Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can i use any phone on straight talk with a straight talk Sim Card?

Feedback Score

Can i use any phone on straight talk with a straight talk Sim Card?

i currently am using a straight talk phone and have been for a while. But i am sick of this crappy phone when all my friends have the hi-tech smart phones. So my question is if I were to buy an unlocked phone (preferably a Droid) would i be able to put a straight talk sim card in it and it work? I've done research and most people say you have to use the E71 sim card, is that true or can you use any sim card? Basically I just want to know if this will work before i go spending a bunch of money on phones.

Feedback Score
    the sim out of the nokia e71 or nokia 6790 are the only two phones that the sim can be put in to different locked/unlocked phones. all the other phones that straight talk sell, the sim is locked to that phone. however (once active) you must keep the nokia e71 or 6790( like in a junk drawer) to maintain service. do not sell/return either of these two phones or the sim will be deactivated and you will lose service.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Is it really worth spending $200 for a Nokia E71 or 6790 and then spending even more for a replacement phone? You would wipe out the savings from the cost of the Straight Talk plan.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    virgin mobile usa
    Feedback Score
    Why do people ask the same question over and over again.

Sent from my HD7 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    #1. You have to use the SIM from the Nokia E71 or the Nokia 6790
    #2. Any Android phone or IPhone will work with the SIM...the only exception that comes to mind is if your IPhone has the latest update and cannot be jailbroken.....then the MMS won't work, but everything else will.
    #3. The instructions to do this are on this site. Please use the search function on this site to find them....people are tired of repeating themselves. IF you run into problems after that, THEN ask for help.
    #4. If you want 3G you MUST use an AT&T PHONE.....otherwise you'll be stuck on the Edge network which is slow as hell.
    #5. The initial cost CAN be worth it when you consider how much it costs to get unlimited talk, text, and data on most providers....assuming they even offer unlimited data to begin with. It will take a few months, but it is worth it. Order a lightly used phone from Ebay if you want to save some money.
    #6 Take care of your phone.....remember....no contract= no insurance
    For instructions on using Androids with Straight Talk don't PM me....I don't usually answer....click here!
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...stop-asking%29

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You would get that same saving if you used the original Nokia phones. No other phone can do the permitted data usages any better than the Nokia phones can. Most people who purchase a different phone want to do things not permitted by the Terms and Condiitions.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Not true actually. The Nokia's from Straight Talk suck because they have ST's programming. The internet speeds on the phone are horrible. Plus, in case you haven't noticed, Nokia's market share is almost non-existent in the US and is dropping steadily in the UK. Everyone wants an Android, IPhone, or Blackberry....that doesn't necessarily mean they want to tether. Switching phones to begin with is a violation of the TOS....so maybe you're right....to a point. Quite frankly, these ST phones are crippled on what is otherwise a pretty good network.

Sent from my Straight Talk HTC Inspire using the Howard Forums app

Feedback Score
    Crippled? The E71 and 6790 offered by Straight Talk don't seem crippled to me in any way. I'm actually still trying to make sense of what you define as "ST's programming". You must live in a bad area for GSM phones to be saying that the internet speeds are horrible, i've gotten a steady 3 megabit downstream out of my E71 from at home on several occasions.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Trust me...the difference between my Inspire and that Nokia is huge as far a internet browsing even though they are on the same network. There are tons of people that complain about the internet browser timing out when they are trying to get to a page....so yes...crippled.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a problem that is specific to certain people. I have had an E71 and have used it most of the time since Straight Talk first released them on their network and can't find one thing to complain about. Then again AT&T is pretty dominant in my area, last year I had to run fiber to one of their portable cell sites at a fairground just because the year before some people complained about dropped calls during fair week. They may not be top of the line with their technology but as far as assuring coverage around here they don't mess around. It has to be a coverage thing because I can't see the firmware on the phone causing the browser to time out.

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    Your friends with the cool smartphones probably pay at least twice as much for their monthly service as you...

The cost of their phones is built into their 2 year contract, then they pay probably $40 for the cheapest call plan, plus $20 for texting and $30 for data plan.

There are supposed to be some new touch screen phones coming out for Straighttalk (some people say because they show up on the activation page but not for sale yet).

While they are not smartphones, they still look alot like the phones your friends use.

Maybe get one of them and still be able to save money with ST.

In this current economy having the coolest phone is not a priority, at least not for me.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Well I have a computer repair business and my HTC Inspire has proven to be an invaluable tool. I wasn't going to hold my breath for ST to come out with a comparable phone....that's why I just got their E71 for the SIM card. Same price,better phone......so what if I had to pay a bit up front? I've already saved that much in the time I've had the phone.

Phones
    Moto Atrix2
    ATRIX2
    HTC EVO 4G
    Carriers
    T~MOBILE
    Feedback Score
    #4. If you want 3G you MUST use an AT&T PHONE.....otherwise you'll be stuck on the Edge network which is slow as hell.

I have an Atrix2 from AT&T used on T-mobile...right now t-mobile has to send me a battery replacement as for some unknown reason the phone keeps rebooting and losing icons, data and contacts...but, i would like to ask you knowledgeable peeps on this forum, if it is true that AT&T blocks 4g down to 2g if you have their phone but using it on a different service? I had this phone on Simple Mobile (little sister company to T-Mobile) and the store told me i'd not be able to ever get 4 or even 3g due to AT&T restricting all other phones that are not being paid for on their network...but i was told by someone else, that whomever your current carrier is you will be on THEIR network, not the company that the phone was designed for...thanx in advance,
    Phyllis Michele Greenhouse

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgreenhouse View Post

I have an Atrix2 from AT&T used on T-mobile...right now t-mobile has to send me a battery replacement as for some unknown reason the phone keeps rebooting and losing icons, data and contacts...but, i would like to ask you knowledgeable peeps on this forum, if it is true that AT&T blocks 4g down to 2g if you have their phone but using it on a different service? I had this phone on Simple Mobile (little sister company to T-Mobile) and the store told me i'd not be able to ever get 4 or even 3g due to AT&T restricting all other phones that are not being paid for on their network...but i was told by someone else, that whomever your current carrier is you will be on THEIR network, not the company that the phone was designed for...thanx in advance,
    Phyllis Michele Greenhouse
    Salesmen say whatever it takes to get/keep your business.
    If a phone contains the correct frequencies used by a provider, you will receive through ST the best that provider (AT&T or T-Mobile in the case of BYOD) has to offer. Everyone must varify their phones frequencies before switching away from the original provider for which it was built. You may have noticed others asking will their "abc" phone work with "xyz" provider with full data speed capability.

Feedback Score
    look i got an iphone and it worked perfectly with straight talk no problems i don't know what these other people are talking about

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast