Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lost tethering when I transitioned to AT&T

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Lost tethering when I transitioned to AT&T

When I got my HTC Hero from Alltel, it came with free tethering. The transition was supposed to give me a plan with the same features, and a phone that is comparable to my old one. So far that is mostly correct, I got the HTC Aria, and for the most part everything is pretty much the same as my old phone. Except it no longer allows tethering.
    Anyone else have this problem? or maybe someone knows how to get it fixed? I do have a screen capture of the deal that Alltel gave me if that matters. I don't know if this is a feature they have disabled, or if the aria simply isn't capable of tethering. Should I ask for a different phone? or maybe its an option they can add? I really don't want to be stuck having to buy a different phone or pay for a new plan just to get the same thing I had before the transition.
    Thanks in advance for any help

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Get Titanium Backup Root from the marketplace. Hope your phone is rooted if not do that first. Open titanium up and go to the application manager and find tethering.apk or something close to that and remove it. Should allow you to tether then.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Not that I'm against rooting, but since this ATT messed up my account I was hoping for a way to get them to fix it.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T former Alltel Blue (WWC)
    Feedback Score
    If you had the tethering feature on your Alltel account it would have transfered. The aria is capable of tethering via usb or the wifi hotspot feature if it has been updated to android 2.2.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. Thats probably the issue then, I have 2.1
    I'll try that.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Doh! I just asked about this in a different thread. Whoops.

So if my phone has a Wifi Hot Spot app, I still need to have the tethering feature on Alltel before the transition in order to use this feature on my new AT&T phone??

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, I updated to 2.2, and it is now able to tether, but I get an error telling me that I need to add tethering to my account.
    This was one of the reasons that I got an android phone in the first place. When I was shopping for the phone, the sales guy even explained how to install sync on my computer and how to turn on internet sharing on the hero. I don't need it all the time, but its very handy when I'm not at my desk.
    I'm still not sure if I'm just doing something wrong, but from the error msg it looks like at&t didn't transfer this option over.

Device(s)
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    Carrier(s)
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Att has blocked downloading some of the tether apps. However I was able to download easytether after I took out the sim and accessed the marketplace via wifi. I was able to tether with a motorola backflip this way. Which Att has locked down and it is only android 1.6.
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Feedback Score
    I spent some time on the phone with at&t and this was what worked for me go to settings>wireless and networks>mobile networks>access point names>hit ur menu button > create new apn>name it Cingular and under apn option put in isp.Cingular

Now try to tether also note u must have HTC sync installed

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    no other settings have to be configured? Username, server, etc?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by izzaboo View Post
    no other settings have to be configured? Username, server, etc?
    Nope that was all they told me to do lemme know if it works for u

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wow. That actually works. You rock. Even more amazing, you actually got help when you called AT&T!
    Thank you for finding a solution.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ayoung View Post
    Wow. That actually works. You rock. Even more amazing, you actually got help when you called AT&T!
    No prob and it took me calling in like 4 or 5 times and being on the phone for over an hour each time lol

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkon07 View Post
    No prob and it took me calling in like 4 or 5 times and being on the phone for over an hour each time lol
    I just did that over a month with United Airlines. Although two calls were about 2 hours each. Don't you wish you could send them a bill for your time? I sure do.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ayoung View Post
    Hmmmm. I couldn't get it to work for me. I'll have to try again tomorrow when I have time again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast