Thread: Samsung galaxy s 4g on Straight Talk

Feedback Score

Samsung galaxy s 4g on Straight Talk

I have got a problem with this phone. i have everyting working. Internet, MMS, texting,+......... all of that. But im in a 3g coverage area and it only gets edge. Is there a fix for this

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienx14 View Post
    I have got a problem with this phone. i have everyting working. Internet, MMS, texting,+......... all of that. But im in a 3g coverage area and it only gets edge. Is there a fix for this
    I believe the problem is that you are using a T-Mobile branded SGS4G? if you are using the SIM from a E71, they run off the AT&T network T-Mobile uses different bands than AT&T.

Feedback Score
    I am using the sim out of the e71. I'have also unlocked the phone

Feedback Score
    Was the phone on t-mobile or ATT before Straight Talk?

Feedback Score
    the samsung galaxy s 4g is on tmobile

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5
    iPad WiFi + Cellular (3rd Gen)
    FreedomPop Photon
    Carriers
    Verizon (iPhone/iPad LTE)
    FreedomPop (Clear MVNO)
    Feedback Score
    You're more than likely gonna see EDGE-only with that phone. The 'unlocked' ST SIMs typically use at&t towers for coverage and fallback to T-Mobile (or rural carriers) when away from at&t coverage. Also, T-Mobile has no 3G roaming agreement with at&t, so even if you're on T-Mobile towers you're likely gonna be stuck with 2G/GSM/EDGE while using the 'unlocked' ST SIMs.

The Vibrant, predecessor to this phone, worked on at&t 3G w/ 1900 MHz band when unlocked but 1900 has limited coverage (at&t typically runs 3G on 850 MHz). There was unconfirmed reports that this phone also had 3G capabilites on 1900, but considering you're not seeing 3G I wonder if the reports were false w.r.t. the Galaxy S 4G (or that they might still be true but you're in an area that has no at&t 3G on 1900 MHz).

Might be worth selling that phone and picking up a Captivate (assuming you want a Galaxy S brand phone) or something similar that was marketed with at&t 3G bands. There's places selling the Nexus S for Telus/Rogers/Fido unlocked (they use at&t bands) that would work too.

Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would use that phone on Simple Mobile. You are crippling an otherwise very fast phone with a ST sim in it. With SM you will get T-Mobile's 4G speed if you're in a 4G footprint with that phone. With a mytouch 4G I get 10-16 mbps download speed with a SM sim card in it. I have an Atrix with a ST sim in it, and I don't get near the speed on AT&T's supposedly 4G network (2-6 mbps) as I get with the SM mytouch 4G (10-16 mbps). BIG difference.
    PLEASE, don't PM me with questions that could and should be answered in the open forum. Then everyone can benefit from the answer, and you will get more than "one" opinion... Thanks.

Feedback Score
    ok thanks for the information guys

Feedback Score
    Would debranding the phone fix the problem

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The phone does not have the frequency bands for AT&T 3G service. Nothing can change that.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    ok i just was seein

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The phone does not have the frequency bands for AT&T 3G service. Nothing can change that.
    The phone does have the 1900mhz band I know it cuz I've used it for a week before selling it. If you only get edge then your area does not have the 850mhz band.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Apparently there are two versions of the phone. The T959V has 1700 MHz and 2100 MHZ 3G bands. The T959P has 850 MHz and 1900 MHz 3G bands. http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3136

Based upon the behavior described by the Original Poster, he has the T959V model since the T959P model has both of the 3G bands used by AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Actually i got 3g signal. I was in douglasville GA earlier today. it was in mixed signal mode and got it.