Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google Maps - NOW on any browser capable phone

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score

Google Maps - NOW on any browser capable phone

I just read an article regarding Google Maps, and that it now works on all mobile browsers.

Prior to this update, if you tried to access Google Maps with a phones browser, it would tell you that you need an app for that.

So, all Net10/Tracfone/ST phones browser capable ought to work? As long as you are not using the restricted use browser that came with the phone

I tired it on my smart phone's (Dolphin for Android) browser and it works without an app.

Of course you won't have GPS tie-in to the map, and lots of click-to-pan around on small screens, but....You asked for it, and Google has provided Will have to pressure America Movil to include GPS and a full browser now

I don't have a Net10/Tracfone/ST that is browser capable, so I'm unable to try this myself. Sooo...Maybe others can post their success using which model of phone, what you think about it over all, and important to some- is it worth the minutes burn?

Just enter the url below into your phone, and Google should figure out that you are on a mobile, and adjust accordingly.

http://maps.google.com

K-L-M - Eternal tech support
    Motorola W260G -A Tracfone where you can't accidentally hit the browser button. It has no browser button. It has no browser!

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Nice! It's kinda crappy, but works better than nothing! Thanks for posting.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Oh, the "get directions" feature is really handy.

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    (smiling) now that you discovered the 'get directions feature' have your thoughts upgraded from 'crappy' any? Just kidding!

Lotta Net10/TF/ST folks wanted it, now lets see if it is worth it for real use on dumb phones.

I take it you tried it on your LG620G which as a screen resolution of thumbnail proportions (mine is even smaller than that!) at 176X220. Are you able to use keys to zoom in on the map and pan around enough to see anything of detail?

I think get directions feature as you pointed out will be the most, if only useful feature on small screen phones.

Teaser- If one uses a smart phone with GPS etc. once you arrive at your destination, the map that tracks with your position will go away and a google mobile snap shot will appear of your destination. It really worked too. I needed to find a repair station and once I arrived I had a picture showing the station closed down out of business from 3 years ago doh!

...But good thing in 'real-time' the station was open for business under new management. A happy ending.

So....Anyone else with a different model phone give it a try yet? What model, and how was your experience?

K-L-M - Eternal tech support
    "How I figured out my phone out was- I read the manual. When that didn't work I just started pressing buttons! If that didn't not work, I sought out every post I could find on the phone first before asking questions."

Phone
    ZTE, LG
    Carrier
    America Movil, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone tried this with a CDMA TracFone? CDMA models have GPS built-in to them.
    America Movil/Straight Talk/TracFone customer since 2004.
    verizon customer since 2012.
    T-Mobile customer from 2005-2014.

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 :: LG Optimus F3 :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    Oh this is just too cool!!

Thank you for posting this.
    I am not using a Tracfone or Net10 but a Boost Incognito and it works!!!
    The 'Get Directions' is GREAT!!

I am not sure why it thought I was in Moscow Russia initially though?
    After I heard about the new T~Mobile Prepaid Plans

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone tried this with a CDMA TracFone? CDMA models have GPS built-in to them.
    Interesting thought.

Being this is done through the browser and not an app, GPS can't be called up to get your location. This was probably one reason why Google Maps required an app on smart phones, so they can add your whereabouts to their data base

I am not sure why it thought I was in Moscow Russia initially though?
    Hmmm...Maybe that's where your phones internet connection pours out to? Makes you wonder.

My (smartphone) planted me in Kansas City, and that is indeed where the inlet/outlet for my carriers Internet is, and not where I actually live. Again, this is where GPS-tie in would be handy, hence the need for an app? Still 'Get directions' feature in Google maps, is lots better when you are lost and only have a dumb phone to consult.

...And I'm back to using Google Maps with an app for me....

Glad the news helped.

K-L-M

Even if a browser had that power, TF/Net10/ST is famous for severe lack for java permissions to do cool things.

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    It's typical on my TF's to use up 3 minutes just getting a radar map, and the last time I tried that with a new LG500G, it timed out and quit. TF's browser isn't user friendly, and on a unit basis, a city map is cheaper pretty quick.

Still cool to have when you need it, oldschoolers like me either know the streets in our town that well, or surf it before we leave home. We're a lot less impulsive and plan things out.

PS I work in Joplin, MO, and it's not useful right now. It requires recognizable landmarks to work, and there aren't any.

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I've got it on my LG800G - what the heck, it's free, so why not? It does work, and I like how it looks on my screen. Once I figured out how to do the zoom in/out, it became a lot easier to use!

Feedback Score
    I have installed this mobile version of google maps on my Lg800g and it works great. To install; open the browser, select search, select google and select maps. A window opens to "install now" . It will install in the games and apps area and provides for point to point driving directions, street view and satelite view. This installation provides a direct route to Google Maps. It memorizes your home location or any other you select to save and that will be on the screen when the app opens.

Phones
    IPHONE 4S
    IPHONE 4S
    Carrier
    SPRINT
    Feedback Score
    i have tried several times to use this and it keeps saying my location is somewhere in new york city!!!! i am in the south!
    i gave up - it was version 2.3.2 so i don't know if that had anything to do with it or if there is a newer version.

Feedback Score
    lgg1943, Thanks! Followed your instructions and it worked fine.

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    Hey guys.. I have the lg290c for Straight Talk. It doesn't work. But they have a mobile version url for the google maps. I entered it and it still says I need to download an application. Here is the link if anyone needs it..

http://m.google.com/maps

Feedback Score
    i believe google maps requires a java enabled phone. m.google.com\maps worked on the LG 900G I had for a month, does not work on my verizon motorola krave or env3.

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    yeah, the straight talk cdma phones have java disabled. Boo!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast