Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3G SIM Card and tethering?

Phone
    MyTouch 4G Slide
    Carriers
    T-Mobile ToGo
    Feedback Score

3G SIM Card and tethering?

I got set up with a new GoPhone (AT&T F160) today and had to contact customer support. During the call, the tech mentioned the SIM card they sent me was a basic card, not meant for 3G service. He suggested I stop at a local AT&T store and get it swapped for the 3G SIM card.

Is this correct, AT&T has different types of SIM cards? (Mine is plain orange on the metal side, no 3G symbol)

Related to that, what is the current tethering settings for AT&T? Is it just setting the APN to wap.cingular for 3G?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    What sensible person would tether with a GoPhone account? You would blow through your data package and start being on pay-per-use at $10.24 per megabyte.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    It is now $2.04 per MB for pay per use, remember? :P But yes, it's still insane to do pay per use. He didn't say anything about using it for YouTube or streaming music though. Perhaps he just wants to check a few sites every once in a while on something more useful than his simple AT&T F160?

Phones
    too many to list
    virgin mobile blackberry curve 8530
    Page Plus Droid X2 and Droid 3
    Carriers
    virgin mobile
    lycamobile
    Feedback Score

tethering

why would you want to tether with such limited data, Then again my my uncle is the same way, he got the 100megs for 15 and use up that data in less then 10 mins.
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Why should I remember? I do not use a GoPhone.

Phone
    MyTouch 4G Slide
    Carriers
    T-Mobile ToGo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    What sensible person would tether with a GoPhone account? You would blow through your data package and start being on pay-per-use at $10.24 per megabyte.
    AT&T is the only option in the rural area I sometimes visit (I use T-Mobile normally). I need Internet access 2-3 times a year. So I buy a data package (500MB for $25) for those visits.

Questions still stands... correct settings for tethering on AT&T 3G network?

Phones
    too many to list
    Carriers
    virgin mobile
    lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    what phone are you useing, if its an android then its easy

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Carrier
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Is this correct, AT&T has different types of SIM cards? (Mine is plain orange on the metal side, no 3G symbol)
    Yes. I've recently bought two phones from the GoPhone website: a Pantech Link ($25 refurb) which is a 3G phone and a Samsung Sunburst ($39 refurb) which is Edge. The sim supplied with the Link says 3G, the sim that came with the Sunburst doesn't.

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    Funny, I got two gophones also from att site. Nokia 2720 refurb and it came with a 3g sim and ZTE F160 "refurb" which actually is a "3g" phone and it had a "non 3g" sim....

Phones
    too many to list
    Carriers
    virgin mobile
    lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    you can do it for sure with the pantech link i know but i did it, i had that phone an few months back download the pantech link software from the wwbsite

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Phone
    MyTouch 4G Slide
    Carriers
    T-Mobile ToGo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mommusic View Post
    Funny, I got two gophones also from att site. Nokia 2720 refurb and it came with a 3g sim and ZTE F160 "refurb" which actually is a "3g" phone and it had a "non 3g" sim....
    The ZTE F160 is the phone I picked up, and the national customer service fellow implied I wasn't given a 3G sim card. However, doing some more tests with it in an area that has a better AT&T signal, I can get speeds between 1-2Mbps tethering, so obviously I'm getting better than EDGE speeds. (Speedtests via the F160 phone's web browser reported closer to 5M). However, I stopped in at the local AT&T store to ask them about the SIM card and they instantly offered to swap it for a new one that guaranteed was a 3G card. I've retested using the new "3G" SIM card and I get the same speeds.

Bottom line: I'm not convinced there is a specific "3G" SIM card.

Related, I have been able to get the F160 to tether via bluetooth. And I've pulled the SIM card to put it into WWAN wireless card and have been able to use it there as well. The only real "trick" was making sure the APN is wap.cingular.

Thanks for the feedback.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    With a GoPhone, all you risk is your account balance. They cannot add a data plan to a prepaid account. I would advise you not to add more funds than you are prepared to lose.

Feedback Score
    Sub'd... When I've tethered using my Sammy A777, I didn't have to change any network settings - I just paired w/BT, or plugged in to my MBA w/a USB cable, and I was able to connect using the device as a GSM modem. Now the specifics of getting your OS to talk to the phone may be the next challenge, I know OSX makes it very easy.

Phones
    Nokia 6300
    RAZR v3
    Nokia 7210/
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Guys, please, everyone's situation is different. Some people want to just do light tethering because they want to check a site or two on their laptop with a full screen and keyboard. Yes you could blow through 100 megs quickly, but it really depends on one's situation.

Does anyone know if the GoPhone will work with iPhone tethering?

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5
    iPad WiFi + Cellular (3rd Gen)
    FreedomPop Photon
    Carriers
    Verizon (iPhone/iPad LTE)
    FreedomPop (Clear MVNO)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2000 View Post
    Guys, please, everyone's situation is different. Some people want to just do light tethering because they want to check a site or two on their laptop with a full screen and keyboard. Yes you could blow through 100 megs quickly, but it really depends on one's situation.

Does anyone know if the GoPhone will work with iPhone tethering?
    You'd have to modify the iPhone's tethering APN settings to the wap.cingular APN. It should then work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast