Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Small 3G handset (no, I mean REALLY small)

Feedback Score
    If I were you I will consider SE X8. It fill up with all your demands and its well made so it will serve you for a long time.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    LOL blast from the past... a 6 year old phone?

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've been using these little phones (Posh Micro X S240) as backups and they are indeed awesome. I even lent one to a friend while his normal phone was being repaired, and its minor shortcomings were overshadowed by how hilariously fun they are to use. The on-screen keyboard is barely useable, but works. Oddly, it does not include Swype-style capability.

I had been expecting to swap SIM cards to use one of these little phones for my main account, and my regular handset (original Moto G) as the Internet-heavy optional device. That way, I could just ditch the bigger one when wanting to travel extra light. I haven't done this, though, due to the GPS receiver being too slow for use as a navigator while driving. I'm going to guess that watch phones made with the same chipset would have similar issues.

Where I did get to make very effective use of the S240 was while helping to run a convention. My backup account is an on-site contact number. I didn't want to have pockets bulging with an extra phone, so the S240 discreetly fitting into the 5th pocket (watch pocket) of my trousers was perfect.

One other use that I have for my backup account is as a WiFi hotspot, since it has a generous, grandfathered data plan. Having the S240 run a hotspot while plugged into a charger during an all-day road trip worked for the early day, but after parking in the sun, then driving again, it gave a heat alert. I guess that we were near a threshold for heat dispersion. Holding it in front of an air vent let it keep working later on. I might rig a holder for it to attach to the vent. Possibly this could have been avoided if I had turned off the hotspot while parked. It worked fine in the evening on the way home. I have seen other phones have similar issues with heat, so I do not consider this to be a particular weakness of the S240; it's just not unusually adept either, despite having components that one might assume generate less heat.

Unlike many other modern Android phones, the custom shortcut control menu that you can access by swiping down from the top edge of the main screen does NOT include a hotspot toggle. You have to dive into the settings menus every time to control it.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Been a fan of small phones since I paid too much for a Nokia 8810 almost 20 years ago. Never understood why phones went large when small was always more desirable. Stuck on an iPhone 5s and refuse to upgrade and increase form factor any larger.

Still a sucker for a small phone, so just backed this Jelly 4G.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-4g-smartphone

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I'm thinking that <3" is a little *too* tiny for me. Still hoping for small and powerful.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That Jelly looks great! It looks to be the same size as the Posh S240. The Unbox Therapy guy likes it. His review went very similarly to the POSH:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07tkIbbLH_Y

Having used it, yes, at 2.4" screen is JUST a little too small. Even a bit bigger would be much more practical for keyboard use. There have been some 3.2" very low end Android phones made for the USA market. 2.8" would be the sweet spot, I think.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    At this point I'm struggling to even just get something a smidgen less tall than my 3.5 year old Nexus 5.

I've looked into the Sony Xperia X Compact, but because the bastards didn't release it in Canada, if I import it there's zip zilch warranty.

Device(s)
    Samsung A157v
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    At this point I'm struggling to even just get something a smidgen less tall than my 3.5 year old Nexus 5.

I've looked into the Sony Xperia X Compact, but because the bastards didn't release it in Canada, if I import it there's zip zilch warranty.
    Optimus zone 3?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipPhoneHoldou View Post
    Optimus zone 3?
    Not compatible with Canadian mobile networks. (Also way underpowered.)

I ended up buying a refurb Xperia X Comapct that had somehow made its way to Best Buy Canada's web site.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5