Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S III Brown
    Samsung Galaxy S III Brown
    Motorola Droid
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

New over the phone programming *228 May 16

On May 16 US Cellular is making a enhancement to its *228. Where it can do phone programming and as well as PRL update. This will make sales rep easier to program the phone and customer not going to store to program their phone.

Phones
    Samsung G3 4.1.1 rooted
    Samsung G3 4.1.1 rooted
    HTC Hero (Daughter)
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    That sounds cool. I assume the phone still has to have an matching ESN in their database tho. How will it know who "you" are when you program it?

BTC
    BillThyCat
    Cell Phone user since 1995
    Owner of a Samsung G3 from USCC (Rooted) Freed up all those pesky USCC apps too
    - There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't. -

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S IV 16 GB Black
    Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I see potential flaws but it's something that they've needed to implement for quite some time. Good for them.

Phone
    Blackberry Torch 9850
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    USCC will still have to program the ESN into the computer systems, it just means that for most phones we wont have to program the device anymore. Yay!!

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S IV 16 GB Black
    Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ddooley View Post
    USCC will still have to program the ESN into the computer systems, it just means that for most phones we wont have to program the device anymore. Yay!!
    So this won't allow for changing devices on a whim? Hmm... bummer.

Feedback Score
    This could mean a move away from an expensive "Brick and Mortar" dealer system and towards a distribution system of on line sales and retailers like walgreens, traget, vons, etc.

This helps to put them on a footing with what all the other major carriers are doing.

They won't abandon the dealer system yet but they will make their distribution foot print much larger.

Phones
    Me= See Avatar
    Better question, which phones dont i use.
    Carriers
    U.S. Cellular (current),
    Feedback Score
    Also makes it easier for people to call in esn swaps over the phone when stores are closed. Alot of people are phone shy and dont like to have to program so now all they have to do is say can you read me the esn? Okay pop the battery in and dial *228. Okay test call and your done. No more looking up procedures for phones. No more CDMA lock codes ETC. The list goes on.
    Bought a tour used thought i would never get a new phone. Bought a desire and got it activated to see if i liked it. Needless to say. i sold the tour

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3, iPhone 5
    Carriers
    U.S. Cellular & VZW
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cadrifter View Post
    This could mean a move away from an expensive "Brick and Mortar" dealer system and towards a distribution system of on line sales and retailers like walgreens, traget, vons, etc.

This helps to put them on a footing with what all the other major carriers are doing.

They won't abandon the dealer system yet but they will make their distribution foot print much larger.
    What makes the dealer system so expensive?

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Phone
    Blackberry Torch 9850
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MooreC1 View Post
    So this won't allow for changing devices on a whim? Hmm... bummer.
    The convenience in this case isn't for the customers for the most part, its for the agents and associates.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    What makes the dealer system so expensive?
    If it is a company Store then Store Rent? Commissions? Payroll Taxes? Insurance? Power, Heat ... blah blah blah

If it is a dedicated dealer then you need to ensure enough is paid in commissions to maintain all the above. Plus you need to drive foot traffic to that location as opposed to the corner drug store.

There is 1 USCC dealer store in town where I can buy a USCC phone. However I can walk into walgreens and have a choice between netzero, trac, virgin, sprint, tmobile, or AT&T. The rack consists a end cap in the front of the store with plans better than I can by at US Cell. Plus Walgreens is not the only place in town that sells these phone. You can buy them at rite aid, or safeway, or radio shack and now ACE hardware just added some cellphones.

I'm not saying that they will abandon the dealer network but selling either on line or via a retailer like Walgreens is a whole lot cheaper and gives you a much larger distribution footprint.

If i was USCC I would want my phones everywhere just not in an isolated store.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3, iPhone 5
    Carriers
    U.S. Cellular & VZW
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cadrifter View Post
    If it is a company Store then Store Rent? Commissions? Payroll Taxes? Insurance? Power, Heat ... blah blah blah

If it is a dedicated dealer then you need to ensure enough is paid in commissions to maintain all the above. Plus you need to drive foot traffic to that location as opposed to the corner drug store.

There is 1 USCC dealer store in town where I can buy a USCC phone. However I can walk into walgreens and have a choice between netzero, trac, virgin, sprint, tmobile, or AT&T. The rack consists a end cap in the front of the store with plans better than I can by at US Cell. Plus Walgreens is not the only place in town that sells these phone. You can buy them at rite aid, or safeway, or radio shack and now ACE hardware just added some cellphones.

I'm not saying that they will abandon the dealer network but selling either on line or via a retailer like Walgreens is a whole lot cheaper and gives you a much larger distribution footprint.

If i was USCC I would want my phones everywhere just not in an isolated store.
    Understood, I thought you were saying that the dealer network is expensive for US Cellular.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Feedback Score
    The dealer system is VERY expensive for USCC. Having a display rack in Walgreens, or the corner gas station, or on line is much cheaper.

Face it cellphone service is becoming a commodity and it is squeezing margins. USCC will need to adapt or die and part of adapting is modifying its distribution channel.

Dealer networks and Company stores are very expensive have have become very inefficient in todays market place.

Improved revenue will either come from an expanding market place (top line growth) or a shrinking bottom line and frankly the current distribution system is a plump place to start cutting the bottom line. Currently USCC has seen revenue increases from its subscribers by up selling ... but soon that market will become saturated.

Phone
    Blackberry Torch 9850
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I am happy as hell I am a Agent in a CO-OP area, not much USCC can do about the agent stores here.

Carriers
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    mod edit Joy of joys
    Last edited by tearsonurcheek; 05-17-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: inappropriate language

Phones
    Motorola Electrify
    Motorola Electrify
    iPhone 4
    Carriers
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just used this feature and it worked for my backup Desire. I must have lost my phone somewhere at work (I hope) and activated my backup that I just got used on Saturday. It makes it very easy. I have updated phones manually for awhile now and some are a pain in the rear. This is a great feature to have.

Note: I do have SeekDroid, but it could not find it and it went straight to voice mail. Hoping if it dropped that the battery popped out and the screen is OK.

EDIT: Found it safe at my office. Co-worker turned it off for me to save battery. Only took about 2 minutes to get my old one reactivated.
    Last edited by clifftrue; 05-17-2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Additional Info
    Motorola Electrify (Stock..for now)
    HTC Desire rooted with Oxygen ROM
    HTC Touch Pro 2 US Cellular with MightyROM and Android as optional boot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast