Thread: Wal-Mart's Accidental Protection Plan for unlocked and pre-paid phones ???????

Feedback Score

Question Wal-Mart's Accidental Protection Plan for unlocked and pre-paid phones ???????

I am looking at buying the Straight Talk Nokia E-71 from Wal-Mart and noticed they sell an 18 month protection plan for $39. It says that it covers accidental drops and spills.
    They replace the phone with a gift card for the original purchase amount and there is no deductible.

Anyone used this? Or know more about it? What is to stop someone from buying the phone and protection plan, using it for 16 months and dropping it in a glass of water, and getting a brand new phone for free??

here is the protection plan:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/18-Month-A...em+Description

here is the terms:
    http://i.walmart.com/i/rb/newmobtc.pdf

Feedback Score
    Hahaaa, good question! I was I could afford the luxury of testing companies' warranties, policies, and protection plans!

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by white22 View Post
    I am looking at buying the Straight Talk Nokia E-71 from Wal-Mart and noticed they sell an 18 month protection plan for $39. It says that it covers accidental drops and spills.
    They replace the phone with a gift card for the original purchase amount and there is no deductible.

Anyone used this? Or know more about it? What is to stop someone from buying the phone and protection plan, using it for 16 months and dropping it in a glass of water, and getting a brand new phone for free??

here is the protection plan:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/18-Month-A...em+Description

here is the terms:
    http://i.walmart.com/i/rb/newmobtc.pdf
    You would be getting another phone for the cost of the warranty plan. Be sure to read the fine print. This is not fine print but note anyway:
    WHAT IS NOT COVERED: THIS PLAN DOES NOT COVER: (1) INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES; (2) PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS; (3) DAMAGE FROM ABUSE MISUSE, INTRODUCTION OF FOREIGN OBJECTS INTO THE PRODUCT, UNAUTHORIZED PRODUCT MODIFICATIONS OR ALTERATIONS, FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER’S INSTRUCTIONS; (4) ACCESSORIES AND SUPPLIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: BATTERIES, ANTENNAS AND STYLUSES ; (5) ACTS OF GOD; (6) PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE; (7) INHERENT PRODUCT DEFECTS; (8) DAMAGE WHICH IS NOT REPORTED WITHIN 30 DAYS AFTER EXPIRATION OF THIS PLAN; (9) LOSS OR DAMAGE TO STORED DATA, REPAIRS RELATED TO INSTALLED SOFTWARE OR COMPUTER VIRUSES; (10) ANY DAMAGE TO RECORDING MEDIA INCLUDING ANY SOFTWARE PROGRAMS, DATA, OR CONFIGURATION/SETUP INFORMATION; (11) PRODUCTS WITH REMOVED OR ALTERED SERIAL NUMBERS; (12) LOSS OR CORRUPTION OF DATA AND/OR THE RESTORATION OF SOFTWARE AND OPERATING SYSTEMS; (13) LOSS AND/OR THEFT OF THE PRODUCT; (14) LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF PROFITS, DOWN-TIME AND CHARGES FOR TIME AND EFFORT; (15) ANY FAILURES, OR PARTS AND/OR LABOR COST INCURRED AS A RESULT OF A MANUFACTURER’S RECALL; (16) DAMAGE COVERED UNDER ANY INSURANCE POLICY, OR ANY OTHER WARRANTY OR SERVICE PLAN; AND (19) DAMAGE OR LOSS DUE TO WAR, INVASION OR ACT OF FOREIGN ENEMY, HOSTILITIES, CIVIL WAR, REBELLION, RIOT, STRIKE, LABOR DISTURBANCE, LOCKOUT OR CIVIL COMMOTION.
    Last edited by efparri; 05-20-2011 at 11:03 AM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    You would be getting another phone for the cost of the warranty plan. Be sure to read the fine print.
    I do realize they can provide a replacement product in lieu oof reimbursement, but it has to be with an equivalnet phone, but the way I am looking at it is most phones won't last 2 years reguardless, not to mention in my hands. So $40 for an equivalent phone or purrchase price reimbursment seems like its too good of a deal to pass up. I'm almost guarenteed another phone in the 18 months (intentional or unintentionsl phone failure) as long as i don't loose it, get a virus, act of god ect....
    Last edited by white22; 05-19-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    According to the rest of the document, they send you a UPS label once they approve the replacement. When you give them the tracking number, they will activate the gift card. Incidentally, the company handling the program is located in Sterling, Virginia, near Washington Dulles International Airport.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    If your phone is stolen/lost/ or at the bottom of a large body of water do they expect you to send it back?
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    most ST E71 are living in people's drawer turned off

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
    If your phone is stolen/lost/ or at the bottom of a large body of water do they expect you to send it back?
    Scroll up and read it again.

It does NOT cover lost or stolen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstuffs View Post
    most ST E71 are living in people's drawer turned off
    Very true! And while that might be the case for me down the road right now I just want to lower my monthly bill($70) and need a new phone. I use more mins and texts that the $30 plan so if I'm going to get unlimited web im going to get the only decent phone they offer to use it.