Phone
    Blackberry Tour
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Caller ID name announce

Is there a way to set up so the name gets announced from caller id? I have an iphone 4 verizon. Thanks in advance.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There is a Caller Id ringtone app which matches up a number with a name. Unfortunately, you have to download the ringtone by email, place the attachment in the iTunes Ringtone Library, synchronize the phone and select that ringtone for the appropriate contact. That is a convoluted way to do what many other smartphones and not so smart phones have been doing automatically for years.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    iPhone 4 (iOS 6.1.2)
    Motorola V400 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There's one if you JB the phone. D/l the program iannounce.

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There is also one called CallTell for a JB phone that works great. Not only will it announce the incoming callers name (if the name is in your contact list) or the number if it isn't, it will also read your text messages to you. Great feature especially when you get a text while driving. Saves you from having to read the text while driving.
    Go Gators!

Feedback Score
    I also use and really like CallTell. It has a lot of variable settings that allow you to have it work or not when the ringer is silent or you are on a call, etc.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I love how everyone just immediately goes to jailbreaking and won't even ATTEMPT to try to use the phone as normal, because there's tons of amazing things in the phone as it is:

To activate Name Announce, go into Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Voiceover and switch it to On.

Yes it is an accessibility feature for people who have a hard time seeing what's on the screen, so you will then have to double tap everything in order to make it work, but if you don't mind that, it will announce your callers as they call in. Sure it's not as ideal as something that solely announces the caller, but my point was that people have got to stop immediately going to jailbreak and actually see that the phone can do a lot of the things already that they are being jailbroken for.

Phones
    iPhone 4 (iOS 6.1.2)
    Motorola V400 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    First off, if I didn't like the iPhone, I would've gotten one of the umpteenth iterations of android phone.
    Second, as amazing as the iPhone is, the stock iOS can't do certain things. The most important one is that JB allows me to install ultrasnow, so I can pop in a foreign sim whenever I travel.

If you have a bug up your butt about JB, you have the choice to not JB. If you want to go a step further and show what can be done on the stock iOS, then more power to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
    I love how everyone just immediately goes to jailbreaking and won't even ATTEMPT to try to use the phone as normal, because there's tons of amazing things in the phone as it is:

people have got to stop immediately going to jailbreak and actually see that the phone can do a lot of the things already that they are being jailbroken for.

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T (Formerly known as Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Howmander View Post

To activate Name Announce, go into Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Voiceover and switch it to On.

Yes it is an accessibility feature for people who have a hard time seeing what's on the screen, so you will then have to double tap everything in order to make it work, but if you don't mind that, it will announce your callers as they call in. Sure it's not as ideal as something that solely announces the caller, but my point was that people have got to stop immediately going to jailbreak and actually see that the phone can do a lot of the things already that they are being jailbroken for.

Jailbreaking is almost as easy as installing an app from the app store. So why wouldn't someone do so to get a certain feature they want?

You think Android users are just twiddling their thumbs waiting for Netflix to be compatible with their devices? Hell no, they don't have a problem rooting and doing what needs to be done.

Why do some people have such a negative stigma about jailbreaking the iPhone, when this is and has for the longest been done on every smartphone phone OS.

In this case Jailbreak is better than the method you provided.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Any Unix user knows the hazards of always signing on as an Administrator.

Phones
    iPhone 4S 64GB Black
    iPhone 5 64GB Black
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I personally don't have a problem with jailbreaking. My iPad is jailbroken. But my iPhone 4 is not. I get to tired of the cat and mouse game. That's why I keep my iPhone pure. Plus I use it most, out of all of my devices.

Phones
    Droid Maxx
    Retired: Many Motorola, such as DPC550,StarTac,V720. Also BB 9530,9850 (sigh)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Any Unix user knows the hazards of always signing on as an Administrator.
    Unix users should be cautious about "root" (thus "rooting" an Android device). It's Windows users that have to be cautious about "Administrator". But on Vista and beyond, when you log in as an administrative user, you don't automatically have "administrative" privileges; you will be prompted for confirmation if you ask to do something that requires such privileges.

Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    ^^^^^ very ture
    Wind
    Line 1:
    $45 Unlimited everything a month $45
    Line 2: $45 Unlimited everything a month $45