Thread: How do you check POP email with the LG800G?

Feedback Score

Question How do you check POP email with the LG800G?

I don't have a clue.
    One video on YouTube the guy has an email icon in the menu.
    What & how can I check a couple of different email accounts with this phone?
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Anyone know?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    Anyone know?
    No one has ever asked your question here, for any phone

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    I found 2 of my email accounts by starting the browser and punching in their address and bookmarking both.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Since you'd need an actual smartphone and plenty of data to run the type of app that constantly monitors e-mail accounts (automatically, of course), you're probably going to have to find a simple java-based app that can load on this model phone and check it manually at will. I don't know if one exists, but getjar might be a good place to start looking. Otherwise 25jive1's suggestion is the fallback answer.

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I noticed that there are several apps for email at Getjar: (use LG T310 which is similar to our LG800G):

http://www.getjar.com/mobile-all-app...all/?o=popular

I have Hotmail so I have a Hotmail specific app installed and it does work. I haven't tried any other email apps - there are some that evidently support multiple accounts, etc just have to look for them.

Feedback Score
    I was trying to figure out the same thing. I have the LG800 which uses ATT towers, but I want to check my Verizon email from the Tracfone. When I go the the Verizon site using the tracfone browser and log in (just like I would on my computer), it doesn't log me in. Anyone have a clue? Thanks.

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    I do not have an LG800G, but will try and help as I attempted this on my LG420, and took notes!

(Everything I'm referring to below is using an email app, not accessing mail with browser mail.)

One reason why no one ever talks out pop mail with Tracfone/Net10 is of course due to the imposed restrictions, like everything else TF / Net10.

I was able to POP with my LG420G to my own domain, but could not SMTP. As with many Internet providers that port is blocked.

whacker mentioned an app that constantly monitors your accounts for new mail and then PUSHes it to your phone, needs constant Internet connection to do so. If a java app could do this on a TF or NET10....Uh...how many minutes do you have left on your phone?

If one tried to use the cellphones e-mail address (mine was xxxxxxxxxxx@txt.att.net) to do POP and SMTP, that would not work as we don't have server parameters to plug into an app.

Now in trying to use your own domain, or @verizon. net....

I did find a few java mobile email client apps (that I tired on my 420). They may work on the LG800G to some extent, or better success than I had on my 420. Some one will just have to try it on their 800. Where I found these apps I don't recall. Do a search for their titles

Here's my old notes:

mail4me
    works on the lg420g (Looks like thins one can do plain text POP mail but not SMTP)

USING VERSION 1.0 (NOTE 1.3 GIVES JAVA ERROR)

Description:
    Does POP and IMAP, send and receive mail

Apparently you can only put in/use one e-mail account. Another program called 'email viewer' allowed multiple accounts and do more stuff but the e-mail client can't seem to connect to the mail box. (sounds confusing but that's my old notes. Take it for what it is worth)

-Once launched and minutes deducted the screen will go blank except for the minutes indicator and a moment later you will be shown a list of e-mail subjects.

- The only things it could display was plain text and .PNG files. I tried jpg, bmp (wonder why that did not work), and an animated gif. If it encounters styled text (bold, fonts, italics, etc.) it will tell you that it can't view the message.

-When you delete the mail in the phone it DOES delete it from the server as well.

-Pop mail works as I have tried it. SMTP did not work, the program stopped responding...Tracfone like other servers are not about to let SMTP pass through it, so no SMTP.

-if your (POP) mail server uses any unusual settings like a strange port number, you are out of luck as there is no option. There is in 'email viewer' which does not work.

================================
    Next app

MMail (Xtend mail) (V2.2.4 works) (V2.2.3 did not work)

Has In, drafts, sent, address book.

Copyright 2004. Pop3 only , no IMAP. SMPT server name, but no place to put user/pass and no port numbers for SMTP. So would only work if your params are normal (no strange port numbers). Received mail okay.

AND IT SENT A TEXT MAIL OKAY AS (my personal domain address omitted but will say its K_L-M@mydomain.com) (but when I got the 420 message screen it says from (K-L-M@mydomain.com) but the 'reply to' field was 1410000002. So if some some hit 'reply' on the other end, they would not be able to e-mail me back. They would have to manually enter my correct e-mail address, which folks are often lazy to do.

Whole layout confusing and clumsy, hard to use at first, but then figured it out. Not as good as mujmail layout wise. How the outgoing e-mail actually got sent where no other program was able to send....It sends your mail to their (mmail) server, then it passes it on for you. It's a relay and how everyone gets around this very problem that dogs java dumbphones.

