sheng-Chieh

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    There is no prepaid plan that I know of that doesn't require that you do something either add money or make a call. There are prepaid plans that let you register a credit card and will automatically add money periodically. I know of no prepaid plans that don't require that you do something.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Phones
    FeiTeng H9503,Motorola V3M(RingPlus), AT&T MiFi Liberate,
    Kindle 3G,Isatphone,V11 Dual Sim Flip,SVP MQ999
    Carrier
    AT&T,Telna,Sprint,ekit,Inmarsat,Skype
    Feedback Score
    Some carriers have a long expiration one year card but it's usually $100 (with a few exceptions).

Maybe a cheap postpaid solution? Thinking maybe Telna Mobile for $19/year: http://www.telnamobile.com They would bill your credit or debit card monthly for calls (if any) and the bill would be electronic (or a buck a month if you insisted on a paper copy being mailed). Mostly used by people doing international travel outside North America, but the US tariffs are very inexpensive(per minute of 5 cents in and 8 cents out for domestic calls). Would never expire.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Geez, that Telnamobile service could be the answer for a lot of situations. $19/yr. and you're only charged for what you use? That's awesome, and that's not an exaggeration! Isn't this what most prepaid users who want a "glovebox" phone would appreciate? You're durn tootin'! I wonder if they use AT&T or T-Mobile primarily. Also they promote the use of your own unlocked GSM phone. Wow. If these guys are for real they're gonna get deluged.

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG VX5400
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Geez, that Telnamobile service could be the answer for a lot of situations. $19/yr. and you're only charged for what you use? That's awesome, and that's not an exaggeration! Isn't this what most prepaid users who want a "glovebox" phone would appreciate? You're durn tootin'! I wonder if they use AT&T or T-Mobile primarily. Also they promote the use of your own unlocked GSM phone. Wow. If these guys are for real they're gonna get deluged.
    They use T-Mobile, according to this:
    http://www.telnamobile.com/index.php...y=232&x=23&y=1

and it looks to me as though they do not use any other carrier and none of their service is on 850. That means that their coverage is probably confined to native T-Mobile, which is not going to be adequate for everyone.

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't know how their global rates stack up, but Telna's free incoming SMS (anywhere in the world) and 1000/month included outgoing SMS (in the USA) would also be a draw to US users. Where I live, there's no GSM coverage of any sort though.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    But to me, the basic way Telna works approaches the ideal for low usage (under $30/mo. in calling minutes) models. You've got your annual, which works out to be $1.58 monthly, plus tax (this is the bugaboo; includes USF, local, state, federal taxes; is this charged annually or monthly, based on your usage, or even if you don't make a call?). Your charges for calling are whatever you actually use! You don't have to keep track of refill expirations, or worry if you've got enough minutes/money in your account for any period of time. It's pay-as-you-go postpaid, the way I feel phone service should be, extra features like data not withstanding. Free texting. If other providers tried this out, data could be added at a reasonable rate, you use what you want and be charged. Gotta have viable credit though. I really like the idea, especially for seldom-used emergency phones. Some of my concern does go back to if you're billed monthly for the taxes and stuff, so you'd have a continuous outflow on your credit account. Something to consider though. Compare it to deals like Spot Mobile on an annual basis (if either of them even survive). I am not thinking in terms of international rates, so on that basis they may only be so-so.

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure exactly how it works for Telna mobile, but I have Telna long distance service (for toll calls, domestic and international long distance) and they only bill me (charge my CC) when my calls reach $5 or more. Then all the taxes get added to that amount. So I might pay a bill every month or not for a few months at a time depending on usage.

I do agree that Telna mobile sounds like a great solution for people using their phone only occasionally and the free texting is great.
    Unfortunately Tmobile doesn't work in my area...

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG VX5400
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HF305 View Post
    I don't know how their global rates stack up, but Telna's free incoming SMS (anywhere in the world) and 1000/month included outgoing SMS (in the USA) would also be a draw to US users. Where I live, there's no GSM coverage of any sort though.
    Where might you be, that there is no GSM?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast