Thread: Can i change the "carrier" for my tracfone?

Feedback Score

Can i change the "carrier" for my tracfone?

I recently fell in love with and purchased the new lg 800g tracfone. thinking i had at&t coverage in this area, i over rode the zip code when ordering. now that I have it i get NO signal on it. I have a lg 290c already that gets good service around here. Is there anything i can do to the 800g to change it from the at*t to say verizon or something. thanks!

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scarlett233 View Post
    I recently fell in love with and purchased the new lg 800g tracfone. thinking i had at&t coverage in this area, i over rode the zip code when ordering. now that I have it i get NO signal on it. I have a lg 290c already that gets good service around here. Is there anything i can do to the 800g to change it from the at*t to say verizon or something. thanks!
    The g on the end of the model number = GSM type service - ATT , T-moble.

The c on the end of the model number = CDMA type service - Verizon, etc.

There is no way you can get a GSM phone to operate on a CDMA signal!

If there is T-moble service in your area you can call CS for a T-moble SIM.
    They will send you one for FREE.

Feedback Score
    Are you sure you are on AT&T now? Go to wirelessamberalerts.org and submit your phone number. It won't sign you up.

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    TF chaingangs the SIM to that phone and changing it requires Customer Service. Good luck with that. Sure, they will send you a free SIM, you will likely have to call again to input coding into that phone to get things to work.

This is the dark downside that zip code switchers don't want to talk about. When it doesn't work, you are at the mercy of a foreign language speaking CS rep with no Java programming experience attempting to work thru a script that makes them look like a good hit for service - regardless that it might not be an answer.

"Ship a free SIM" is a script response that in my experience means "You will call back and we get to play the game all over again." TF isn't service oriented, they work best off a peghook and live with it. $40 will get you a phone and minutes for limited use - asking more than that means accepting the risks of not being an American plan service, but being a third world pay as you go service. You don't really get a $150 phone for pennies on the dollar - more like a $25 phone and leased access to the cell towers of their choice, not yours.

But, what the heck, even a Yugo will get you to work.