Thread: LG800G Signal Bar always has an E instead of the tower.

Feedback Score

Question LG800G Signal Bar always has an E instead of the tower.

On my LG800G where the signal strength meter is there is always an E there instead of the tower.
    Do I have some settings off in this phone or something?
    I live out in the woods and only get 1-2 bars at home but today I was with my wife who has the iPhone 4 on AT&T and while in a big city her phone shows 3G service while the LG800G which is also on AT&T only has that E symbol there while displaying full bars.

What could be my problem besides being a moron with a Tracfone?
    LOL !

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    On my LG800G where the signal strength meter is there is always an E there instead of the tower.
    Do I have some settings off in this phone or something?
    I live out in the woods and only get 1-2 bars at home but today I was with my wife who has the iPhone 4 on AT&T and while in a big city her phone shows 3G service while the LG800G which is also on AT&T only has that E symbol there while displaying full bars.

What could be my problem besides being a moron with a Tracfone?
    LOL !
    That is the icon for Edge speed. The LG800G is not capable of 3G speed

Feedback Score
    On the other Tracfones I've had they always showed the Tower symbol before the bars.
    What speed is the Tower?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    What could be my problem besides being a moron with a Tracfone? LOL !
    Having a wife with an iPhone while you are stuck with a Tracfone?

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    It does not alway show an "E". It shows a tower when in 1X territory.

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    LOL I have same situation! I just spoil my wife and want her to have an iPhone (AT&T) - so that's what she has. I don't talk enough on a cell phone to justify a paid plan - so I prefer to use a prepaid plan. For the moment I like Tracfone, and I really like the LG800G (that is on AT&T). So far, mine always has shown the "E" at the top left instead of the tower when it achieves a signal after turning on the phone. I have never had less than 3 bars of signal with my phone - same signal strength as my trusty w376g that was also on AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    Having a wife with an iPhone while you are stuck with a Tracfone?
    I actually have the iPhone 4 also but I closed mine down as I was sick of paying close to $100. every month for something that I seldom use. AT&T between her phone, home phone and internet services cost me $200-300 every month. I like the cheap old Tracfone that I only use once in a while.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 25jive1 View Post
    It does not alway show an "E". It shows a tower when in 1X territory.
    The tower is a worst signal then the E ?

Feedback Score
    So does everyone's LG800G that's on AT&T just have the E instead of the tower?

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The "tower" indicates the most basic connection, 2G, mainly referring to packet data transfer speeds. The "E" indicates Edge, an improvement in the packet data transfer speeds that evolved in the early 2000s, kind of a "2.5G" service. This was followed by the development of 3G service.

Some phones (pre the flood of 3G smartphones) are equipped only for 2G use ("support" to use the in-vogue term), like the least expensive Tracphones, even now. Others have Edge capability. Not much really practical about a non-Smart phone having 3G, unless that phone is still around when 2G service eventually comes to and end (and it will). But it's good Trac and Net10 have more phones now that are Edge capable. It helps to get your browsing done faster, which on Trac and Net10 means less expensively. Loading a wap page with Edge is considerably faster than with GPRS (general packet radio service, sort of the data end of 2G).

Just like all of a particular carrier's cell sites might not have 3G, in some places they don't have Edge service either, although I don't know how AT&T measures up in that regard. T-Mobile has a lot of 2G (GPRS)-only coverage areas still. So your phone can have the capability, but the cell site that's serving you must as well. The LG 800g has Edge capability (evidently), but depending on whether you've got AT&T or T-Mobile servicing it (and to what level), the cell site would determine what's happening ultimately.

Hit up a general Wikipedia page about GSM sometime and do some learnin'.
    Last edited by whacker; 05-17-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Carriers
    Verizon
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    The "tower" indicates the most basic connection, 2G, mainly referring to packet data transfer speeds. The "E" indicates Edge, an improvement in the packet data transfer speeds that evolved in the early 2000s, kind of a "2.5G" service. This was followed by the development of 3G service.
    Hit up a general Wikipedia page about GSM sometime and do some learnin'.
    Thanks for the detailed explanation, whacker. This is something I've wondered about ever since I got this phone. It's an old thread, but still a good one.

Feedback Score

Signal Bar Icons

Quote Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
    Thanks for the detailed explanation, whacker. This is something I've wondered about ever since I got this phone. It's an old thread, but still a good one.
    Hi Guys,
    Here's my story:
    I had been using an LG420 Tracfone for a while. I had found it to be very reliable, but when it was time to renew, and the LG800 became available with all its bells and whistles, I switched. I hated the LG800 with its screen lockup, JAVA apps, and slow speed. This time on renewal, I went back to my old reliable LG420. I recently noticed the "E" on the left side of the signal bar icon. Sometimes it changed to a "G", but it usually remained an "E".

The phone did not seem to perform as well as it did originally. Bars and signal level, faded in and out, and calls were frequently being dropped- this in locations where I had previously had no problems.

I called Tracfone and a "Tier One" representative told me that the "E" signified a problem between the cell tower and my phone. :-) I learned from this Forum that the "E" really indicated "Edge Technology".

Going through two higher tiers of Customer Service took me to an adviser who, without explanation, performed a little magic on my phone, and dropped me back to having an antenna symbol to the left of the signal bar icon. The antenna icon is basically an inverted triangle with a line down the middle. The phone seems to be more reliable now.

I presume the LG420 had some trouble with the "advanced" 2g edge service.

Does anyone have a complete list of icons and their meanings associated with the signal bar icon? Please publish.

Thanks

Carrier
    Ting - R+ - Consumer Cellular - US Mobile - Lyca - PPC
    Feedback Score
    Which service were you using before? Did they send you a T-Mobile or an ATT sim when you reactivated it?

Feedback Score
    The antenna/tower icon is what you see on a not-active phone. So the CSR actually deactivated part of your phone, rather than improving it.

When you reactivated your LG420G, you might have received the "other" sim rather than the kind you had before. AT&T vs. T-Mobile or T-Mobile vs. AT&T. Look at the sim number and note the first six digits. Or plug your phone number into whitepages.com.

The phone data settings are optimized to work with one of the sims, so if you use the other one, data performance might be affected.

Of course you have to have decent cell reception in order to make a fair comparison.

The voice/text functions should work fine with either sim as long as there is reception. It's the data that can depend on phone settings.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    As Lisme suggested, look at the first 6 digits of the S/N of the new SIM and the old SIM-if you still have it:
    890126 = T-Mobile service (poor coverage)
    890141 = AT&T service (most every ones first choice)