Thread: Explain "SIM card rejected."

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Explain "SIM card rejected."

I'm that guy, a long term TF user trying to port a number to a new phone. It's a LG500G, GSM, and yes, I'm moving from a GSM to a GSM. That takes CS support in Tracphoneland.

I was sent a second SIM card to get this phone activated and got the same message as before, "SIM card rejected." Given TF "chaingangs" the SIM to the phone to prevent reselling, I'd like to hear from experienced users what they know is happening.

From what I have read and researched so far, the program parameters look to see that the phone is a TF item, it's a TF SIM, and that a TF contract carrier is locally available to ping. If any one item is a no-go, no service - although there are plenty of seemingly random examples of swapped SIM's working on TF in non-TF phones.

I'm not looking for comments to resolve this specific problem, plenty of options to pursue. The point is to examine and reveal some of the specifics why a TF phone with TF supplied SIM for that phone still doesn't boot up.

I highlighted that because that's all the tech info this discussion needs, not how to fix the problem. Discussing "SIM card rejected" is about what the phone programming is looking for on the SIM to make a decision to work.

Informed users are encourage to speculate - programmers will get our complete attention.

Feedback Score
    You will get "SIM card rejected" when the sim has an IMEI on it that doesn't match the IMEI of the phone. It used to be that Tracfone sent blank sims when you asked for a replacement. Now they seem to be sending sims with the IMEI already on it so that the sim can't be sold, etc. Perhaps CS ordered a sim with the old phone's number on it instead of the new phone's number. I would call the better CS 1-800-876-5753 and see what gives.

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Thanks - I provided them with the IMEI included, and that was the 2d SIM that didn't work, too. The clamshell pack they sent was already opened and the SIM inserted when I got it.

Not having purchased one direct before, I don't know if that is normal. Store clamshells are sealed. SIM's come still on the card attached, just the way the second one came.

Didn't mean to conceal the open clamshell, just came to me.

As an aside, the TF warranty claims if they can't fix it over the phone, they will give you an RMA# (and your money back in 30-60 days.) They can't fix a "SIM card rejected," that's a fatal error in their system. It won't turn on. Just keep repeating it and ask for the RMA #.

Those refurbs come from somewhere - sometimes the phone is simply screwed up.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    It is a good idea anytime you activate/re-activate to varify both the IMEI and SIM # between you and the CSR so there is a definate match. If they don`t match the SIM is ruined in the activation attempt.

Feedback Score
    They have never sent me an open clamshell. Either the phone was brand new in an intact clamshell or else it was a refurb in a white box. You can see the white boxes in ebay pictures. You can't just remove a sim from a brand new phone and replace it. The brand new phones are already associated in the system with the included sim. The sim is already in the phone nowadays (It used to be just a whole one in the package and unassociated). You'll notice that the red card has the numbers together. So any other sim you put in there will result in sim rejected until the association is removed in favor of the new sim. You need to call the escalation number and get the old sims removed and the new one associated. An open clamshell is not normal and besides somebody didn't do the sim thing properly. Regular CS can't figure out or do this, it is beyond them, you have to call the other number.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirod View Post
    The clamshell pack they sent was already opened and the SIM inserted when I got it.
    My phone also came in a clamshell pack with the SIM inserted in it, but I was able to transfer phone numbers from my old GSM phone to my new LG500G in a matter of minutes.

I thought it was illegal for companies to sell refurbished items without letting the costumers know about it? I know that Tracfone doesn't have any refurbished LG500G for sale yet, atleast in all the zip codes I've tried.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    What possible reason did they have to open the clamshell? Did they change the SIM from AT&T to T-mobile or visa-versa?

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I'm not claiming they changed anything, just that it was already opened before I got it. It had a T6 SIM in it, and they shipped another T6 SIM which also was rejected. So much for CS.

I purchased another phone off the peghook from Radio Shack, and it booted up and activated under a new number with very little problem within minutes. It has a C6 SIM, and I checked, the old LG I previously used for the last 16 months did also. It came from a local Walmart.

I suspect the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Feedback Score
    There's your answer. That phone cannot use T-sims. The problem is that regular CS cannot override what happens when they plug in your zip code. If their system says your zip gets T, you will get a T. You have to either give a different zip or else call the better CS. If you want to keep the phone you ordered, that is.