Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Problems with the Tracfone LG 800g

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The title of this thread is perfect for my issues so I'm not going to start a new one, yet. I'm a trained storm spotter and wanted a phone with a larger screen to view radar. My old phone the LG420 had a very small screen. After finally receiving my LG800 and waiting for my new simcard I was very impressed with the phone. And after trying the browser with the weather.gov mobile site I thought I finally had the perfect phone. The ability to zoom in on the time lapse radar was very impressive. Then I took the phone to a friends house 5 miles West of me to show it off. To my dismay I could not connect to the internet. I got the Check data restrictions 36 message. I also noticed I had 5 bars of signal strength and the phone said it was roaming. I also could not send multi media messages. I called Tracfone and they said this was typical and that if I moved out of my local area I would not be able to use the browser. WHAT???? Now today while attending a program at my son's school we wanted to check the weather. I got out my phone and it said "no service". Yet my wife's old Samsung Slider Tracfone had 3 bars and was able to connect to the internet with ease. Now I'm getting really mad. I called Tracfone again tonight and thought I was getting somewhere when they hung up on me. Yes that's right. I think the woman, barely able to speak English, was sick of me asking her to repeat what she was saying and all of a sudden I got a dial tone. I'm real close to sending the phone back to Tracfone to get my money back. I don't use my phone much for talking and do very little texting. What I really was looking forward to was access to my weather websites on a screen bigger than a postage stamp. So far the LG800 does not look like the phone I was looking for. Thanks in advance for any replies or suggestions.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Go into the prepaid memory and scroll down to SIM number and give me the first 6 digits.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dj1111 View Post
    After finally receiving my LG800 and waiting for my new simcard I was very impressed with the phone.
    Why did you have to wait for a new sim? Why didnt you just use the one that came with the phone?

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The sim first 6 is 890141. The phone they sent me had a P5 in the number on the label.

I needed a new sim card because Tracfone said I did when I tried to activate it. I purchased the phone using zip 53085 because they didn't show it available in my 53083 zip. The boarder between the 2 zips is a little over a mile west of my home.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    What browser are you using? Have you gotten a signed version of Opera Mini?

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I'm using the browser it came with. Haven't had much time to start working with other downloads and/or apps. The phone was just activated late Wednesday and this weekend I have a son graduating.

And by the way my last phone conversation with Trac the woman said she was going to do some kind of reset on my phone and it could take up to 24 hours. Shortly after that I was disconnected when I kept asking her to repeat what she was saying because her English was so bad.
    Last edited by dj1111; 06-04-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Added more to it

Feedback Score
    The sim first 6 is 890141. The phone they sent me had a P5 in the number on the label.

I needed a new sim card because Tracfone said I did when I tried to activate it. I purchased the phone using zip 53085 because they didn't show it available in my 53083 zip. The border between the 2 zips is a little over a mile west of my home. Thanks
    890141 is an ATT sim. (T-mo would be 890126.) The phone model said P5 indicating T-mo (ATT would be C4). P5 means the phone is set up with parameters directing it to use the T-mo gateway. But you cant do this if there is an ATT sim in the phone. Your gateway parameters need to be changed to point to the ATT gateways.

This can be done. I did it with a Samsung T301g that arrived T-mo and I later changed to ATT.

I forget the exact steps but it can be done.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    It looks like Tracfone may have done what annepani said needed to be done. We went to an air show about 30 miles North of my home and the phone worked great. Internet worked as well as sending multimedia messages. The phone also worked at my friends house 5 miles West of us where it did not work yesterday. So I think all is good now. Thank you all for your help.

The bottom line is, Trancfone's customer support is hit or miss. It all depends on who you talk to, whether your issues will be resolved or not. I've found that if today you get poor service call back tomorrow and the next day until you get the one person smart enough to fix your problems.

Phone
    Iphone 5, LGOptimus L90, LG800G for sons
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob3235 View Post
    Does anyone else's LG800g have a screwed up "world clock"?
    On mine, it correctly identifies me as being in the central time zone and it has the correct time. But then all the other time zones are behind an hour. Consequently, it thinks New York has the same exact time as Chicago.
    yes I'm looking at it. it's 10:45 in LA and says 12:45 for NY should of course be 1:45

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rtoledo2002 View Post
    yes I'm looking at it. it's 10:45 in LA and (the World Clock) says 12:45 for NY should of course be 1:45
    I think the World Clock is stuck on Standard Time instead of switching to Daylight Savings Time. The time on your phone is correct because your carrier sends local time in its signal. But the World Clock might be set to stay fixed on Standard Time.

Feedback Score
    ... this weekend I have a son graduating.
    Congratulations. What a nice early Fathers Day gift.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    Congratulations. What a nice early Fathers Day gift.
    Thank you, the weather was surprisingly perfect for an outdoor graduation.

Carrier
    H2O, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The back keeps sliding off on my LG800g. Anyone else?

I first tried adding a small piece of foam in between the two pieces and, with the added pressure, that helped quite a lot; unfortunately, it still pops off---just not as often. Thinking I'll maybe try a small thin piece of double-sided foam tape, next. (Just hope I can still somehow manage to slide it off in order to retrieve the microSD card for whenever I do eventually replace this phone!)

Also, I've been scratching the crap out of the touchscreen.

I'm usually pretty careful with my phones, but being a touchscreen I suppose the chances for scratches increases. So, with that said, I guess I'll use and abuse the LG800g that I've got. And, I do like it well enough, so perhaps if I ever buy another LG800g, then maybe I'll put some wonky screen protector on it. Just throwing my experience out there for anyone who is on the fence about throwing a protector on theirs.

Feedback Score
    Back cover popping off: make sure the battery is fully seated. To cushion against impact you can picked up a silicone cover at FatOrder. HSN.com also sells three covers for about $25 before tax and SH. At minimum it will ensure you don't lose your cover.

Screen Scratches: I noticed the screen tends to scratch easily as well. I ordered a from Amazon specially designed for the phone but it didn't come in time for our needs. The company's is EZGUARD. I ended up cutting down one of the screen protector meant for a Motorola mobile. The price was under $10 and it enclosed three to a pack. Good thickness. Barely know it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob3235 View Post
    The back keeps sliding off on my LG800g. Anyone else?

I first tried adding a small piece of foam in between the two pieces and, with the added pressure, that helped quite a lot; unfortunately, it still pops off---just not as often. Thinking I'll maybe try a small thin piece of double-sided foam tape, next. (Just hope I can still somehow manage to slide it off in order to retrieve the microSD card for whenever I do eventually replace this phone!)

Also, I've been scratching the crap out of the touchscreen.

I'm usually pretty careful with my phones, but being a touchscreen I suppose the chances for scratches increases. So, with that said, I guess I'll use and abuse the LG800g that I've got. And, I do like it well enough, so perhaps if I ever buy another LG800g, then maybe I'll put some wonky screen protector on it. Just throwing my experience out there for anyone who is on the fence about throwing a protector on theirs.
    Real Life Dictionary: Cell Phone. A fancy term for mobile answering machine.

Carrier
    H2O, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I didn't know they had those gel covers that fit the LG800g. I'm not a fan of gel covers, but that's very interesting nonetheless.

As for the battery, it's fully seated. Not sure what the deal is. Doesn't appear to have any broken hinges. Hmmm.... maybe my phone just doesn't like me very much and that's why it keeps trying to split on me!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast