Thread: do i have to cancel my phone contract before i sell my phone?

Feedback Score

do i have to cancel my phone contract before i sell my phone?

do i have to cancel my iphone contract before i sell my phone? or once the sim card is removed and a new one placed in will it just use that persons account? either way if I have to cancel before or after the contract termination it does not matter?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Your question is a carrier policy question and should be asked in that carrier's forum. Since you did not identify your carrier, there may not be a definitive answer based upon the information you gave.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You should ask your question only in one forum. If you purchased your phone directly from AT&T, there are no restrictions on what you can do with the phone. If you purchased the phone from a reseller, they may have limits on what you can do with your phone during a 181 day period after purchase.

Your contract is for voice service. You are still bound by that contract even if you use no phone at all.

Feedback Score
    my carrier is AT&T

ssssssssssssssss

Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yes that was true once upon a time, but AT&T has had alot of fraud when it comes to the iPhone, and they have a specialized team called the equipment gamming team.

If you stop using the iPhone on your account, your account will get flagged and u will fall into this department, these are one of these departments that even corporate cannot touch. What they say is final.

If u are still in a contract, and choose to keep AT&T with a different phone, your account will to the equipment review team, and they will ask u where the phone is, an if u cannot get the phone that u signed the contract with (same IMEI number) or buy a new iPhone at full price, they will cancel out your account and make u pay the ETF on your account.

This department is a small team, so if u are still under contact and want to sell your phone and use a different phone, they wont allow it and they will make u biy a new iPhone at full price, so really if u are out of contract that is the only way u will be able to sell your phone and be good.

Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    You should ask your question only in one forum. If you purchased your phone directly from AT&T, there are no restrictions on what you can do with the phone. If you purchased the phone from a reseller, they may have limits on what you can do with your phone during a 181 day period after purchase.

Your contract is for voice service. You are still bound by that contract even if you use no phone at all.

Phones
    Lumia 900
    Galaxy Note II
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You can sell your iPhone and it will automatically become active on another account once a new sim card is put in it. However, your sim card will still be active with your current plan and iPhone data.

If you cancel your plan before your contract is over, you will be subject to a early termination fee that may be prorated. For this, you will need to contact your carrier. If your contract is already done and you are going month-to-month, you won't pay a cancellation fee.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech9NYC View Post
    Yes that was true once upon a time, but AT&T has had alot of fraud when it comes to the iPhone, and they have a specialized team called the equipment gamming team.

If you stop using the iPhone on your account, your account will get flagged and u will fall into this department, these are one of these departments that even corporate cannot touch. What they say is final.

If u are still in a contract, and choose to keep AT&T with a different phone, your account will to the equipment review team, and they will ask u where the phone is, an if u cannot get the phone that u signed the contract with (same IMEI number) or buy a new iPhone at full price, they will cancel out your account and make u pay the ETF on your account.

This department is a small team, so if u are still under contact and want to sell your phone and use a different phone, they wont allow it and they will make u biy a new iPhone at full price, so really if u are out of contract that is the only way u will be able to sell your phone and be good.
    Where did you get that malarkey? Are you pulling the Original Poster's leg?

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cauchon View Post
    You can sell your iPhone and it will automatically become active on another account once a new sim card is put in it. However, your sim card will still be active with your current plan and iPhone data.
    If it's the iPhone 4, you may need to unlock it before it can be used with another carrier. It depends on the carrier. This should be asked in the carrier specific forum.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    No iam dead serious, there is a team called the equipmemt gaming team, the system is setup to flag peoples account if they see that u bought a phone, being that everyone was pretty much doing what he described, alot of peoples account got flaggef, and this departments call volume was sick, because it was just one number once u call it goes right to a agent.

Just got off the phone with AT&T to get the number, and they told me that the policy has changed, that team no longer exists, BUT your account can still be flagged and if u want to get a replacement they have to send a request in order for u to get it, u will not have the ability to bill thungs to your account with the block on your account, u cant use the * features, if u login to your account and look at the phones there, att will suspend your service.

Yes this is true, u can call att and ask them about the equipment gaming team, or equipment review team.

Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Where did you get that malarkey? Are you pulling the Original Poster's leg?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    How convenient. You must be Alexander Graham Bell. You were never able to get a replacement phone without paying full price.

Phone
    HP Veer
    Carrier
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    And selling an individual phone isn't going to get AT&T's attention. People COMMIT FRAUD by doing things such as stealing accounts and buying the max number of phones. Imgaine someone gets your details, adds an "authorized user" to your account and goes to the AT&T store and adds a 5 line family plan w/ 5 iPhones. They get the cheapest plan and there's no usage on the new lines. They turn around and sell the phones for full price and abandon the stolen account.

This is the sort of pattern AT&T is trying to stop. An individual selling their phone doesn't match this pattern, even if you upgrade your line and turn around and sell it on eBay. Otherwise this forum would be full of people complaining.
    More Bars in More Places.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    And selling an individual phone isn't going to get AT&T's attention. People COMMIT FRAUD by doing things such as stealing accounts and buying the max number of phones. Imgaine someone gets your details, adds an "authorized user" to your account and goes to the AT&T store and adds a 5 line family plan w/ 5 iPhones. They get the cheapest plan and there's no usage on the new lines. They turn around and sell the phones for full price and abandon the stolen account.

This is the sort of pattern AT&T is trying to stop. An individual selling their phone doesn't match this pattern, even if you upgrade your line and turn around and sell it on eBay. Otherwise this forum would be full of people complaining.
    Agreed, I think that Tech9NYC is thinking of the "fraud/loss prevention team". I don't see that 1 person selling 1 iPhone is going to raise any eyebrows. OP, disregard the prior warning.

Many power users switch handsets frequently with no issues (as long as the have the correct features active on their account for the phone they are using) without drawing any additional attention from At&t.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame