Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Motorola EX124G vs LG 800G

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Textin & drivin View Post
    Footnote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't all text online or in text messaging just fraught with all manner of typos and misspellings that no one else in the world bothers to worry about? Why the fuss?.
    Not true at all. Some may be accepting of it but not all. SMS, email, and forums are not an excuse to not use proper spelling and/or grammar. Both were in decline long before electronic communication took off, but that doesn't mean it should get worse. I'm starting to wonder if homonyms are even taught anymore as so many people misuse them, not just occasionally but constantly.

Now, that said, I didn't have a clue you typed the wrong model. I figured it was a phone I didn't know about.

Phones
    LG 800G & LG enV3
    LG800G
    LG enV3
    Carrier
    Best no-contract deal (TracFone works)
    Feedback Score
    Not true at all. Some may be accepting of it but not all. SMS, email, and forums are not an excuse to not use proper spelling and/or grammar. Both were in decline long before electronic communication took off, but that doesn't mean it should get worse. I'm starting to wonder if homonyms are even taught anymore as so many people misuse them, not just occasionally but constantly.
    Well I disagree... not on principle, because I'm the first to labor over spelling a grammar, etc.

BUT ...there is such a thing as beating a dead horse - and your head against a damn wall to boot.

In this medium it just doesn't matter simply because MOST people are not going to give a hoot how particular you are, personally. I know about writing, been doin' it for pay at times over some years. With that said, I defy ANYONE to put out anything over 200 words without an error or two. It's a rare event when someone can do that, even among the best writers. And this medium just does not lend itself to fine editing, especially since none of us has a copy-editor looking over our shoulders as we share our experiences online.

As far as the model number I was admittedly going off of my memory which obviously failed me. But my whole point is if the reader gets what you were saying in the first place, why the fuss? ...Much ado over nothing, in my view. It seems a bit anal to go around correcting everyone on grammatical mistakes or spelling errors all your life. I certainly have better things to do with my time. Meanwhile, I imagine, some have nothing else to do, or it's simply how they "get off" - making others feel cheap with their "cheap shots."

Moreover, the last comment goes straight back to the stated correction over the Motorola's W376G's naming reference, and its not-too-hidden, obvious intent.

About 60 - 70 percent of most dialog is carried in underlying context, which is usually the first thing that gets lost in any subsequent analysis. It's just like in art, "form before detail" - overall presentation is almost everything. I can show you 3 or 4 errors in most books published professionally, and in some publications even more - or in most professionally written letters at least one mistake. Case in point, I just saw two glaring errors on one single Web-page for a cable TV network's splash page.

...What's the point?

You can't fix the world, those who try are chasing windmills. My point...

Feedback Score
    How large a micro SD card can be used with the Ex124g ? I have read in different places that 8MB, 12MB or 16MB as the largest size. Anyone know for sure ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by foondoon View Post
    How large a micro SD card can be used with the Ex124g ? I have read in different places that 8MB, 12MB or 16MB as the largest size. Anyone know for sure ?
    32GB Micro SD.

Feedback Score
    I know this has probably already been discussed but can you install the getjar app store on either of these phones?

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Moto EX124G Micro SD cards

Can these Micro SD cards be purchased @ TracFone.com?
    Does one come in the box?
    Are all these cards the same? i.e. Will they fit all phones?

By the by... I just ordered this cell. I've been using the LG225 since it came out. Go ahead and make fun. My kids give it to me allll the time. LOL! It had all I needed... a phone! It's camera sucks and texting is a PITA! As simple as it is tho, it is a solid fone. Never gave me an oz of trouble.

I saw an add for the EX124G w/ a 3.0 mp camera, FM radio AND an MP3 player. I read a bunch of reviews on this and pulled the trigger. And I just read this phone can record radio shows on a schedule. Kinda like TiVoing but, for radio shows! How cool is that?

Thanx for all the great info,

Bob

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack Bob View Post
    No. Even if they did sell them you could get a much better deal at so many other places like Amazon, eBay, cell phone accessory web sites, etc. They're sold at a lot of retail stores, you won't have trouble finding one.

No. Not unless you bought a bundle I haven't heard about.

All the Micro SD cards should fit this phone. No they're not all the same, they come in different class ratings 2, 4, 10 etc. The higher the class the shorter the read/write access times and the more expensive they are. I use a Sandisk 16GB Class 4 from Walmart just because they had it on sale, it's big enough and fast enough for everything I do with the phone and they didn't sell any Class 2 at my store.

I've been using the LG225 since it came out.
    I've seen that one. That's the one with the pole on top so ladies have an easier time pulling it out of their purses, right? Sorry, just kidding, someone else's grandmother didn't know what the antenna was so he told her it was a pole to make it easier to pullout of pockets and purses.

Side question to anybody:
    Has anyone received a EX124G in normal retail packaging yet?

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post
    All the Micro SD cards should fit this phone. No they're not all the same, they come in different class ratings 2, 4, 10 etc. The higher the class the shorter the read/write access times and the more expensive they are. I use a Sandisk 16GB Class 4 from Walmart just because they had it on sale, it's big enough and fast enough for everything I do with the phone and they didn't sell any Class 2 at my store.
    Approx. how much storage (songs, pics) will a 16gb card give me?