(apparently I'm restating the above for some reason) xtend mmail 2.24 worked with sending mail where no other program did. And yet it did not have a place to set up SMPT password and user name....Now I know why..It uses it's own servers to get your mail with the password you provided, then sends you the mail. Here is what the headers look like after I sent mail which was relayed through their server:

From K-L-M@mydomain.com Thu, 16 Sep 2010 06:55:39 +0200 (CEST)
    To: <someone@yourdomain.com>
    Return-path: <K-L-M@mydomain.com>
    Envelope-to: someone@yourdomain.com
    Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 21:36:42 -0700
    Received: from static-62-233-162-107.devs.futuro.pl ([62.233.162.107]:1817 helo=xtend-mmail)
    by server51.mydns.com with esmtp (Exim 4.67)
    (envelope-from <K-L-M@mydomain.com>)
    id 1Ow6D7-00005Q-Os
    for someone@yourdomain.com; Wed, 15 Sep 2010 21:36:42 -0700
    Message-ID: <29333888.1284612939140.JavaMail.SYSTEM@xtend-mmail>
    Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 06:55:39 +0200 (CEST)
    X-Mailer: mMail
    X-Spam-Score: 0.0 (/)
    Delivery-Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 00:39:06
    Subject: 420
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    X-Poco-UID: 01574663
    X-Poco-Status: U
    X-Account: someone@yourdomain.com

I successfully sent and received mail on my LG420 with this app!

*** Only problem is, you need to pay (register) them, and they have all your password info! And there is a time limit on the license! Server in Poland?

==========================

Next e-mail app...

mujMail-dev (v1.08.08)

http://mujmail.xf.cz/index.php
    Version under development. Does not work. java.lang.security. exception operation never permitted, blah blah blah...(It's wanting a java permission to do something and it has run into the famous Tracfone / Net10 'lock down / lockout ' of usability!

mujMail (v1.07.02 stable)
    =======
    Nice! Retreieves e-mail subject and then scrolls the info horiziontally at a speed that is fast and easy to read. You can view header details, forward, quote, reply, reply all, parse the e-mail addresses form the message and save them to the address book. Can have multiple e-mail accounts. And you can select the account you want to send from after you type your message. I could do pop mail just fine, does IMAP too but did not try that) but I can't SMTP as it's a phone/ Tracfone issue.

Stable version 1.07. and it works on lg420g!

If it works here is the manual: http://mujmail.xf.cz/index.php?a=4

Note, the DEV version does not work. The one with -dev is the one under development and may not be totally stable.

=================
    Other java email apps I tried on the LG420G, maybe they will work on the 800? Who knows...

Emailviewer (v2.3)
    by Reqwireless Inc. - Does not work upon connect.

Redwing (V2)
    Does not connect to to the internet on the LG420G. Simple. Can have multiple accounts Never saw any in, out, etc boxes.

MIDSMTP-0.3.0
    Did not install, missing component error.

PICOMAIL-1.8
    picomail.com
    e-mail clinet and web browser too. It installed on my LG900G but phone not activated yet sos I did not try it further. Looks nice and simple.

FLURRY (V01.02.16)
    flurry.com
    http://www.flurry.com Longest internet setup, burns minutes, then connect failed message.

FLURRY (mail plus) (V02.00.03)
    e-mail and RSS feeds. http://www.flurry.com Have to signup first. I did not go any further.

WAPALTA (v4.99.10) (another pay mail)
    Created-By: 1.2.0_00 (GeneratumStudio)
    Error on LG420G instal. permission javax.wireless.messaging.sms.send not available on this device. (Another Tracfone lockdown)

=============================

End notes as-is. Again, these notes were taken like 8 months ago, and I did no further research after coming to am much greater understanding of Tracfone / Net10 imposed limitations. This is all I know.

Maybe since then some one else has come up with a java mobile email relay service app (some search key words there?) that works wonders and is totally free?

Hope something here helps..

Just a guess as to why accessing Verizon (by browser mail?) might not work is that the site requires scripts the phone can't handle or the user agent is not recognizable to to Verizon?

K-L-M - Eternal tech support[/i]
    "I spend more time tech-supporting Tracfones than actually using them!"
    Last edited by K-L-M; 05-19-2011 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Sorry for 100th edit, but finding more notes to add

Feedback Score
    I tried MujMail version 1.07.02 on my Lg800G. I received the following screen when I tried to receive email from Verizon:

java.lang.Security Exception: Application not authorized to access the restricted API/"username"@verizon.net. "Username" is replaced with my user name.

Not sure if it's the APP, me, Tracfone or Verizon.

Any Suggestions?

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Not sure what API the app is accessing, but TF appears to have it disabled.

Is the app signed? That may help, but probably not.

That the same sort of problem QRcode apps have (can't access either the filesystem or the camera).