Thread: Blackberry Curve on Straight Talk network data problem.

Feedback Score

Blackberry Curve on Straight Talk network data problem.

I am trying to use my unlocked TMobile Blackberry Curve 8900 with my sim taken from my Nokia 6790 with Straight Talk (the $45/month unlimited plan). I can talk and text, but can't get the internet or MMS working. I've been told Straight Talk is part of Tracphone, which operates on the Verizon network. I have seen a few threads on using Straight Talk sims with iphones, but haven't found anything that will work on the Blackberry. I found a thread that said to use the APN: att.mvno but that didn't work. I've even contacted Straight Talk for their APN and I was told they did not have that information and that my only option is to use a Straight Talk phone if I want the internet to work (which sounds like bologna to me).

I can get to the 'DNS Lookup Application' on the Blackberry, where I can manually change the APN, and the phone is unlocked so I'm confused as to why I'm having such a hard time finding the right APN and getting this to work. Any ideas?

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1) This is the Verizon forum. 2)Verizon is CDMA, NOT GSM. 3)Straight Talk doesn't support BES/BIS so data will not work on a BlackBerry. 4) Please read before posting.

-Thread Closed-
    v Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).

Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in Birmingham, AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).^

Speed Test with DSL internet with AT&T(Bellsouth). Horrible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by julie83 View Post
    I am trying to use my unlocked TMobile Blackberry Curve 8900 with my sim taken from my Nokia 6790 with Straight Talk (the $45/month unlimited plan). I can talk and text, but can't get the internet or MMS working. I've been told Straight Talk is part of Tracphone, which operates on the Verizon network. I have seen a few threads on using Straight Talk sims with iphones, but haven't found anything that will work on the Blackberry. I found a thread that said to use the APN: att.mvno but that didn't work. I've even contacted Straight Talk for their APN and I was told they did not have that information and that my only option is to use a Straight Talk phone if I want the internet to work (which sounds like bologna to me).

I can get to the 'DNS Lookup Application' on the Blackberry, where I can manually change the APN, and the phone is unlocked so I'm confused as to why I'm having such a hard time finding the right APN and getting this to work. Any ideas?
    You would have to purchase one of the Nokia Smartphone's w/ $45 plan and use that SIM.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; ADR6400L Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Keep in mind that you should be able to get data working on the BB but since ST doesn't have BIS, you won't be able to have true push email or Bbm or the like.

Feedback Score
    CellKrazeDude: 1. I posted on the Verizon forum because ST operates on the Verizon network and seeing as how there is no ST forum, I thought this the most appropriate place. 2. I am obviously not as tech savvy as yourself or I would not be asking the question to begin with, but I did ask an honest question in a very polite manner after I did research and was not able to find the answer myself HENCE why I turned to a cell phone forum (where people ask questions about cell phones and other people try to give helpful answers, no?) so I would appreciate a respectful answer or non at all. Why waste my time or your own with arrogant unhelpful answers? You must have a lot of time on your hands but I don't. 4.) Have a super day :-)

Locust43: The Nokia I purchased is a smartphone and I do have the $45/month plan.

DreamCatcher68: Thank you for posting a helpful answer without trying to imply that I'm a half wit for asking. I am aware that I am not going to have access to all features, but I was under the impression that my browser and MMS should work, and they don't. Is there any way I can get these two specific things to work, or is it impossible?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    If you have a sim card from straight talk, you don't have verizon, you have ATT, Straight talk does have it's own forum, and to answer your question, so far no one has been able to get a BB to do anything but talk and text using the straight talk unlocked sim.

Sent from my iPhone 3G using HowardForums app

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmk76 View Post
    Straight talk does have it's own forum
    ... and here is a link to that forum.

Feedback Score
    CellKrazeDude: 1. I posted on the Verizon forum because ST operates on the Verizon network and seeing as how there is no ST forum, I thought this the most appropriate place. 2. I am obviously not as tech savvy as yourself or I would not be asking the question to begin with, but I did ask an honest question in a very polite manner after I did research and was not able to find the answer myself HENCE why I turned to a cell phone forum (where people ask questions about cell phones and other people try to give helpful answers, no?) so I would appreciate a respectful answer or non at all. Why waste my time or your own with arrogant unhelpful answers? You must have a lot of time on your hands but I don't. 4.) Have a super day :-)

Locust43: The Nokia I purchased is a smartphone and I do have the $45/month plan.

DreamCatcher68: Thank you for posting a helpful answer without trying to imply that I'm a half wit for asking. I am aware that I am not going to have access to all features, but I was under the impression that my browser and MMS should work, and they don't. Is there any way I can get these two specific things to work, or is it impossible?
    Oh ok, sorry I didn't put the model number with the phone. Your SIM run's on AT&T not Verizon, phone's that begin with C are CDMA Verizon, I believe G is AT&T and T is T-Mobile.

Under your APN setting's, clear everything and try APN.

Access point name: att.mvno

That should do it for the internet. I believe. Here are some more settings you can play with

Access points \ Tracfone Multimedia Message \ Proxy

Send proxy settings: (Checked)
    Proxy Name:
    Logical Proxy ID: 2
    Proxy server address: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
    Proxy port number: 80
    Address that are not using proxy:
    Network AP Connected to proxy: Tracfone Multimedia Message
    Homepage: http://mmsc.cingular.com

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Like I said, Verizon is CDMA (NO SIM cards) and GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile) uses SIM cards. Your phone runs off AT&T or T-Mobile. There IS a ST Forum, you just didn't search for it more then likely. I gave you a helpful answer, search for the ST forum.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, I'm not really familiar with how ST works but I think this link may help you out:

http://modmyi.com/forums/other-carri...-apn-info.html

Provided that you put in the right APN and MMS settings for ST, I don't see why it shouldn't work on a Blackberry. iPhones and other devices work just fine.

Feedback Score

your wrong

Verizon uses both cdma and gsm. They are called world phones .so Mr Verizon is cdma only .you are wrong if you would have research this then you would know this.I'm the bipolar.hacker.thank you and have a great day

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude View Post
    Like I said, Verizon is CDMA (NO SIM cards) and GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile) uses SIM cards. Your phone runs off AT&T or T-Mobile. There IS a ST Forum, you just didn't search for it more then likely. I gave you a helpful answer, search for the ST forum.
    I have a verizon blackberry and it takes a sim card so not the part about verizon no sim cards is true...

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The SIM card in a Verizon "world phone" is active only while outside the USA, on foreign GSM carriers.

Feedback Score
    The sim card is not for use on the Verizon network. Only Verizon's LTE network uses SIM cards at the moment. THat sim card in your bb is for using the global features of the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by cherokeequeen74 View Post
    I have a verizon blackberry and it takes a sim card so not the part about verizon no sim cards is true...

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    CellKrazeDude: 1. I posted on the Verizon forum because ST operates on the Verizon network and seeing as how there is no ST forum, I thought this the most appropriate place.
    Straight Talk leases network from both Verizon's and AT&T's network. It depends on the Straight Talk phone model you purchase as to which network the phone will operate on.

Some People here on Howard's Forum have been successful in getting iPhones to work on Straight Talk's leased AT&T GSM network, but not the Verizon IPhone or iPhone 4S with Straight Talk's leased Verizon CDMA network, though I may be incorrect about that. I don't believe Straight Talk will activate CDMA phone model MEIDs not on their list.

And yes there is a Straight Talk forum here in Howard's Fourm.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.