Nokia N8
    Captivate
    Defy (MB525)
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

My experience with porting over to Straight Talk

The history:
    My wife and I decided to lower the bill, and so, we decided to go with the GSM side of Straight Talk because of the Roaming that is allowed. I activated an E71 with a new number to test out the service, and the wife just bought the E71, unactivated, to see how the service panned out with my phone.

The now:
    Our Verizon billing cycle always ended on the 18th of every month. So, we decided to port our numbers over on the 16th to give some time for the port over. Well, my wife ended up porting over her number through the Straight Talk site, and she was ready to go within 15 minutes.

Me, on the other hand, had to setup a support ticket on the facebook site in order to get the process going. I know you can call tech support, but I was told their facebook support is much better. I found out that in order to get the ball rolling in your favor, you should type something on their facebook wall soon after you create a support ticket or e-mail their fbsupport e-mail address.

After I created a support ticket and let them know that I wanted this done quick via FB wall, I received an e-mail address from their support saying that they will need additional information. I gave them the information, and then they e-mailed me back saying that the port has been processed.

... 2 hours later ...

My E71 was disabled, but my number was still on Verizon. So, I sent a reply to the e-mail asking how the port was going.

They replied by saying, "We will be mailing you a new SIM card through the mail and it will be 3-5 days" "We also have to disable the E71 phone in the meantime as part of our porting process."

I replied saying that "3-5 day shipping is unacceptable! I thought ST would overnight the SIM card since this company does not re-program the original SIM card." Straight Talk then replied saying that they would escalate the issue.

Basically, they sent it via FedEx 2 day shipping.. I assume that they must normally send replacement SIM cards through the postal service!?

Edit: I am two days into the new billing cycle with Verizon But, I will fight the bill if it is not pro-rated.
    You can either eat the two peanuts I gave to you, or crush them..

- I'm bout to show a city slicker how to kick it in the sticks -

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have had many SIM cards sent to me and it was always overnight without asking. I cannot remember an occasion that it was not their fault one had to be sent. Every shipment from Trac companies has been sent FedX.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't blame Straight Talk. Remember why you are leaving Verizon. They are the jackasses who want to claim that being two days into a new billing period means they cannot pro-rate or be dealt with in any fashion.

Phones
    Nokia N8
    Captivate
    Defy (MB525)
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trumptman View Post
    Don't blame Straight Talk. Remember why you are leaving Verizon. They are the jackasses who want to claim that being two days into a new billing period means they cannot pro-rate or be dealt with in any fashion.
    If that is true, then I will have one hell of a fight a head of me.. I will not back down until I would get it resolved. I have the complaint ready for BBB, I just need to wait for the bill.

Carrier
    Atrix on ST = :)
    Feedback Score
    Don't worry. Verizon will pro-rate your bill. It happened to me the same way and they returned the money up to the exact date. It will take them a whole month to do it sometimes so be patient.

Feedback Score
    I'm just wondering why there was a mis-step with ST? Who was the primary account on the Verizon bill?? If it was you then you were correct in porting your wife's number first. Glad you went the FB route for support. When I ported my number I submitted a Support Tab, wrote on their FB wall, emailed them on FB, and contacted a few of their agents on FB, heheee. My number ported to ST within an hour. Assuming all your information was correct for the port, sometimes "stuff" happens. Hopefully Verizon will pro-rate you for those 2 days. Welcome to ST!

Phones
    Nokia N8
    Captivate
    Defy (MB525)
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keyz16b View Post
    I'm just wondering why there was a mis-step with ST? Who was the primary account on the Verizon bill?? If it was you then you were correct in porting your wife's number first. Glad you went the FB route for support. When I ported my number I submitted a Support Tab, wrote on their FB wall, emailed them on FB, and contacted a few of their agents on FB, heheee. My number ported to ST within an hour. Assuming all your information was correct for the port, sometimes "stuff" happens. Hopefully Verizon will pro-rate you for those 2 days. Welcome to ST!
    We were on a Verizon plan which was made for feature phones. My wife had a feature phone, and I had a smartphone. She "had" to be the primary on the plan, and I could only be the secondary.

I thought Straight Talk would be able to switch the number on the SIM card, so my wife began the port over (she was antsy) and got ported over within 10 minutes. I then went to facebook support and filed the support ticket. I didn't think it would take 4 days for me to port over.

