Thread: Unable to access various websites while tethering

Feedback Score

Unable to access various websites while tethering

I am accumulating a growing list of sites that I am unable to access when connected to the internet via tether. These include bank account sites, some blogs, and certain university sites. One of the university sites said that I was connecting through a suspected network sharing device and immediately kicked me off of the site.

If I connect my computer through a wifi network I can access these sites with no problems. I only run into complications when tethering through my Motorola Spice.

As I replaced my home internet with Mobilicity, this is becoming increasingly frustrating. Are there any solutions? Has anyone else had this problem?

Carriers
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    What are you using to tether the Spice? If happens to be the free version of Easytether, the likely problem is that it will not allow https connections. The full version does, however. If using barnicle to tether via wifi, then I'm not so sure.

FWIW, I notice some odd behavior when visiting sites sometimes while using my Mobi data connection. For example, many of those free hosting sites that are out there won't let me download because they say I'm already downloading something, which I'm not, and haven't on that day. Not sure what the deal is there, but it's probably something along the same lines as your university detecting whatever it is that they're detecting.

Feedback Score
    I don't like Easy Tether after trying it on my Spice,Barnacle seems to work a lot better although it drops the connection more and there were other changes I had to make on my LapTop...I had to remove AdBlock unlike when I was using Rogers when I could go into anything and the Firewall I was using had to be substituted for a lighter unit.Everything seems fine now,but have also noticed that some sites won't let you download things almost as if you're using a proxy where it spots you as intruder even though that's not the case and just won't let you in...that happened with Secunia PSI (the security updater) I'm using and when I reinstalled it I went through.Weird...have no real reason why!

Carriers
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    I have the same problem when tethering my Blackberry Bold.
    It's constantly changing IP addresses like crazy (while connected). So if you go to any website that prompts you to login, upon authenticating it kicks you out (as your IP has changed).

I have a VPS I use as a proxy tunnel and that's the only way I'm able to go to any site that requires me to login.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your responses. Aingaran, that describes the problem well, it is the constantly changing IP address that is getting me kicked off of websites (or preventing me from viewing them at all). Is there any solution for this? I will have to check out a VPS.

Oh, and I am using the full version of easytether. I can get on most https sites, just not all. Some of the sites I am unable to access are not even https. I cannot use barnacle because I have not rooted my phone and would prefer not to.

Phones
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy Note 2
    Nexus One
    Carriers
    1-800-bloodbath-mobility
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jhock View Post
    Thanks for your responses. Aingaran, that describes the problem well, it is the constantly changing IP address that is getting me kicked off of websites (or preventing me from viewing them at all). Is there any solution for this? I will have to check out a VPS.

Oh, and I am using the full version of easytether. I can get on most https sites, just not all. Some of the sites I am unable to access are not even https. I cannot use barnacle because I have not rooted my phone and would prefer not to.
    Well the mobi network is a huge NAT and your public IP should be p-##.yyzec##.stsn.com

Web sites which are properly coded will accept changing IP. (Think TOR) . I can use bank of America web site with this.

Afaik I don't know a solution to this. Shoot them an email (both mobi and the websites blocking you)

I would suggest that you don't get mobi to replace your landline broadband. This never works and mobile data can never replace the role of broadband.

@someone who had problems with file sharing sites. You need the premium account...

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Carrier
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    I had this problem too. I found changing to a manual proxy configuration in my browser worked. The settings I used were strangely enough the same ones as mobi's mms settings. 10.100.3.4 port8080 and I was able to login to everything fine while tethered on my blackberry. Just don't forget to disable it when you're done.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Feedback Score
    Just_peachy:

Thanks so much! this worked perfectly for me. I still had to change the proxy settings back to log into this forum, but it did the trick for getting me into the websites I couldn't access before!

For example, on the Portland State University Website I was receiving this message:

http://www.pdx.edu/forbidden.php

but after changing the proxy settings, I can access the page:

http://www.youthmentoring.ssw.pdx.ed...tpage&Itemid=1

Thanks so much, this is very helpful since I do a lot of my work from home.

Phone
    iPhone 5S/Nexus 4
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Or you could just use the LastPass Google Chrome extension which saves your passwords for login. Just a simple click and you're relogged in.