Thread: Is it common for coverage/reception to decrease during power outages?

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Is it common for coverage/reception to decrease during power outages?

In the afternoon in Toronto the power was out for a few hours and I noticed that my cell phone reception with Rogers went from 4/4 bars with 3g at a decent speed to 1/4 bars with 3g/2g at a very slow rate.

Does this happen for anyone else, and with other providers than Rogers during blackouts? I'm assuming that most of Rogers' towers don't have backup generators or they decrease the output signal to conserve power.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That's what happen to me on metropcs in south florida

Sent from my Android

Phone
    Palm Pixi Plus
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular via dealer
    Feedback Score
    During a crisis, text message is used alot because it requires "less" to get thru. So your result
    doesn't surprise me.

Sheng-Chieh

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shengchieh View Post
    During a crisis, text message is used alot because it requires "less" to get thru. So your result
    doesn't surprise me.
    During a "crisis" text messages are the only thing "to get thru" because all the circuits are jammed with voice calls You are right they require "less" (capacity) to get through.

I don't know what that has to do with power or signal/coverage. Kind of random comment lol

As to the OP maybe something ran out of battery power, or has no battery backup...

Carriers
    Verizon (Personal)
    Cricket (Work)
    Feedback Score
    On the equipment I administer, there is no procedure, either manually or embedded than decreases signal to conserve power. However since I work with CDMA, I have witnessed, if you also use CDMA as a technology the ideaoligy that as usage increases, it decreases coverage. With this in mind, a power outage in the area would probably cause more usage, since people need to communicate the situation to loved ones.

So it does not surprise me at all, its not a problem with limiting anyone, its just a problem with the base technology. When the batteries do start to fail at the tower(assuming no generator was manually deployed) you will know because all calls with drop and you will receive no service :P

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, when a tornado went through here and took out power.. well..
    1) It physically damaged a site or 2. This would not apply for your case.

2) They have generator backup where possible, but it's just not physically possible for some sites, i.e. rooftop site that can't take the weight or whatever. I've heard of other cases where a carrier will save $$$ by putting backup on "main" sites and not the rest.

3) The big factor here was AT&T and IWireless had no generator backup so no GSM whatsoever. US Cellular and Sprint had no generators either so all three CDMA carriers worth of load all crammed onto Verizon Wireless' network. (I don't know what happened to Nextel iDen). This means serious cell shrinkage (CDMA & WCDMA style) and slow data. Perhaps everyone but Rogers took a dump and you had Wind, Mobilicity, etc. users roaming & clogging up the works.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using HowardForums