Thread: LG Rumor Touch: Transfer data from one to another

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

LG Rumor Touch: Transfer data from one to another

I have an LG Rumor Touch on Virgin Mobile. I was having problems with the touch-screen, so I called VM support, and they sent me a replacement. I received the new phone today (without a battery or anything else), and I have two weeks to send back my current phone.

I would like to know if I could transfer data (contacts, text messages, etc.) from my old phone to the new one. I would, of course, also like to clear all that data off of the old phone before I send it back!

How possible is it to get my data from one phone to another: keeping in mind that I only have one battery, and the touch-screen barely works on the old one?

Feedback Score
    You can do it with bluetooth, been a while since I had my RT so I'm goin by memory, I think if you go into your contacts at the top there's a MORE button then a send contact to, something like that

I don't remember there's no way to save to the sd card?
    As far as the 1 battery, won't the phone power up if its plugged in W/O the battery?
    Worse cimes to worse just start tyoing them in

Feedback Score
    Btw I don't know if you can save your text messages but I think I remember someone asking so try searching it, and to wipe the phone clean I think if you look in tools or settings sorry I don't remember but I believe its a reset or delete button

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RG570 View Post
    You can do it with bluetooth, been a while since I had my RT so I'm goin by memory, I think if you go into your contacts at the top there's a MORE button then a send contact to, something like that

I don't remember there's no way to save to the sd card?
    That was my first thought. There is a "More" button on the contacts, but I can't tap it with the malfunctioning touch screen, and I don't know of a keyboard shortcut for it. I had also thought about getting a micro-SD card and trying that out.

As far as the 1 battery, won't the phone power up if its plugged in W/O the battery?
    I tried it with the new phone when I went home for lunch, and I just got a message that it needs a battery.

Worse cimes to worse just start tyoing them in
    I may have to do that. I could also Bluetooth my contacts to my new phone from the phone I was using before I got my first RT. I don't think I have any vital new contacts that I've added since then.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Btw I don't know if you can save your text messages but I think I remember someone asking so try searching it, and to wipe the phone clean I think if you look in tools or settings sorry I don't remember but I believe its a reset or delete button
    I'll search for that topic. I don't think there are any really important messages on it, so if I can't back them up, I'll live. Or, as you mentioned in your first reply, I can type them somewhere else.

There is a "Reset/Delete" item in the Settings menu, so I will give that a try when I'm done. Hopefully, I can go through that process using only the keyboard.

Feedback Score
    wow ain't that a kick in the azz it gives an error asking for the battery geez

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just tried again, plugging in both phones without the battery, and they do just give a message saying "Battery is required to charge. Powering off." I can't find a way to do any operations on the phone in this state.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The only way to keep text is to send them to your email one by one. The contacts you can use the jcontact app and it will send them to your memory card(vcard format i think). The reset in menu will erase everthing back to like you got it. It may be hard without touch screen tho. The jcontact app. Does not need service to work. You can get jcontact at vmtouch.com in a zip file with jad and jar files in it to install in both phones.
    My mediafire folder with Rumor Touch games and apps.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ri5on32xtffo0

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Update: I activated the new phone, and I just sent back the old one.

Since only one phone could have a battery, and the old one's touch-screen didn't work, I wasn't able to transfer contacts between the two phones. What I did, instead, was found my last TracFone and Bluetoothed the contacts from it (same thing I did to get them on my first RT). Fortunately, I didn't have many contacts to start with, and I didn't add any essential new contacts since I got the RT.

I had started looking through my texts, but it was just taking too long (my girlfriend sends me a lot of texts). Since I don't think I had any really important messages, I just decided to cut my losses and let them all go. I'm pretty sure I didn't have anything else important, such as photos, on that phone, either.

To reset the phone, I was able to go through the process of Settings->Reset/Delete->Reset Phone using only the keyboard. It reset the settings, and I did check the contacts and messages afterwards, and they were cleared out.

I appreciate the tips from everyone who posted.