Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Lost phone

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    22
    Feedback Score
    0

    Lost phone

    2 days ago, I unfortunately lost my phone. I called Wind and the man said I could buy another SIM card and he'll transfer the services over, but I had to do something within 7 days. I bought my SIM card today along with my new phone, but im still pondering if I should call back just to make sure I have everything set and ready to go.

    So the point of this thread is, I can't remember what he said I needed to do within seven days, anyone have an idea?

    P.S I asked the lady at the store if she activated my new phone, and she said yes.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,534
    Feedback Score
    0
    So what is that you are asking, if the lady at the store activated the phone, then whats seems to be the problem.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,293
    Feedback Score
    0
    First of all. I wouldn't disable service. Usually someone finds it and returns it. But if they don't, let them use it, because you will be able to track them down by the calls they make. Check the usage details in a couple of days, and then give your phone a call. And if they are smart enough to not answer, then start calling the people they called (usually family and friends), and politely ask for the phone back, and if need be, threaten to take the call evidence to the police. But like I said, it usually never comes to that. You may get a free charger (cause they need to buy one of those) out of this and get your money back for the sim card and phone.
    But if you already cancelled, you cannot do this. I posted, as hopefully this strategy will help someone that has the same thing happen, and remembers this thread.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,548
    Phones
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy Note 2
    Nexus One
    Carriers
    1-800-bloodbath-mobility
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by beachlover333 View Post
    First of all. I wouldn't disable service. Usually someone finds it and returns it. But if they don't, let them use it, because you will be able to track them down by the calls they make. Check the usage details in a couple of days, and then give your phone a call. And if they are smart enough to not answer, then start calling the people they called (usually family and friends), and politely ask for the phone back, and if need be, threaten to take the call evidence to the police. But like I said, it usually never comes to that. You may get a free charger (cause they need to buy one of those) out of this and get your money back for the sim card and phone.
    But if you already cancelled, you cannot do this. I posted, as hopefully this strategy will help someone that has the same thing happen, and remembers this thread.

    What if they are a little bit smarter and change the SIM?? Also, what if they use your sim to threaten / harass / blackmail someone or set off a bomb somewhere?? (you will be blamed for this, so stolen phones are a goldmine for crooks). Dont you ever read the news? If your phone is stolen = REPORT TO POLICE IMMEDIATELY and have the SIM blocked. This makes you safe in case of a misuse. Also, keep the FIR with you.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,293
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    What if they are a little bit smarter and change the SIM??
    of course, if they do that, you can't trace anything. But dishonest people usually aren't the brightest. And I think waiting a day or two is not a risk. But just giving up on the phone seems foolish to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    Also, what if they use your sim to threaten / harass / blackmail someone or set off a bomb somewhere?? (you will be blamed for this, so stolen phones are a goldmine for crooks). Dont you ever read the news? If your phone is stolen = REPORT TO POLICE IMMEDIATELY and have the SIM blocked. This makes you safe in case of a misuse. Also, keep the FIR with you.
    People sell working sims and phones on craigslist and kijiji everyday....should they be worrying about your blackmail/ bomb scenario?

    Tell you what, if I ever lose my phone and somehow it's only found by either a blackmailer or a terrorist and used within those few days, I will bow down to you from, I guess, my jail cell.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,746
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    lost phone

    if your new phone and new sim are activated to your old number you have nothing to worry about. case closed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    807
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you had the reps at the store change the sim on your account you have nothing to worry about. If you had them activate a new line for you that's a different story. If its a prepaid line that you had before it isn't a big worry since when it runs out they can't do anything with it, unless you had a bunch of money or you liked the number etc.. If its post paid then I would definitely either have the line cancelled or buy a sim and have them change the sim on your account. You don't need to call care to have that done, you just need to go into a Wind Corporate store.
    Just loving it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,127
    Phones
    GNex, Galaxy S, Nokia 5230 and babysitting a MC950D & an iphone4 16gig -- That thing has got to go!
    Nexus One; TyTn; BJII; 6620; T610; M55UnLkd;
    M55UnLkd; 3390; 6190; 7190; 8290UnLkd; T720; Moto V60gUnLkd; R520 The last great Ericsson!
    Carrier
    Wind & Fido-Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sorry to hear about the lost phone. It's happened once or twice to me.
    Never got it back the first time, got it back the second time.
    It always sucks when you don't.
    FIDO Power User:
    Unlimited Data Line Only

    Ex-Wind, Now Mobilicity Data & Phone

    Surfing the Mobile net with wild abandon.

    From Toronto? Want to meet new friends? Then come out, don't be shy! it is not spam I run the group myself, now with 1550+ people! Check here!
    Visit my blog!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 03:23 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 03:23 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-14-2009, 10:43 AM
  4. Lost phone, moving number to new phone
    By jake14mw in forum Page Plus Cellular
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 07:49 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-23-2009, 01:24 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks