Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: How To With The LG 500G

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Tracphone is in the business of selling you minutes and phones that are configured to use them. So, it becomes no surprise after using different ones over the last five years to get phones that don't tell you who or what the message is before you can read it.

Tracphones are like that, for inexpensive service, you jump through hoops and avoid pitfalls.

Bobbylee's post on setting up Automatic Caller Rejection can help - create a group name in the contact listings and shuffle all those wrong numbers, spammers, etc to that group. Then enable Auto Call rejection of the whole lot of them. That's another Tracphone quirk, they didn't give you a menu choice to select as an option to go there directly. Again, it's all about selling you minutes and consuming them, they won't directly help you keep from doing that at their expense.

IF - if - you don't use voicemail (something that really uses up Tracphone minutes,) don't enable it, and the calls and texts that get rejected go to the recorded message saying exactly that - no voicemail is set up. Most people get the point fast without getting into a flame war over an open line because they can't understand they manually dialed the wrong number. For some reason, ALL phone etiquette seems to gone into a handbasket, and callers automatically assume YOU are wrong for answering someone ELSE's number. They can't possibly have made a mistake, not in these self esteem supported times. They are always right, why can't you be nice?

Need an example of that - look up the thread, someone banned TWICE for a completely self centered viewpoint. Imagine THAT dialing you as a wrong number and trying to get away from them. Here, we need a moderator, on YOUR phone, using up minutes, not happening. Call me once, ok, call me twice, shame on me not putting you on the Reject List.

Thanks for posting that, Bobbylee, we will both save minutes with it. It's all about using them when WE want, not Tracphone exploiting our human nature against us.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirod View Post
    IF - if - you don't use voicemail (something that really uses up Tracphone minutes,) don't enable it, and the calls and texts that get rejected go to the recorded message saying exactly that - no voicemail is set up.
    I use voice mail on my TF, but rarely do I access it from the TF.
    I call from other, less expensive phones. I have CallerID and/or the call log to tell me who called so I know if it might be important enough to check form the TF.

For some reason, ALL phone etiquette seems to gone into a handbasket, and callers automatically assume YOU are wrong for answering someone ELSE's number. They can't possibly have made a mistake, not in these self esteem supported times. They are always right, why can't you be nice?
    Like so many other areas. Etiquette, consideration, l and politeness are all but gone.
    Like the fool in the check out line that keeps talking on the phone the whole time even while dealing with the cashier, and then walks out of the store still talking.

Feedback Score

A tiny bit of help on previewing text messages

Quote Originally Posted by tinad View Post
    My daughter recieved the tracfone lg500g a few days ago from grandpa because she's been sick, any way,
    Can someone tell me how to change the options for recieving text messages, it only says there is a text, not who it is from. There has to be a way to change the settings to show who is sending the message, or it would be a waste of minutes and time. I appreciate the help and your knowledge. Thank you.
    I have discovered that I can see the first two characters of who's sending me a text. If you list the texts, you'll see two letters. That's enough for me to determine a particularly vexing sender that I can't seem to block (anyone know how to block texters, not numbers? I don't know the number of the texter - it's an alert service for Washington, D.C....) ... Anyway, I can tell it's the alert service because the text shows "al" ... so I delete it sight-unseen. Don't know if that helps anyone else but me ... -- but thought I'd contribute the info.

ETA: On the accidental browsing issue: The first thing I did when I got the phone four days ago was cut a piece of Scotch tape and put it over the browser button. I didn't worry about bubbles or a bit peeling off - I wanted it to be a bit messy - and so far, I have not accidentally hit the browser button. I also lock the keyboard. So far, so good.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Kren Ster,
    If it is an alert system for DC then the person who had the number before you probably signed up for it. My point is that it is probably a legitimate company which follows established practices and if you reply to the text with just the word STOP it will probably stop sending you alerts after it sends you one more message saying the alerts will be stopped until restarted. Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    Thx - I'm the one who signed up for it (I've had this TF number since '05). Like an idiot, I never checked into how to turn it off once I no longer needed it. I will try texting STOP.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Or look for information at the end of the message.

My WeatherChannel alerts all have a link at the bottom to the website where I can configure the alerts.

Feedback Score
    anyone know where the ( Jad ) and ( jar ) files are in this forum... I think they have something to do with transfering files from PC to Phone using a miniUSB cable ( camera cable ).

Question: I'm trying to format the sim card and it asks for a code... ( 4 ) four digit I think first to start the format... any way around it? Thanks.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RGOMEY View Post
    anyone know where the ( Jad ) and ( jar ) files are in this forum... I think they have something to do with transfering files from PC to Phone using a miniUSB cable ( camera cable ).

