Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG 800G Downloading Opera Mini From Web

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score

LG 800G Downloading Opera Mini From Web

Understand Opera Mini allows you to access web using QWERTY verus LG800G phone keypad, how do i download it directly and which version of Opera Mini do I need? If it's faster/easier to download to my PC first (no Bluetooth) how do I do that, have the cable needed to attach the phone to the PC. Just bought the LG800G today, but know from watching videos on YouTube you can access web via QWERTY with the Opera Mini browser, your help will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mongooserider View Post
    Understand Opera Mini allows you to access web using QWERTY verus LG800G phone keypad, how do i download it directly and which version of Opera Mini do I need? If it's faster/easier to download to my PC first (no Bluetooth) how do I do that, have the cable needed to attach the phone to the PC. Just bought the LG800G today, but know from watching videos on YouTube you can access web via QWERTY with the Opera Mini browser, your help will be GREATLY appreciated!!!
    There has been a lot of discussion on downloading Opera Mini correctly. Suggest you read all the LG 800G threads for there will be lots of things you will learn in addition to this.

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    You will want to get a signed version of Opera mini, and the way to get it is to go to m.opera.com with your phone's default web browser. But you need to follow the instructions in post #11 of this thread:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...er-on-LG-800g.

Worked for me - then the first time that you try to enter any text, just change the text input option (like you would for text entry in any other application) and you will get keyboard as an option. Select it, and it will be retained from then on.

Feedback Score
    A key pad discussion is under a thread I started Tell me It isn't so. T9 Input for Browser...

It also includes discussions on which browser version to use. Sooner or later some industrious or frustrated person is going to gather up all of these loose thread under one post. In the meantime you should consider using the site search engine for your inquiry because it has already been discussed and answered.

Real Life Dictionary: Cell Phone. A fancy term for mobile answering machine.

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the information, it worked like a charm! Downloaded Opera mini 4.3 first, then 6, no problems, got signed copies of each. Only problem is the text is so small I can't read it, when I use the zoom it goes from one extreme to the other, zooming shows only about 5 percent of a page, isn't there any way to change the size in increments on the lg 800g?

Feedback Score
    I'm using Opera Mini 4.3.

Are there any advantages or new bells and whistles in version 6 that are worthwhile on the LG800??

Thanks

Feedback Score
    I have both Opera 4.3 and 6 on my phone. With my limited tests, the Opera mini 6 seems to take longer to load pages.

Still looking for way to have Opera mini 4.3 to default to the QWERTY keyboard instead of key pad mode.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoy1001 View Post
    Still looking for way to have Opera mini 4.3 to default to the QWERTY keyboard instead of key pad mode.
    I've noticed the same problem, not a big deal but not desirable. Does 6 do the same thing?

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the information, it worked like a charm! Downloaded Opera mini 4.3 first, then 6, no problems, got signed copies of each. Only problem is the text is so small I can't read it, when I use the zoom it goes from one extreme to the other, zooming shows only about 5 percent of a page, isn't there any way to change the size in increments on the lg 800g?
    Use the Font Size option under settings in the menu. It only affects the zoomed in view though. The zoomed out view (called overview mode) is only for navigation and is not meant to be readable
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    @mongooserider: Don't know if you caught my reply to your same inquiry over on the Straight Talk forum, but here it is again, and understand this is only my take on it:

I'm coming from a very different setup (T-Mobile with a Nokia Nuron), but I use Opera Mini, and on my touch screen phone, when I first get to a web page and it's full HTML-sized ("microscopic"), I tap the display once, and Opera Mini re-formats and sizes the page quite nicely, especially if it's a mobile-web formatted (WAP-style) page or site. I'm using Opera Mini 6 (same deal with OM 5 or 4, though). This is kind of a preset zoom feature of OM, not the phone. See if it works for you.

This will depend, of course, on how the LG 800g functions. Could be different than my setup.

Regarding the keyboard setup, in the Settings area of Opera Mini (after you hit the "wrench" or the "O" key at the bottom right, depending on the version you've installed), go to "Advanced", and there you will find the Opera Keyboard setting. Selections there are Always, Only for Addresses, and Never. The way mine works (set to "Always"), the Opera keyboard (tiny, narrow virual keys in the portrait mode) always pops up whenever I go to a text entry or editing area, and you can use it. Or, once you're in the editing field, if you touch and hold (longpress) that area, Opera Mini will prompt you for Fullscreen Edit mode, and if you accept it, the phone's virtual keyboard should come up for you to use. If you select for the Opera Keyboard to never appear, whenever a text entry field appears, you should get the phone's virtual keyboard first thing.

Like I said, this is how it is for me.
    Last edited by whacker; 06-03-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info, unfortunately for me the lg800g doesn't seem to wotk like your phone, tapping the screen doesn't reformat the page and there is no "pinch pull" option to expand or contract the screen area, I can zoom in a small area, but navigation is slow and tedious. Hope I'm doing something wrong and those features are available, but haven't found them yet. As things stand, the use of the internetand browing on this phone is EXTREMELY limited. Looking for someone to prove me wrong!

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    No pinch zoom on mine either, and it's clunky as well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what other comments come up on the matter. How above 25jive1? He's got this phone and Opera Mini as well. Maybe he'll chime in on how things are displayed.

Feedback Score
    The 800g has a resistive touch screen and I don't think that is a resistive touch screen that can do multi-touch. No multi-tocuh, no "pinch pull/zoom".

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    As I looked further, I think the Opera Mini version 6 is the one that has the pinch to zoom feature and not 4.3 - at least that's what the features comparison implies:

http://www.operamini.com/mobile/specs/

I don't have ver 6 (I have 4.3) - can anyone with ver 6 confirm this?

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info, unfortunately for me the lg800g doesn't seem to wotk like your phone, tapping the screen doesn't reformat the page and there is no "pinch pull" option to expand or contract the screen area, I can zoom in a small area, but navigation is slow and tedious. Hope I'm doing something wrong and those features are available, but haven't found them yet. As things stand, the use of the internetand browing on this phone is EXTREMELY limited. Looking for someone to prove me wrong!
    There is one web site that will look very tiny when I visit it - that's my work email and that's only when I forget to select the "mobile" login option. Sometimes I forget and leave it as "standard" and sign in and then Opera mini signs in anyway, and then I see the very tiny web page display. But if I tap the screen, or tap on the "Zoom" that shows on the lower part of the phone screen, it zooms in on the screen contents. On 4.3, I don't seem to have any zoom options, either zoomed out or zoomed in. No gradual zoom options. But it does zoom in by tapping the screen or tapping the Zoom button. Then it zooms back out by tapping again or by tapping the Back button that appears on the lower part of the screen (near where Zoom appeared).

At least that's how it's working on my 4.3 Opera mini. And by the way, when I log in on this web page, I am seeing the exact same view on my work email (which is a web-based email system) that I see on my desk top computer. I have to scroll around a lot, but I see everything. I do have to remember to toggle the "Mobile" version, then I don' t have to go thru all this, and then I don't have all the scrolling to do, etc. But it's good for me to know that when needed I can display this full view - because there are some advantages (for me) to have access to this full view.

I'd like to know if someone who has Opera mini 6 has more zoom options - i.e., gradual zooming. If so, I would get Opera mini 6 for my phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast