Thread: 900g weather/radar app & "available minutes" question

Carrier
    net10
    Feedback Score

900g weather/radar app & "available minutes" question

Just picked this phone up friday. For the most part, it's a great improvement over my t401g. I knew it wasn't a "true" smart phone, but for $30 with the 4GB card, car charger and headset I didn't really care.

So I'm just trying to get a decent weather app to run on it. When I try wunderground's or the weather channel's, they say something about "insufficient memory"....It's like it's trying to load too large of a page or something. I have the primary memory set to the 4gb card so I'm not sure if there's any way around this. OR can someone recommend an app on this that will show a decent sized radar map? I got the weatherbug app to work but when checking the radar on it or the generic "weather" link from the main mobile page, the maps are smaller than they were on my t401g!

Also, is there anyway to disable the ANNOYING "available minutes" message after every freaking action that you do on the phone?? Thanks for any help

EDIT: the apps are being stored on the external card, not the phone, so that can't be the problem when it comes to the memory issue
    Last edited by gba88; 05-22-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Hello,

The insufficient memory issue has been discussed extensively, and is not just on the LG900G. TF/Net10/ST phones have a limit of 300k web page size, just like 330k limit on MMS, 300k limit on ring tones, you get the idea.

To get around the web page limit you will need another browser. Opera mini or Bolt lite. You will want the signed version, or you will get more pop ups. Getting the signed version is not that easy because of the 300k limit. All this you will read over and over again here on HoFo.

Normally you use the very phone you plan to install opera mini to access the web site http://m.opera.com for download. You would look for the link that says something about other download options. Then look for something to the effect code signing certificate. Then there are a number of 'certificates' to try, one of them should work. Either way, it needs to see that phone before it hands you a signed version, or you'll not see any of this.

Again, I don't have a web capable Tracfone, so I can't try it. If one does try accessing m.opera.com with the built in browser, hopefully, the browser will allow you to download files, and you don't hit a mobile page that goes over 300k. Mobile pages are designed to be small so.....maybe....There is a lot to cover to get this done, wish I had the time.

Alternatively, you can download opera mini via a PC, but the web site will never reveal a signed version to you, because your PC is not a phone.

You can still download Opera mini for java mobiles but it will not be signed. You can transfer the unsigned version to the phone and and install it. But up on web access it will prompt like mad for permission to connect to the Internet first. It's a java thing, and a signed version satisfies the permissions needed and will stop that prompt from appearing.

What one could do is, go into your PC's web browser and change the user again ID to something that looks like a mobile phone. Then hunt for the signed version (Opera does not make it easy to find), down load on PC with altered ID, then transfer to phone and install. Dunno what all this means? Seek a computer geek They will probably be glad to help.

For an altered user agent ID, you could use:
    LG-LG420G [TFxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxyyyyyyy1nnnnnnnnnn] Obigo/WAP2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1

(x's, y's, 1n's is a phones serial number and telephone number, just make something up, or better yet, omit.)

Yep, getting a new browser is not easy either way you go. Lotta people ask constantly how, and no precise answers posted every where. At least now you know what you are up against.

Some time ago, I thought about making a tutorial on how to do this in 3 ways, but, don't have the time, and don't have an activated TF/Net10/ST phone that is web capable to use as a guide on my would be tutorial. I've lost interest in discovering things for things America Movil for now, but who knows in the future

What I thought would be great is if, Opera or Bolt would make a direct URL to the signed version, no web page, etc. so that a new browser could be easily downloaded using the crippled bolt in browser, the way signed versions were meant to be handled.

And on the question of the annoying available minutes message and the removal of- Unfortunately no. I did not like it either, but it did make we want to hurry up and get off the net with the thing as the 'data units' go by fast. You'll see

Dig around on the main thread here when you have time. You might find some other really good info for the 900. Good luck!

K-L-M - Eternal tech support
    "I spend more time tech-supporting Tracfones than actually using them!"

