Thread: Switching SIM cards?

Feedback Score

Switching SIM cards?

So moisture got into my phone, I bought a new one and transferred the number. I would much rather retain my contacts, pictures, and ringtones by switching back to the old SIM card. I have the old one out, and planned on bringing it to a Verizon store (google tells me I can go there and have the switch done for me). I just want to make sure this is possible and I am not wasting my time.

Also, my friend claims my pics/videos/texts are all on the phone and not the SIM. Are they lost?

Feedback Score
    Oh, and both are Tracfone SGH-T401G phones. Both are C4 cards, not T-Mobile.

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    If you show up at a Verizon store with a SIM card, they will look at you funny (Verizon uses CDMA technology - no SIM card).

Your old SIM card will NOT work in your new phone. This is true of all Tracfone/Net10 phones.

You can find a cheap SIM card reader on eBay to see what's on the SIM card, but your friend is probably right. If you don't remember saving files to the SIM, then they probably got saved only to the phone.

Feedback Score
    So the SIM card saves the data from the phone? Where are my texts and pictures stored from my old phone? On my SIM card?

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Your texts and pictures could be saved either on the phone memory or on the SIM card. Some phones will ask you where you want to store the files. If you don't remember making a choice to save your files to the SIM card, then they may be saved only in the phone's memory. (I think that's the default for most Tracfones.)

You might take out the battery and dry out your old phone to see if it will power up again.

Feedback Score
    It does, but the screen was white, I ended up buying a new one. Is there any way to retrieve it, or are all of my pictures forever discarded?

I really appreciate the responses by the way.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I believe you can have the phone transfer info from the phone memory to the SIM memory. Since both phones are the same model you could learn the procedure on the new phone and hope to do it the same on the old phone, even though your screen will be blank as you go through the steps blind. Seems very difficult but may work to get the info on the SIM and then the SIM into the card reader.

Feedback Score
    Maybe the phone isn't finished drying?

Carrier
    TMo
    Feedback Score
    Pictures are not stored on SIMs, they would be on the phone. You could MMS them to an email address to archive them.

Phone numbers and Texts (SMS) may be stored on the SIM. If so, you may try putting the SIM in another phone and copying them there (if the other phone boots fine with a non-paired SIM).

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    TF SIMS are chainganged to the phone they activate. Swaps require coding input to their phones, although a knowledgeable programmer might be able to access things with some serious jailbreaking. If it's a TF, I see no reason other than charity why Verizon would give you the time of day - any more than a Ford Dealer would work on your Yugo - without a signed workorder. Expect no guarantees and loss of everything, TF is not like a plan phone. It's much much more secure against tinkering. They made it that way as a disincentive to resellers buying up all their phones and using them on the carriers they lease from - with profit.

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    You didn't happen to have a micro sd card in the phone to store your info on?
    That would be easiest.

Does someone here know if the t401g supports file transfer from phone to PC via usb data cable? Maybe you could buy one such cable and a microsd card and insert the card in the phone and see if your computer shows the internal memory of the phone when you plug in the cable?