Thread: Will I get charge for tethering?

Feedback Score

Will I get charge for tethering?

I'm getting mixed information when trying to find a answer to this.

I have a Mytouch 4G with unlimited data, I don't believe I signed up for any tethering service. Any ways, usb tethering and portable hotspot seems to work fine, however, am I be charged if I turned them on?

I search google and some sites say tmobile will charge $14.99, did that take affect yet?

Phones
    HTC Incredible S
    Google Nexus One
    Motorola V635
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VistaXP View Post
    I'm getting mixed information when trying to find a answer to this.

I have a Mytouch 4G with unlimited data, I don't believe I signed up for any tethering service. Any ways, usb tethering and portable hotspot seems to work fine, however, am I be charged if I turned them on?

I search google and some sites say tmobile will charge $14.99, did that take affect yet?

They charge you if you add it to your account. If you don't add it to your account you use it for free.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nardva View Post
    They charge you if you add it to your account. If you don't add it to your account you use it for free.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using HowardForums
    Wait, add what to my account?

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Theres a separate tethering add on for $15. If you can tether without the add-on, then just do it.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    I've been able to use Froyo's mobile hotspot feature on my phone without adding the $15 package. I've still managed to keep usage below 1GB, as I only use tethering as a backup when I have no other connectivity options.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VistaXP View Post
    Any ways, usb tethering and portable hotspot seems to work fine, however, am I be charged if I turned them on?
    No. If you tether quite a bit, you may receive a text from T-Mobile saying to add the $15 tether option to your account. If you don't do that, then they may block your tethering.

However, most people have found that if they tether moderately, you can do it without the add-on.

I search google and some sites say tmobile will charge $14.99, did that take affect yet?[/QUOTE]

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So far this month I have used 11.7 GB and all of it was using my phone as a hotspot. No text message from T-Mobile yet, just dial up speeds after 6~8 GBs used.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    As noted above, just tether until you get the message or tether a little more sparingly and you should be fine. They won't like AT&T force a tethering add-on to your account, at worst they will just block you from tethering until you sign up for the tethering add on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tivoman View Post
    So far this month I have used 11.7 GB and all of it was using my phone as a hotspot. No text message from T-Mobile yet, just dial up speeds after 6~8 GBs used.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2
    Are you on 2004 T&Cs? (You are if you did not enter into a contract (or take a phone subsidy) after the June 2008 T&Cs came out.) Also, are you on an old data plan, TZones, or Total Internet? The 2004 T&Cs have no language concerning data limits or throttling, and do not ban tethering. Newer T&Cs introduce throttling and ask user not to tether, although the later is usually not enforced.

I hope that when AT&T grandfathers, they will get this distinction right and let those of us without caps and tethering restrictions remain that way.