Question: I'm trying to format the sim card and it asks for a code... ( 4 ) four digit I think first to start the format... any way around it? Thanks.
    Just a guess, should not hurt to try; 0000 or 1234 or last four digits of your phone number

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RGOMEY View Post

Are you using a miniUSB cable or a microUSB cable?

Are you trying to format a sim card or microSD card?

Carriers
    Tracfone, Net10
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    How to make the Music player play an entire album straight through instead of stopping after each song

Go to My Folder > Music > Albums
    Select an album
    Start playing a song
    Select Options
    Go to Repeat, select "ALL"
    Go BACK to the list of songs in the album
    Choose Options > Mark > Mark ALL, then
    Choose Option > PLAY
    Sit back and enjoy your music ....

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic55 View Post
    Go BACK to the list of songs in the album
    Choose Options > Mark > Mark ALL, then
    Choose Option > PLAY
    Not required. Just set the repeat mode correctly after starting the song you want in the album.
    Turn shuffle on or off as desired.

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I use voice mail on my TF, but rarely do I access it from the TF.
    I call from other, less expensive phones. I have CallerID and/or the call log to tell me who called so I know if it might be important enough to check form the TF.

Like so many other areas. Etiquette, consideration, l and politeness are all but gone.
    Like the fool in the check out line that keeps talking on the phone the whole time even while dealing with the cashier, and then walks out of the store still talking.
    My complaint about voice mail these days is that so few don't have text capability - so, just send text at .3 a unit, already. Voice? One unit to connect minimum, and more to listen, erase, etc. Plus - there's really an almost universal NO PHONE USE EVER policy when clocked in at many, many jobs. I can view a text more rapidly than stand around listening to voice mail and rejecting messages.

If it is a real emergency, dial the store number and get real people to get me - "It's an emergency!" cuts right thru all the red tape, doesn't it? Same as calling in sick, you don't text it or go to voicemail. All tho some think they can, the cowards.

As for phone etiquette, if the shopper is next in line and still yakking, what can the retailer do? Nothing, we just muddle through. Most of the time it's some personal call or a supervisor micromanaging his employee, which should tell you how much I enjoy having a No Calls policy or a company tether. That phone is really an example of a workplace attitude that supervisors are not to trust or empower their employees to do anything right, they need constant direction as if they were little children incapable of making their own decisions. And, we all know, you get what you pay for - how you treat your employees is exactly what they will do.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirod View Post
    My complaint about voice mail these days is that so few don't have text capability - so, just send text at .3 a unit, already.
    Most of the voicmails I get are from businesses/people that aren't using a cell phone.

I cannot send a text from the phone on my desk or at home.
    There's no general gatway to send via email. You have to know the provider and find the right address. Different address for SMS vs MMS too.

Often I don't know if the number I'm calling is a cell or not.
    My mother can recieve texts but outgoing messages are blocked.
    My son's boss doesn't send texts either, as he isn't comfortable with the keypad.

Carriers
    Verizon evil Wireless
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

Question better voicemail and other provocative questions

These questions apply primarily to the LG500G

(1)
    Can I activate "No Answer/Busy" forwarding to a TracFone? (to use third party voicemail)

(2)
    can I assign unique ringtones to calling numbers?

(3)
    can I assign unique sounds to SMS senders that are different from phone ringers?
    (compensate for lack of text preview that was available on the LG420G)

(4)
    is there a java JABBER application available for this phone?
    (I much prefer jabber (XMPP) to legacy SMS)

(5)
    are there any codes to access the "programming menu" (mototola expression) on this phone?

(5b)
    are there multiple CODECs on this phone like on motorola phones?

(6)
    wifi = false ?

Is wifi only available on LG800/LG900?

(7)
    Is there are option to constrain the browser to use only wifi? If no LG500 wifi, then is this an option for LG800/LG900?

(8)
    Is there an HTTP proxy setting? Could be set to existentially challenged URL to prevent data transfer mwahaha

(9)
    If I cancel voicemail will the phone ring "forever"? Assume powered, attached to a tower, and unanswered.

(9b)
    will it ring at least four minutes?
    (think wake up service. sure alarms are nice, but I want it to ring long time)

Last edited by BlackHoler; 07-16-2011 at 02:32 AM. Reason: perfectionism or possibly screaming cake.. are you reading my editing reasons? If yes buy "fides et ratio" on amazon

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Can you be more specific about the phone your interested, answers are more or less phone specific.
    NO Tracfone or Net10 has WiFi. Only a few with Straight Talk.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast