Thread: How to upgrade during the 30 day window

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

How to upgrade during the 30 day window

I got the Aria, but I would like to upgrade to the Atrix. I see a refurbished Atrix on the att website for $99.99, but if I try to order it online it says I'm in contract and wants $600. I called customer service, and they said it should work and that I should be able to upgrade. They offered to do the upgrade on the phone, but only had new devices for 199.99 each, and they said that I should be able to get the $99.99 price online. I just spent an hour and a half on the phone with them and spoke with half a dozen reps and finally gave up because nobody could get this to actually work. Does anyone know how to get the website to process the order? Or maybe a phone number to call where you can get the same phones that the website offers?

Device(s)
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    When I was still on the Alltel plan, I had a hard time being able to do anything on the website. I didn't have access to some of the features and things.

Keep in mind though, if you do upgrade to the Atrix you will more than likely have to switch to the AT&T 200 MB or 2 GB data plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ayoung View Post
    I got the Aria, but I would like to upgrade to the Atrix. I see a refurbished Atrix on the att website for $99.99, but if I try to order it online it says I'm in contract and wants $600. I called customer service, and they said it should work and that I should be able to upgrade. They offered to do the upgrade on the phone, but only had new devices for 199.99 each, and they said that I should be able to get the $99.99 price online. I just spent an hour and a half on the phone with them and spoke with half a dozen reps and finally gave up because nobody could get this to actually work. Does anyone know how to get the website to process the order? Or maybe a phone number to call where you can get the same phones that the website offers?
    You would be much happier with the Inspire.. less money, better phone IMHO

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpapa30 View Post
    When I was still on the Alltel plan, I had a hard time being able to do anything on the website. I didn't have access to some of the features and things.

Keep in mind though, if you do upgrade to the Atrix you will more than likely have to switch to the AT&T 200 MB or 2 GB data plan.
    Yes, they did say that would be required. There was a bit of a pattern of telling me that they would have to transfer me to someone who could definitely fix my problem, but asking me if before they transfer me would I like to change data plans and have them set me up with a mailing label to send back the aria (and add a $150 charge to my account just in case I didn't send it)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsky30 View Post
    You would be much happier with the Inspire.. less money, better phone IMHO
    The inspire is nice, but side by side with my aria it just looked like a slightly larger version of the same exact phone.

After seeing how useless the reps are, and seeing how AT&T locks out functions that used to be free on my Hero, I have decided that I'm not going to bother wasting my money trying to get another phone from them. Honestly, the only thing keeping me from dumping AT&T is the fact that my only other option is Verizon.

Device(s)
    HTC Aria
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ayoung View Post
    After seeing how useless the reps are, and seeing how AT&T locks out functions that used to be free on my Hero, I have decided that I'm not going to bother wasting my money trying to get another phone from them. Honestly, the only thing keeping me from dumping AT&T is the fact that my only other option is Verizon.
    Have you updated your Aria to the AT&T 2.2 ROM? If not... root that sucker and install FR008 on it. If you have applied the update, you are S.O.L. as the boot loader is locked down after the update and can not be rooted afterwards.

BTW, what kind of stuff used to be free on your Hero that isn't on your Aria?

Here is how to root your Aria: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...86&postcount=1

Here is the ROM that is Android 2.2: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=819715

I wouldn't get the Atrix for one simple reason, it doesn't have HTC Sense. I was running a vanilla Android on my Hero and HTC Sense is the one thing I missed the most.