Verizon sent me an e-mail the following day about how her number ported out, and I could not be the primary individual on the account. It also stated that I would be stripped of the monthly allowance of minutes. It would be .45 cents a minute, but it didn't mention anything about text messages or data usage. I didn't take the chance and just ignored my phone with the data off.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Its taking so long for you because you already had a number attached to your ST phone. Hers was completed quickly because the SIM was unused.

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Verizon iPhone 4S (Wife's)
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BassAddict View Post
    The history:
    My wife and I decided to lower the bill, and so, we decided to go with the GSM side of Straight Talk because of the Roaming that is allowed. I activated an E71 with a new number to test out the service, and the wife just bought the E71, unactivated, to see how the service panned out with my phone.
    I realize you've only had it for a short while but how do you like ST so far? I am also a Verizon user and I'm thinking of switching to ST & the E71 when my contract ends in August. I was actually planning on porting my wife's line over now since that line is out of contract but then I realized I'd lose free M2M when we call each other. So I'm going to wait until August before I do anything.

How do you like the E71? We are not using smart phones currently, I have a Samsung Reality and wife is using an LG Env3 so I feel like the E71 should be an upgrade.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    I realize you've only had it for a short while but how do you like ST so far? I am also a Verizon user and I'm thinking of switching to ST & the E71 when my contract ends in August. I was actually planning on porting my wife's line over now since that line is out of contract but then I realized I'd lose free M2M when we call each other. So I'm going to wait until August before I do anything.

How do you like the E71? We are not using smart phones currently, I have a Samsung Reality and wife is using an LG Env3 so I feel like the E71 should be an upgrade.
    Make sure you have good at&t coverage. Beyond that, I guess I'm no help.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score

I live in So Cal and had been with Verizon since 2000 and left in 2010.

I can tell you that it was absolutely worth it. Verizon's network really is stronger occasionally when I am up in various mountain locations. If we were say driving up to Big Bear I might now lose coverage a half mile sooner than the Verizon phone my friend carries.

His phone bill is literally double mine though and I can live with the trade off.

Recently we were on a camping trip to Chuckwalla over by Salton Sea. In the evenings, over by Painted Canyon I had coverage and he didn't.

AT&T's network isn't perfect but has gotten better. A great example that I used to bag on was the fact that from LA to Vegas they didn't have 3G coverage. Now of course they do.

I use the sim with the iPhone but since I am a weekend warrior I stick it in the E71 every weekend because I don't want to be out hiking or biking and destroy my iPhone and also the E71 goes forever on GPS.

It is a really nice phone overall. The camera is quick and has autofocus. The Ovi maps are really great and the turn by turn directions are very handy. My only real issue was the lack of threaded texting but someone over at the Straight Talk forums on Facebook linked to an app that completely solved that issue. I especially like the Opera Mini browser for it.

The only deal out there right now that can best it in my humble opinion is Virgin Mobile's deal for $25-40 where you get respectively 300-1200 anytime minutes which allows use of Android phones.

Phones
    Nokia N8
    Captivate
    Defy (MB525)
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

I actually love the GSM side of Straight Talk. The main reason I wanted to go with them, was because, ST had T-Mobile and the small gsm carriers associated with their roaming. T-Mobile coverage is awesome around here! (except we are stuck with 2G in this area: 55987) But, I don't use much data when I am away from home (I use WiFi while I am home), I only use the phone to connect to a secure website when I am not home.

I think the E71 is a good phone, but the second reason I chose Straight Talk, was the fact that I could take the SIM out of the phone and use it in any phone of my choosing. The E71 has one major issue, in my opinion. The issue has to do with the design of the antenna.. If I hold the phone upright (the way you are suppose to hold it), the signal seems mediocre to crap. If I hold the phone upside down, I get full signal!

Other than the signal issue with the E71, it is a great phone! However, I am using an unlocked Moto Defy, because it is a T-Mobile phone that does receive AT&T's 3G signal, and it is great for snowmobile riding with the GPS

Carrier
    Droid 2 on Page Plus Cellular ( RIP on 4/15) E71 ( soon to be Samsung Captivate) on Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Hey BassAddict how long did it take to get your new sim?
    It's not personal, it's just business.

Phones
    Nokia N8
    Captivate
    Defy (MB525)
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
    Hey BassAddict how long did it take to get your new sim?
    For me, it took 6 days total (Friday @ Noon to Wednesday @ 12:38 pm). Friday is when we did the port over. Wednesday is when I received the SIM.

Feedback Score
    So you only received the SIM Wednesday. Today's Thursday. Are you ported over yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast