Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    LG Optimus 7
    Carrier
    TELUS
    Feedback Score

telus iphone error - voicemail unavailable could not authorize access

I ran into an issue where when I accessed the visual voicemail I would receive an error, "Voicemail unavailable. Could not authorize access".

Some Telus support reps are inclined to advise to flash the device because of a ROM issue. THIS IS FALSE. Also, if the Telus rep disables and re-enables your visual voicemail service at the account level, after power cycling your phone you will LOSE voicemails you have on the phone.

The correct solution was provided by a friend who is a long-time Telus employee in 3 minutes this morning. I'll save from the fairly rude and angry comments he had towards the tech who insisted on advising to flash the device rather than to stop for a second to THINK about the error and what it meant and provide an APPROPRIATE solution.

Here it is:
    Open Settings -> General Settings -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.
    NOTE: You will lose Wifi network passwords that were saved.
    After the reset, call your own cell # and enter your voicemail password.
    Then SEND a message and specify your own number to send to.
    After the message is sent, you will be back at the voicmail main menu and within a moment you will hear "A new message has arrived" at which point you should end the call and power cycle the phone.
    After the power cycle, open the phone app, touch the voicemail icon, and the notification and visual voicemail will work as normal if you have not already received the 'new message waiting' notification.

I wonder if my voicemails are contained in my last backup... if they are, I'll be spared about 2 days of calling around to recollect that information.

I hope this post saves someone else from the idiocracy within with respect to the error message specified in the subject line.

FWIW - My iPhones are Plain, vanilla, unhacked, factory roms - I don't mess with my business devices (I have standby/dedicated development devices for play time & testing)... Currently running 4.3.2 (we are an N-1 ITIL shop).

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    It's not working for me... I still have the "voicemail unavailable" message...

Phones
    S4 / iPad 4
    S4
    Carriers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I had the same problem. Apparently my plan included voice mail as does visual voice mail. The Telus rep had to do something in the computer to cancel one of them out, now it all works great again...

Feedback Score

Telus Voice Mail Error

I hate this error, though I don't really use my voicemail that often but for those who do, the only way to fix this message unfortunately is to set your phone up as new.