I bought my Evergreen new in June 2011. From the 1st month plagued with random restarts. Sent to Samsung in Oct 2011 for a reflash - no problem found - behavior continues. Called AT&T - they offered a refurb swap but short warranty so I declined (turns out others are on their 4th phone with same behavior). Tried to use email for customer service - never got any acknowledgment at all.
Starting a few weeks back I started a series of calls to Samsung. Monday, Dec 26 will be my 6th call trying to get escalated to Premer CS. First line CS maintains they have never heard of any problem like this. I have yet to get escalated. I have been told that:
1. Premier tech support is not in - please call back in an hour.
2. Will transfer to Premier tech support - wait 5 minutes and IVR took me back to 1st line CS
3. Premier tech support will call me back in the next 24 hours - that was 1 week ago
4. Will transfer to Premier tech support - waited 20 minutes - gave up and hung up
5. Premier tech support will be open Mon, Dec 26 at 8am CST - please call then
6. coming up...
I have read about those who thought:
1. maybe a metal spur from the SIM holder penetrating battery - not in my case
2. need to resolder battery connection - not willing to try that - later reported as not a solution
3. the one I like best (seems to correlate with my experience) is that in times of low signal strenth, AT&T network moves between 4G and 3G and during this signal 'fade' the Evergreen telephony stack crashes.
I tried to ask AT&T about that - they say it is all Samsung's fault. Despite my differences with AT&T I agree with them - except for over-the-air software updates (which I don't do), carrier cannot make a phone reset.
I am appalled by the quality of Samsung wireless CS. It is particularly galling to have them say that they are not aware of any problem like this when there seems to be adequate evidence to the contrary. Samsung is a big cellphone provider but maybe it is time for consumers to consider alternatives.