Carrier
    net10
    Feedback Score
    Thanks a LOT for taking the time to post all of that I'll try my best to get a signed version of opera or bolt and take it from there. The way I look at it, the phone was only $30 and was a great upgrade so no big deal really if it doesn't work like I assumed it would have (i.e. better web, apps, etc). If it's just "unbearable", it will just be one more reason to get rid of net10 service in the long run. Thanks again!

Phones
    Zte Merit LG 900G
    Lg 900G
    Zte Merit
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Try reading this, it is the best thing I found on the oprea mini download. It will tell you how to get the signed version.
    http://blog.wapreview.com/6693/

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Here's a thread just a few clicks away here on HoFo where they seem to have had success doing this with an LG 800g:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...e-49.99/page14

Last page, starting post 200. Worth a shot.

Carrier
    net10
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the opera info! I'll try to do this (m.opera site) and report back. At work now, so It may not be til this evening.

Carrier
    net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron/wv View Post
    Try reading this, it is the best thing I found on the oprea mini download. It will tell you how to get the signed version.
    http://blog.wapreview.com/6693/
    No luck I followed all instructions and tried EVERY certificate type (all, verisign, thawte...) all downloaded then said "authentication failed". This really sucks b/c I just burned through like 20 minutes or something and have nothing to show for it. I tried the bolt site too and the same thing happened. This is beginning to not look so good. Does anyone out there know precisely what code the 900g needs?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gba88 View Post
    Thanks a LOT for taking the time to post all of that I'll try my best to get a signed version of opera or bolt and take it from there. The way I look at it, the phone was only $30 and was a great upgrade so no big deal really if it doesn't work like I assumed it would have (i.e. better web, apps, etc). If it's just "unbearable", it will just be one more reason to get rid of net10 service in the long run. Thanks again!
    After you click the code signing certificate pick the one called varisign to install.

Carrier
    net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphonefreak View Post
    After you click the code signing certificate pick the one called varisign to install.
    This just will not work for me, something must be seriously wrong. I have tried 4.3 and 6 both with the verisign certificate. They will both download, then as soon as they do, it says "authentication failed" and I'm left with nothing. I installed without the certificate, but besides the "not trusted" msg, I also cannot type in the url bar... the keys produce incorrect characters when i type. This is really annoying.

Feedback Score
    No luck I followed all instructions and tried EVERY certificate type (all, verisign, thawte...) all downloaded then said "authentication failed". This really sucks b/c I just burned through like 20 minutes or something and have nothing to show for it. I tried the bolt site too and the same thing happened. This is beginning to not look so good. Does anyone out there know precisely what code the 900g needs?
    I had the 900g and I did the code signing certificate and then the verisign version and it worked fine. No pop ups.

Feedback Score
    This just will not work for me, something must be seriously wrong. I have tried 4.3 and 6 both with the verisign certificate. They will both download, then as soon as they do, it says "authentication failed" and I'm left with nothing. I installed without the certificate, but besides the "not trusted" msg, I also cannot type in the url bar... the keys produce incorrect characters when i type. This is really annoying.
    I'm thinking you need to exchange phones--there could be something wrong with this one. ?

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    gba88, I bet you're trying to install with the memory card installed. Take out the memory card and try it. For some reason when I tried to install Opera 6, Bolt (Dual signed version so I don't get the untrusted app notification), Snaptu, Google Maps, and a couple other apps on my LG900G they all gave me the authentication error. When I removed the memory card I was able to go to the web sites and install the apps on my phone. After I made sure they all worked I installed the memory card and moved the apps from my phone to the external memory card. They worked fine from the external card. Hope that helps you get them installed. Side note: Snaptu installs but the Menu and Exit keys aren't properly mapped to use on this phone so don't bother installing Snaptu, maybe if they come out with an updated version.

Carrier
    net10
    Feedback Score
    Awesome! I just replied in my other thread to your post. I'm definitely going to give this a try. I'll post back and let everyone know what happens. Thanks again!