Thanx!

PS- Love yer name!

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post
    I've seen that one. That's the one with the pole on top so ladies have an easier time pulling it out of their purses, right? Sorry, just kidding, someone else's grandmother didn't know what the antenna was so he told her it was a pole to make it easier to pullout of pockets and purses.
    Yep, go ahead and laugh. My kids ask me, when they see me pull it out (by that pole!)... "Hey dad, didn't the cave men use that phone?" To which I reply, "You're grounded for a year!".

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Adirondack Bob,
    16 GB would store around 16,000 pics (the highest res largest size photo I've taken stored as a 1 MB file on the card) OR about 2600 songs assuming an average of 6 MB per MP3.

ADDED: The music organization of the MP3 player isn't very good so you probably wouldn't want to keep your whole music library on it. I just keep a few CD's worth on mine. I like your reply to your the kids!

Phones
    LG 800G & LG enV3
    LG800G
    LG enV3
    Carrier
    Best no-contract deal (TracFone works)
    Feedback Score

By the by... I just ordered this cell. I've been using the LG225 since it came out. Go ahead and make fun. My kids give it to me allll the time. LOL! It had all I needed... a phone! It's camera sucks and texting is a PITA! As simple as it is tho, it is a solid fone. Never gave me an oz of trouble.

I saw an add for the EX124G w/ a 3.0 mp camera, FM radio AND an MP3 player. I read a bunch of reviews on this and pulled the trigger. And I just read this phone can record radio shows on a schedule. Kinda like TiVoing but, for radio shows! How cool is that?

Thanx for all the great info,

Bob
    Adirondack Bob

Forget getting memory cards through TracFone unless you want to wait far too long, and pay through the nose. I got a 4gh card for my LG800g and it cost only about 6 bucks and change, with shipping -- it got here in 4 or 5 days from Amazon.

And ...nothing wrong with having and using a very basic cell phone. I had several, and the last one was hard for me to part with. In fact it's still sitting in my top dresser draw. Considering how much trouble I had with my 1st new LG800g, before TracFone replaced it, I can see perfectly well why anyone would go slowly before making the move to a newer "better" touchscreen model from TracFone.

My first two TracFones were very rudimentary clamshells and both were fraught with little pesty bugs that showed up every couple of months, forcing me to reset these phones regularly. TracFone is famous for being slow to market on many of the newer phones coming out. It wasn't until my third model, a Motorola W376g, purchased in Dec 2008, did I finally get one worth hanging on to for a while. I loved that phone and would switch over to it in a heartbeat if the newest LG800g replacement goes south again like the original one did.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Wow! That was fast!

Received my EX124G in just 2 days. 51 hrs to be exact!

I'm very impressed w/ this. Don't need the stylus as much as I thought. And when I do, it's just fine. Photos also swivel to landscape, although only when the phone is turned counter clockwise. Nifty ability to zoom in on pics. I haven't tried to load any mp3s yet. Did download some TF ring tones and that went very smoothly. The FM radio works great. Need headphones/plugs but, that's ok too. Also haven't tried the Bluetooth yet. (Have to pick up Bluetooth speaker, sd card and mini USB cable.)

The switching of my old # and minutes only took minutes. But, use their website. I never was able to get past their crappy 800 # phone menu.

Over all, I think I'll be very happy w/ this. Some things actually take more clicks than my dino, the LG225 (dialing a phone call, sending a text) but, I can live w/ it.

Anyone know if you can assign a speed dial # to phone #s? I haven't found that yet.

Thanks guys for all your tips!

G'day,

Bob

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Adirondack Bob.

Just wondering, did yours come in a brown box or plastic retail packaging. I haven't heard of anyone getting the EX124G in a normal retail package yet.

As for speed dials, go to your contacts and highlight the contact you want to assign a speed dial number and then hit Options>Settings>Speed Dials. On that page it displays 1. Status (make sure it's ON, if not change it), and 2. Set Number (that's where you assign it a speed dial number). Hope that helps, if not post again.
    Last edited by BobbyLee; 09-03-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Reworded

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Hey BobbyLee,

That did it. Thanx!

Next challenge: Can I assign photos to specific incoming phone #s?

My phone came in retail-like packaging, just like you would find in a store.
    BTW, my phone was a new order, not a replacement. If that helps.

G'day,

Bob

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Next challenge: Can I assign photos to specific incoming phone #s?
    Yes, it's under contacts. Edit the contact you want to assign a picture, go down to the Picture ID field and change it to From File, then specify where the picture is stored.

My phone came in retail-like packaging, just like you would find in a store.
    BTW, my phone was a new order, not a replacement. If that helps.
    Thanks, I wondered about that. The first EX124Gs were pushed out so fast, to replace the defective LG800Gs and to offer a touchscreen that worked, that they were all packaged in brown boxes (probably by hand to speed it up). Everyone complained at the time but no one ever came back to say they were finally being retail packaged. Thanks again.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast