Thread: Straight Talk CDMA Coverage and Registration

Feedback Score

Straight Talk CDMA Coverage and Registration

Question 1
    Are there any locations in which Straight Talk CDMA phones do not use the Verizon Prepaid native (non-roaming) network? (I ask because I read that AT&T still has some CDMA towers running, and Straight Talk contracts with AT&T in addition to Verizon.) That is, is Verizon's native prepaid coverage map a reliable indicator of Straight Talk CDMA coverage?

Question 2
    When Straight Talk requests a zip-code during the activation of a CDMA phone, does this only affect the assigned phone number, or does it also affect which towers the phone will try to use (or anything else aside from the assigned phone number)?

Question 3
    What personal information does Straight Talk activation REQUIRE?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Q1 Its basic Verizon tier 1 coverage (which is NO roaming).
    Q2 Assigns a local phone number for that area code. The tower assignment is based on where ever you are located when you activate.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Q1 Its basic Verizon tier 1 coverage (which is NO roaming).
    I presume this means the Verizon prepaid coverage map is an accurate representation of Straight Talk coverage (making sure to ignore the areas colored as "Roaming"). Correct? Also, is this really know as Tier 1, or is it called Tier 3?

Q2 Assigns a local phone number for that area code.
    Is there any way to request a particular prefix (i.e. the three numbers after the area code)?

The tower assignment is based on where ever you are located when you activate.
    So the Preferred Roaming List is downloaded by the phone during activation? Activation location affects which Preferred Roaming List gets downloaded? Does the Preferred Roaming List get updated automatically when moving about the country? How do you update it manually?

Does anyone know the answer to Question 3?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You can apply for an account to see what infomation is requested. If they request information you do not care to reveal, you can cancel the transaction.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    Strayed Talk
    Feedback Score
    Regarding question #3: They don't require any (real) personal information at all. When I activated my phone I gave all fictitious information. I buy PIN cards for cash each month. Nothing concerning the phone is associated with any of my real information. Give `em whatever name you want. If they ask for an address, same thing. No problems.

►►► U.S. Ranks Dead Last In Overall Social Spending (Read the comments section too!)

►►► The Scam Behind The Rise In Oil And Food Prices

THINK for yourself!
    QUESTION authority!
    Realize that ALL governments LIE!
    Don't be one of the sheeple!

Feedback Score
    Is it possible to request a specific exchange number?

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5
    iPad WiFi + Cellular (3rd Gen)
    FreedomPop Photon
    Carriers
    Verizon (iPhone/iPad LTE)
    FreedomPop (Clear MVNO)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileperson View Post
    Is it possible to request a specific exchange number?
    IIRC, I didn't see an option for this when I [re]activated my E71 (I didn't pay attention though ). Tracfancier or others might know more about this on the CDMA end (or saw something I didn't).
    Also, Customer Service might be able to help you on getting a certain exchange prefix on your new phone. YMMV. Tracfone/ST allows number changes four times per year according to ST's FAQ.

Another note: it would depend on what is available for Verizon (in this case) in the zip code you put down during activation. You can't, say, get a 354-xxxx number if Verizon isn't allowed to give out (or has no available) 354-xxxx numbers.
    The only exception is porting, which then you obviously can port a number with the exchange prefix you already have, assuming you have it on your account with the porting-away-from carrier.

One last thing that might be a good thing for you to look into: Google Voice. They allow you to pick a specific phone number you want from their lists (you can see if you can make one using your name or something memorable) and you could forward calls from that number directly to your phones. That might be easier than getting a specific number or exchange prefix via CS.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT