Thread: iPhone 3gs with tmobile prepaid?

Feedback Score

iPhone 3gs with tmobile prepaid?

hey guys,

Hey guys i have an unlocked iPHone 3gs and looking foward to set up a prepaid tmobile account to work with my iPhone 3gs. Im worried about the data with this phone. I understand it will only work with edge because of the frequencies but i heard edge is pretty fast. (can anyone confirm this) I was going to get the 50 dollar plan whcih is unlimited talk and text and 100mb of data. Now will that 100 mb of data work on the iPhone. Im jsut really going ot use the fb app and maybe i can get the 30 dollar plan that has 30mb of data. Would that be enough for just emails and facebook on the go. As i have wifi at home.

thank you

Or i can get the unlimited text plan for 15 dollars and pay for data seperately i think its 25 dollars for 100mb.

thanks guys

Also any good threads on here with people using iPhones on prepaid t-mobile?

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by malberti1993 View Post
    Im worried about the data with this phone. I understand it will only work with edge because of the frequencies but i heard edge is pretty fast. (can anyone confirm this)
    You'll need to change the Data APN and MMS APN (assuming you want MMS), but thats very easy. As long as you have a jailbroken iPhone, its no issue, theres even packages in Cydia to configure the APNs to T-Mobile.

EDGE (2G data) is about 100 to 200kbps (on my old 3GS, i got 200-250kbps pretty regularly), so its not very fast. Its definitely usable for email, and facebook is ok if your not looking at images/videos.

Theres a lot of iPhone users on T-Mobile in the Official T-Mobile Forums:
    http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Non-T-...Phones/bd-p/08
    Theres also guides there for configuring/setting up the iPhone as well

I was going to get the 50 dollar plan whcih is unlimited talk and text and 100mb of data. Now will that 100 mb of data work on the iPhone. Im jsut really going ot use the fb app and maybe i can get the 30 dollar plan that has 30mb of data. Would that be enough for just emails and facebook on the go. As i have wifi at home.
    It really depends on your usage and how many emails your getting. I don't think the 30MB will get you through a month though. 100MB may be enough but T-Mobile is changing their $50 monthly prepaid to be 100MB and then throttled internet later this month (slower speeds but you can continue using data). However since the phone is on 2G already, I don't think its going to be any slower. So you may just want to wait a little bit and see how that goes, the text I got says it rolls out to the $70 plan on 5/22 (19 days from today).
    (http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...2#post14382492)

There is no $25 200MB option, thats AT&T prepaid I think. T-Mobile Prepaid only offers data via $1.5 daypass (24 hour) for internet or the monthly prepaid plans.

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I used my iPhone 3GS with my T-Mobile prepaid SIM while I was in Las Vegas in January (I live in Canada) and for me, EDGE was obviously fast enough for email, instant messaging, some browsing, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I was also able to stream some online radio stations and it was fast enough for that as well.

However, for any video applications (like SlingPlayer Mobile, YouTube, etc.), EDGE wasn't fast enough for this... at least based on my T-Mobile prepaid usage in January.
    Last edited by lmcjipo; 05-04-2011 at 01:29 AM.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Fido (monthly): ZTE WF720 Wireless Home Phone

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): OnePlus One

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10 <- CANCELLED over Dispute

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or LG Nexus-4

Bell (tablet plan): Rogers unlocked Blackberry Q10

My Tech Blog

Feedback Score
    thank you guys , im just curious how much emails and fb and only that would use in data each month.

Like the post said he said 50 dollars for 100 mb but i think the 22nd thats going to become unlimited data throttled though.

Are they going to change the 30 dollar plan to 100mb instead of 30 mb?

Also do i give tmobile my real imei iphone numbner?

thank you guys

If you would like to k now, i currently have the virginmoble plan with my blackberry. Their service isnt really realible, i miss calls like crazy and im hopping tmobile would be much better.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    thank you guys , im just curious how much emails and fb and only that would use in data each month.
    It really depends, we can't give you an answer. I will say when I had my iPhone 3GS on T-Mobile prepaid, I used about 150MB a month for email, IM (BeejiveIM), and a little web browsing (mainly Pulse News). I used the $50 plan and supplemented it with about 3-5 web day passes once I ran out of 100MB.

Are they going to change the 30 dollar plan to 100mb instead of 30 mb?

Also do i give tmobile my real imei iphone numbner?
    Nope, thats not been announced and I highly doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Theres no problem giving them the real IMEI, this isn't AT&T where you technically can't use an iPhone on prepaid or are forced to get a data plan.

Feedback Score
    thank you for quick response guys. I heard tmobile edge speed is almost comparable with atnt 3g speeds..

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    thank you for quick response guys. I heard tmobile edge speed is almost comparable with atnt 3g speeds..
    Wow, who told you that? 2G is like up to 250kbps (real world) while 3G is generally up to 3-5mbps. Even though AT&Ts network is mismanaged, its 3G network is still faster than a 2G network.

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I can't comment on my data usage since I was using the web day pass for my data needs while I was on vacation.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5
    iPad WiFi + Cellular (3rd Gen)
    FreedomPop Photon
    Carriers
    Verizon (iPhone/iPad LTE)
    FreedomPop (Clear MVNO)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    Wow, who told you that? 2G is like up to 250kbps (real world) while 3G is generally up to 3-5mbps. Even though AT&Ts network is mismanaged, its 3G network is still faster than a 2G network.
    True, but loads on the 3G networks are also greater because of smartphone use and along with inadequate backhaul directly equates to slower individual speeds. That said, there can be cases that an iPhone on T-Mobile 2G/EDGE could be on par or even faster than the same on at&t 3G.

Until about 6 months ago, that was the case in some areas I frequented.

Also at&t arbitrarily throttles data use based on the 'priority' level the customer is in; take the case regarding such throttling on GoPhone users. I've seen this throttling on PYP back a year and a half ago. It made EDGE on T-Mobile look great.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT