Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Casio G'zOne Commando C771 Release Thread

Device(s)
    Casio G'zone Commando
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Windows Batch File to Root Gingerbread in the Commando

DooMLord has created a Windows batch file that should root the commando for you.
    Check it out: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1319653

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    It seems like ##PROGRAM# doesn't work on this phone. What are the hidden menu codes? More specifically the code to change to 13k from EVRC
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Device(s)
    Droid Commando iPhone4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadManWalking View Post
    Battery life definitely worse. Drained at the end of each day since. Very rare before.
    Rare for me too. I could go 2 full days before recharging it when I got it new back in late April 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    I'm also enjoying the GB update. Was hoping for better battery management tho and not seeing that yet. It seems worse but not sure if it's the Launcher Pro I installed at about the same time or not. Anyone have any personal observations re battery life? Not rooted.
    My Commando is not rooted and is on 2.3.3 right now. Battery sucks hard. Never installed "launcher pro" on my phone.

It updated itself on Feb. 9th and I don't know if it added more useless Verizon Bloatware*, but I have to now charge it before the end of an 8-hour work day, and it's not even my primary phone. Barely using it for 1 hour of calls, a few pictures and some music or vid for 30 min (max). It really seems like my battery is much worse than how it was on Day 1.
    I'm still on the original 1460mAh 3.7V Li-ion. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a larger capacity, or just get a new basic one.

Quote Originally Posted by robertjglenn View Post
    That's interesting...
    Had you removed any of the bloatware? I know of a few folks, me included, who removed several of the carrier apps and even after restoring them the update won't load.
    If the update is not rootable then I absolutely don't want it. The phone is just to smooth with all the apps I'll never use being removed.
    (forgive the ignorance) I assume by rooting it you can put it back to a "bare bones" smartphone, right?
    Does this void the warranty? I would love to get rid of at least 7 CrAPPs that Vzw forces on "MY" device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
    It seems like ##PROGRAM# doesn't work on this phone. What are the hidden menu codes? More specifically the code to change to 13k from EVRC
    Hmm. I just tried it. ##7764726 Send, [000000] and I got in there.
    Seems to work for me. <I hit back and it reboot>

Carrier(s)
    AT&T via Cricket Wireless, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via Motorola SmartZone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaneen View Post
    (forgive the ignorance) I assume by rooting it you can put it back to a "bare bones" smartphone, right?
    Does this void the warranty? I would love to get rid of at least 7 CrAPPs that Vzw forces on "MY" device.
    Rooting does void the warranty, even for issues that are in no way related to rooting. There are workarounds to this, though.

The C771M100 build is not so good. I use VZW PTT and I really like the UI for the PTT app. It is the best by far of all the PTT phones I have had - including Nextels. The service, well, it is what it is...

Here are some issues I have seen for myself or read that others are having with the M100 build:

Bloat and even more bloat.
    Double bloat for video & music apps.
    Battery life.
    If you open the PTT app but do not have PTT on the account the application appears to continuously try to obtain authorization for PTT and quickly kills the battery. If you force close the app the phone reboots and tries again.
    If you use the charging dock the phone has a dock screen, has since the beginning. With this build, if you put the phone into the dock while locked, the dock screen will come on but it's locked and you can't press any buttons. You have to take the phone out of the dock, unlock it and put it back in. After a little while it will be locked again.
    No root method.

Hopefully there will be yet another update to fix what is broken and break something else. Seems like this could/should be marketed as an employer provided phone (now esp. with PTT) and I'm quite sure I would not want my employees playing with all these apps on their provided phone.

Device(s)
    Droid Commando iPhone4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robertjglenn View Post
    Rooting does void the warranty, even for issues that are in no way related to rooting. There are workarounds to this, though.

The C771M100 build is not so good. I use VZW PTT and I really like the UI for the PTT app. It is the best by far of all the PTT phones I have had - including Nextels. The service, well, it is what it is...

Here are some issues I have seen for myself or read that others are having with the M100 build:

Bloat and even more bloat.
    Double bloat for video & music apps.
    Battery life.
    If you open the PTT app but do not have PTT on the account the application appears to continuously try to obtain authorization for PTT and quickly kills the battery. If you force close the app the phobbusinne reboots and tries again.
    Thanks. Yeah.
    This is my work-provided phone and so I can't root it.
    I have never opened the PTT app and I will probably never use it (although I now see it on the list of apps).

So what are the workarounds to stop this PTT or other Bloatware apps from using all my battery? (TIA)
    Go into the filesystem (or program menu) and delete a part of the App(s) that I don't need?.?
    I have no idea.

At least the update seemed to fix the problem it used to have when pressing "back" once and it "double-clicks" back twice.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T via Cricket Wireless, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via Motorola SmartZone
    Feedback Score
    The problem is that these bloatware apps are incorporated into the stock ROM and you cannot delete them as you would other apps. You must have root access which presents two problems for you:

1. I'm sure you are reluctant to hack on your employers phone (good call),
    2. If you weren't, there isn't a root method for the latest build.

You can go into your apps manager to running apps and force close all the ones you know don't need to be running. Of course every time you reboot the phone you will have to do this.

This presents some interesting issues for an employer provided phone. The IRS has determined that personal use of a company phone is a taxable benefit. If an employee uses some of the bloatware apps for their own entertainment would they be exposing themselves & their employer to tax liability? What is the taxable value of 3 hours of streaming Slacker Radio or watching a couple of videos with the Verizon Video app?

I wonder...

Feedback Score
    Hope this is the right forum.
    My friend has a Commando that will not roam to other carriers towers in town.

Details:
    We live in a remote town in Alaska.
    Verizon has no towers in the area, just ATT and GCI.
    His phone worked last year, before he left town for a few months.
    Someone else in town has a Commando on Verizon and it works.
    He has spent literally days talking to Verizons techs double checking settings.
    Sent the phone 3 times to Verizon to try to make it work.
    He can get thru to Verizon by dialing 611
    Tried the *288 thing to update the towers.
    This is not just a Commando issue, but affects some other Verizon phones in town.
    His phone works fine everywhere else.

On my ATT phone, I can see the tower #'s. Is there a way to manually input the tower ID in the Casio? Is there any PC/droid software out there for the Commando so you can work on it better?

My friend has been without his phone for several months now. I'd like to try to help him figure it out.

Thanks!
    Last edited by dauen1; 06-04-2013 at 03:59 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8