Thread: Should I choose Verizon in Central Kentucky/Bowling Green Area?

Feedback Score

Question Should I choose Verizon in Central Kentucky/Bowling Green Area?

I've read posts that say Verizon works pretty well in Bowling Green via the Bluegrass network and they don't really care about how much you roam, but I wanted some advice/confirmation. I have 3 lines for employees for business use and while we travel some the majority of calls/data will be in central Kentucky. Since Bluegrass will be building out the 4g network in this area using Verizon spectrum, I'm wondering if it's time to just get Verizon plans. (Bluegrass doesn't sell 4G phones yet and is very limiting on "out of area" limits which is why I switched to Sprint a couple of years ago). AT & T is horrendous in this area as well and Sprint has been getting consistently worse every month.

I understand I can't port my numbers over to Verizon, but could probably drive to a Verizon area (Nashville) to purchase/activate the lines. I guess I'm looking for downsides other than the obvious switching numbers and having to drive an hour away if I needed something right away.

Is anybody else doing this? Is it possible with a family business plan I'd get flagged if we had all the lines being used mainly in the Bluegrass coverage area?

Thanks,

Todd

P.S. With our lack of good cell providers, it's almost enough to make you want to move.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have some friends in that area with Verizon. They roam off of Bluegrass Cellular but have no problems at all, and they pick up off of Bluegrass 3G. Bluegrass has a pretty solid network in KY also. Also, I can see Verizon taking over Bluegrass in the future. They owe Verizon a bunch of money from what I hear. One friend has had Verizon for 3 years and uses on average 3-4GB a month in data and Verizon hasn't said a pep. Then, 4 more friends got iPhones on launch day. They drove to Louisville I think to get them. There is a store in Madison, TN tho. You can get a number with the same area code, 42301 zip code, also. PM me for any questions you may have!
    v Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).

Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in Birmingham, AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).^

Speed Test with DSL internet with AT&T(Bellsouth). Horrible.

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9650
    Motorola Q9 Global (retired after three years)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude View Post
    I have some friends in that area with Verizon. They roam off of Bluegrass Cellular but have no problems at all, and they pick up off of Bluegrass 3G. Bluegrass has a pretty solid network in KY also. Also, I can see Verizon taking over Bluegrass in the future. They owe Verizon a bunch of money from what I hear. One friend has had Verizon for 3 years and uses on average 3-4GB a month in data and Verizon hasn't said a pep. Then, 4 more friends got iPhones on launch day. They drove to Louisville I think to get them. There is a store in Madison, TN tho. You can get a number with the same area code, 42301 zip code, also. PM me for any questions you may have!
    I can see Verizon picking them up to especially If they don't have native coverage in the area.
    1,000 posts 2:52 p.m March 11th, 2007
    2,000 posts 8:24 a.m February 24th, 2008

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy Nexus
    Motorola Droid 2
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Welcome to Kentucky! I live in Louisville, but went to Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green for a year. Here is the deal.

Bluegrass is a SOLID network. This is the only network people use in central Kentucky. AT&T is utterly TERRIBLE outside of Bowling Green. While in Bowling Green (with my Verizon phone), speeds were around 1 meg per second. As CellKrazeDude said, there are no roaming limits on VZW.

Outside of BG, Bluegrass is all you have. AT&T is nonexistant around Barren River Lake, yet Bluegrass has a strong 3G signal.

Verizon's network is the strongest network by far in Kentucky. No questions asked. Bluegrass lives up to Verizon's standards too. I drop no calls from Elizabethtown to Bowling Green. YOU will drop calls when entering or leaving Bluegrass's network. Once you are on the other side, its smooth sailing.

By the way, I-65 is 100% covered in Bluegrass 3G. The Verizon map is wrong.

Verizon may not pick up Bluegrass since Bluegrass did an incredible job at deploying the network. Seriously, you will never know you aren't on Verizon, save for the slightly slower 3G speeds.

I highly recommend you try Verizon out on Bluegrass's network in central KY. Seriously, it's your only stable option. I drive these roads, and I rarely say any network is built out as well as Verizon's is, but Bluegrass nailed it. Lemme know if you have any more questions.

EDIT: To clarify. You can take all the Verizon phones you want and go to Bowling Green forever. Verizon has absolutely zero issues with roaming. They built their agreements with carriers this way for a reason. Go for it.
    I'm just a twenty-something year old college graduate speaking geek on HoFo!

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    x2. Have done plenty of roaming there as well and no complaints. Just a call drop going in or out of roaming, no issues otherwise. Even hitting speeds of 1mbps while driving at 65mph+
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone for the great information. It pretty much confirms what I was thinking. Verizon is probably the best overall choice today (and likely in the future) for someone based in Bowling Green even though they don't have stores/operate here. (As crazy as that sounds) I guess I'll make a quick trip to Nashville later this week. Maybe they'll still have some Droid Charges in stock.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Keep us updated on how everything goes. Remember to give them that Owensboro zip code and you will have the same area code as you do in Bowling Green.

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    confirmed on no roaming limits. I haven't heard from them recently, but there were a few ppl here on hofo who live in Alaska (where VZW has no service state-wide), so they roam 100% of the time unless they visit the lower 48. No problems. Furthermore, they are one of the very few carriers (only national one) with no 40%, 50%, etc. roaming limit in the fine print (so there's not even fine print they may spring on you later.)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using HowardForums

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Echo all of the above. I'm also out of Louisville and Bluegrass' 3G network seems top notch while I am in Campbellsville a couple of times a year. As others said, you will drop your Internet streams or phone calls as you go in/out of roaming, but other than that blip you should be good to go.

Regarding Verizon buying Bluegrass - I don't see them doing that soon. If they were interested in doing it, they wouldn't have recently inked rural roaming agreements on the new LTE spectrum which Bluegrass will deploy in the near future.

--Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1
    Watch me on YouTube: AlexKidd4Fun